[Prototype] Shotgun Roller

[WegGL] rawrcreations.bitbucket.org/ShotgunRoller/

Was specifically trying to work with the mechanic of only moving by force. In this prototype I opted for a shotgun and skates to achieve that. At the moment its a endless survival but I am really only testing out whether this has potential or not.

The only problem I have at this stage is that it seems shooting less is better cause you get more control. I really want the player to move as much as possible so thinking about making the following changes:

* Flamethrower - will have a shorter range so the player would have to move closer
* Setting a minimum velocity so that the player always moves

Any feedback is welcome of course. Hope you guys enjoy it :)

Comments

• Hey.

Played it for a bit, it is quite fun and something different. Looking forward to see a few more options weapon wise.
    As you said shooting as little as possible is the easiest way to do it, and adding a constant velocity could work, but you could also try to maybe balance it with something else. For example while moving you build up a score multiplier, and as soon as you stand still you lose your multiplier or it slowly drains down again. So the player can balance and decide whether he wants/needs to take it slow or to keep his multiplier up.

Also I found myself suddenly on the edge of the map a few times and died to that. If it is intended its cool but you could maybe have a black and yellow "chevron" like pattern near the edges to indicate you are close to the edge.
  • @vince really like the multiplier idea. I think I am going to try and add that. I guess the edge doesn't quite look like one so I will try and make it more apparent.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • I remember @Kobusvdwalt9 bringing a game to a meet up with the same mechanics. Theming was different. The player was on ice skates and the gun was a machine gun. I think it's an interesting mechanic.
  • @Sugboerie Yeah this is something im still working on but Im going more in the direction of OlliOlli(http://store.steampowered.com/app/274250/) I really want to elegantly blend figure skating with zombie survival. Which has not been easy until now.

I will give it a play later cause I suspect you will face the same design challenges I did. Though I must say roller blades allow for a greater variety of environments, which is cool :)