[SA Game Jam 2016] The Art of War

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
SA Game Jam 2016
Title: The Art of War
Level of experience: Student
Entry type: 72hrs
Team: Just me.

I took inspiration from Peter Molyneux's Curiosity where everybody is working on the same thing, chipping away and able to make patterns/images. That and my continued interest in asynchronous pseudo-multiplayer games where your run somehow influences other people's playthrough.

The plan is to do a sort of resource-management arena-shooter thing, where get allocated 3 colours and (where each colour is a different type of weapon) and must gather some amount of ammunition for all of your weapons in order to win. However the only way to gain ammo is to stand on a piece of ground that is of the same colour, and when you fire a weapon, it paints the ground beneath you in a different colour (I dunno, complementary or something). So the idea is that 1) you have to go find where other players have painted the colours that you need (probably with some automated system to ensure that you never run out of all colours completely) and 2) you can draw things on the ground, which other players can see (in the hopes that the slightly more artistic among us will end up with something interesting :P).

Controls:
- WASD to move around
- Left mouse to shoot (which paints on the ground below you)
- Tab to show a minimap (useful for finding other people's things).

Note that the minimap doesn't show you where you are, but it you do some drawing it will eventually update and you can sort of figure it out.

Latest download link: (v0.2) (64-bit):
Download
Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood

Comments

• edited
    You can change it to 72 hours if you work on it tomorrow.

Looking forward to trying this out!
  • edited
    Life yugetinthewayofmahjamming D:

I think I missed the "morning" part of getting something playable up but oh well, 72hrs here we come I guess :P
    It still isn't something I'd call a "game" but eh, call it MSPaint: MMO version if you like.

I haven't gotten a chance to put these in-game yet so controls are:
    WASD - Move around
    Right mouse - Shoot (the shooting part is pointless currently but it paints)
    Tab - show a minimap (which I'd like to add a "YOU ARE HERE" thing to, the world is rather large)

You can download it here (64-bit only): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EREEeORoUQLXJ1Zk5wOFVWaFE/view?usp=sharing

It *should* have all the DLLs and things that it needs, but do let me know if it complains about something.
  • Update:
    - Switched to automatic firing to make painting easier
    - Add a border around the player to make it easier to see when you're on top of your colour
    - Switch to left-mouse for shooting
    - Add a zoom-in at the beginning so that you can see whats around you

I probably won't update this further before the deadline, so what I have is essentially just multiplayer paint...probably has more use as an online "whiteboard" than as a game >_<

Download