[SA Game Jam 2016] Dominohnoes

Team: Mike, Colin, Luke
Level: Hobbyists
Entry: 72 hours

Build:
Windows Build

Not really a game yet, but we might come up with something later.

Not really what to say here.... it's dominoes. You can change colors to express your creation better.

We're thinking of having some obstacles to try and avoid, and to maybe have a goal for each level: Have 100 blue standing, 100 green standing, etc.

Will do a build soon, but here are some pictures:

imageimageimageimage
2016-07-09_2234_001.png
778 x 463 - 143K
2016-07-09_2246.png
701 x 447 - 112K
2016-07-09_2248_001.png
1050 x 447 - 147K
2016-07-09_2249.png
1050 x 447 - 133K
Thanked by 2Kobusvdwalt9 Boysano

Comments

• I saw a cool local multiplayer game with the same sort of concept recently https://dmgregory.itch.io/last-one-standing
    maybe you can draw some inspiration from that ?
    Thanked by 1mikethetike
  • Thanks. I will look after the jam so that I don't get disheartened by their superior ideas :D
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • Oooh! This is looking so cool. Can't believe I've never seen a domino game / simulator before.
    Will there be the ability to place forks and bridges over dominoes?
    Having the ability to reset and save your creations would be great so you can test different setups.

So much room for creativity, fun and expression here. Can't wait to checkout it out.
    Thanked by 1mikethetike
  • This looks like a rad idea! In terms of the judging, it's not that important that it be strictly a "game", but of course having elements that provide the player with entertaining goals (or trigger the player to invent their own goals), can make the experience a lot more fun.
  • Final build added. Not really where we wanted to be, but it was a fun exercise none the less.
  • Timelapse added:

We knew that we would have hardly any time, so that's why we chose an easier subject. At the end of it we spent about 15-18 hours over the weekend and Monday. We really would have liked to have gotten the bridges working (see end of video) but it was just too close at the end.

We also experimented with some terrain (see around 16:20), but I actually found this mode frustrating without having a way to build a single long domino run. It might have been less frustrating if you could have built ramps/bridges up the terrain, but we didn't get there.

Around 18 minutes, you'll see we made some counters of your standing dominoes by color. The idea there was to have a goal number of each color, for example 50 of dark blue, 50 yellow. We never really came back to this because I specifically wanted to get the multiple rows (up to 6) working and the elusive bridges.

This was a great jam. We're looking forward to taking part again.
  • I feel like I did dominos wrong :P

Thanked by 1mikethetike