Proxy Open Alpha

Well it's been a busy development process for me :) I've spent the last 6 months on this game and I think it's finally at a point where I can let you all play it.

I've already posted here before on what this game is about so I won't bore you guys with the details.

You guys can find the download links here:
http://gamejolt.com/games/proxy/221194

https://icecliff.itch.io/proxy-amelia-and-the-giant

Of course the major purpose of sharing it now is to get feedback so if you guys have any ideas or anything that annoys you please don't hesitate to shout. Just don't destroy me emotionally :P

Thanked by 1roguecode

Comments

• I'm pretty interested in this game because of the coding stuff, which I think is a really cool idea. I imagine this will also mean the game is less accessible to non-coder gamers - but I think I read somewhere that you were planning on using this for education? If so, that is an awesome idea.

I started writing notes as I went along, but unfortunately I can't get it to stop crashing, so I haven't actually been able to really play the game.
    Here are the unsorted bits of feedback:

- Crashed on first load before getting to menu
    - Crashed in menu simply focusing the window
    - The mud right at the beginning doesn't tile correctly
    - Running against objects "bounces"
    - Camera movement is very rigid. It would look nicer to make it smoothly follow.
    - Music was very soft, and from what I heard didn't really add to the game.
    - Ship collider doesn't match the model
    - You might want to show some of the keys on screen. For instance, if you forget that "E" is the interact button, knowing what to do on the green hand icon might be tough.
    - Popup text should word wrap, not character wrap
    - Code window text spacing is too high, and makes it hard to read
    - Code window code block tabbing is incorrect, and can't block-select
    - Code window typing seems to be checking for "key is down" instead of "key went down this frame" making it VERY frustrating to type because every button I press does 2 unless I tap lightly
    - Coding to fix my first module, I backspaced the broken code and it crashed, opening the game again wouldn't let me continue
    - Actually, I've tried about 4 more times and removing that broken line crashes it every time (sometimes while backspacing, sometimes on the first letter I try type).

So overall, I'm interested in the game, but I can't actually test it because of the point above. All the other points are obviously less important.
    Is there a crashlog somewhere I can give you?
  • edited
    I got some feedback earlier so I've been working on a lot of those points already so hopefully those things will be fixed :) You'll have to ignore stuff like the music, I threw it together quickly so that the soundtrack code is in place but I'm not really a musician. I've been looking around for someone to work with.

Could you maybe check if there is a file beginning with hs_err in the main game directory? If you see that it's probably a memory issue. I don't know why but the 64 bit version of Java just keeps escalating in memory usage so I always suggest to people to rather use the 32 bit version. Crashing before getting to the menu makes me suspect it may be hardware specific however. Either way, I really apologise for the crashing you describe. It hasn't happened on a computer I've tested on before. In the next version I'll be sure to add an error log though!

The backspacing error was a silly bug that someone pointed out earlier so that should be gone as well now :)

I like the idea of making the camera follow smoothly :) Do you think it should zoom in a little on the player as well? I should also definitely add an "E" to the interactions. In retrospect it's really quite silly of me to have not done that already!

I think the code block editor just doesn't give enough feedback yet, you need to place blocks over the ones you want to place it on :) If a problem persists please let me know.

Could you maybe pm me your specs and operating system?

A new version is up so you can try that out and see if things are a little better. I'm in a crazy bug fixing stage where I'm reading everyone's feedback and trying to implement it :P Thank you a ton for trying out this early build though!

Edit: Sorry I realised I forgot to mention the current more stable version is only up for windows on gamejolt. I'm going to upload a stable version of Linux tomorrow after I've done a bit more work.
  • Impressive.
  • Earlier i said it was impressive but i shoud've clarified that i was making this opinion based on the images you presented. The game itself is slow on my computer and it crashed when i tried to go fullscreen. Maybe i had to extract the files first. Maybe it's because my computer, like myself are not Java friendly? Assuming this is java, i saw a jar file there. From the standpoint of a game using personal code it's impressive but as a game ready to hit the masses there's more to be done.
  • edited
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! Was it still quite slow when you brought the graphics down? If you're running 64bit java with it I'd throw that out the door and use 32bit instead because that's quite a resource drain. Please do keep in mind that it's open alpha, so I'm actually using this to find out things like hardware faults that I am not aware of :) could you maybe pm me your specs?
  • It's 64 Bit. More info in PM.