[SA Game Jam 2016] King of Fools

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
Hey ! Didn't get nearly as far as I want, I will be carrying on until tomorrow though!
I am basically making a kind of survival RTS game, that has some Overlord elements.

LATEST LINK A BIT FURTHER DOWN.

Comments

• Very cool art style
  • Lol, Thanks! The most time I've spent on art here is making that grid texture. I've ignored art and sound for now, I will spruce it up post jam.
  • I love the simplistic art style, it's got so much character. It's like 3D pixelart :)
    Looking really cool, can't wait to try it out!

I've been playing some Final Fantasy VII again (8th time) and was just amazed again with how much expression they crammed into just a handful of polygons.
  • Such a village scene is always appealing to me in games.
    The cute simplistic voxel art style is also perfect, and fine.

I'm always jealous of the nice light effects and shadows produced by simplistic 3D art, in 3D engines like Unity.

Maybe it is time I start playing with the engine just for that reason.
  • edited
    #pieter Thanks dude! Plus you get to spend the whole weekend programming!

#Boysano Me too! I definitely want to work on this more. Something about a cottage and peasants mining wood. With foot soldiers running around.

Here's the link! It's broken as hell. The trees can procedurally place themselves, but I haven't sorted out spawn points yet, so I've just stuck with the current seed. My original idea was to make a strategy game that discourages Micro, and incourages Macro. It was harder than I thought :/. The feedback for the game is terrible, so I'm going to write a bit on how it works at the moment:

You can press 1,2,3 -> etc to cycle through the menu options at the bottom.
    1 (build) - build stuff, left click to place (to delete a placed building put the selector under it and click when not in build mode, then press delete. have to make that better)
    2 (set command marker) - at the moment there is only guard point. You can delete the guard point by clicking on it.
    3 manage resources (does nothing yet), I was hoping to make it so you can set whether you need more wood, or more food, and the peasants act accordingly.
    the only way to attack the enemies at the moment is to just place a guard marker next to them.

When the guards aren't guarding they just bounce around setting Idle peasants to work. And you can click on a peasant to change what resources he is gathering.

That's pretty much it! Hopefully, I can solve a bunch of the problems with the game post jam.
    zip
    zip
    1.2.zip
    11M
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Love the art style of the game - was a little confused about the controls! One quick thing: Have to use task manager to exit the game - couldn't figure out how to get out of it.
  • @dammit hey dude! Thanks! I just used Unity boxes for stuff, because I was confident I could art it up pretty well afterwards, but the code was scary. I guess I should add an exit method :P, I'm just using alt.f4 :( sorry!

I guess I better figure out how to make the units path find against each other. Goodbye life.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood