[SA Game Jam 2016] Roll Out

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
Jam name: SA Game Jam 2016
- Project name: Roll Out
- Level of experience: Professional
- 72hr entry
- Team: @KleinM, @JacX808, @LizzyCaz @GeranBronn, @GunganKiller

This is 2 of our members' first game jam. More info and screens will be arriving soon.

[Update]
So we ran out of time. There is SOO much more that we wanted to add.... We will definitely add it later after the jam.

I realized no one will know the controls...
- To start the game just press space (the menu buttons is a bit iffy)
- If you are over a powerup, a menu will show, press 1 or 2 to choose.
- After you have chosen a powerup, press space for action

Here is the link to download and play (if you are able to play)
Dropbox: https://db.tt/h6XqY1PF
Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-J0rhp2PyIBZFphcl9wSDhhT1E

Comments

• edited
    Backstory of Roll Out:

You feel strange....which is weird because you've never felt before. All you can see is darkness and dust. Millions of questions enter your mind but one stands out and repeats itself: Who am I? A strange feeling of emptiness surrounds you. You start to move and end up knocking over the box you're stored in. As light fills your eyes you realize you are missing parts, missing your very identity. It becomes clear that your goal is to find out who you are and to escape this strange place. With great determination you roll out!
  • edited
    First look at our character - origin, name and species unknown... (0.o)

imageimage
    Front View.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 90K
    Persp View.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 121K
    Side View.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 95K
  • Character Update

Persp View Colour.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 125K
  • Ah dudes! Dat juicy camera movement :D Looking super good <3
    Thanked by 2KleinM GunganKiller
  • Sneek peak of the starting level:
    Thanked by 2EvanGreenwood Ross
  • That looks like a gorgeous start!
    Thanked by 2LizzyCaz KleinM
  • Hey I can't open the link. Please repaste it. Thanks! :)
  • @DizziLimpho, New dropbox link is up and working. Let me know if it is still not working
  • edited
    When I chose the spring in the first room I couldn't move horizontally while jumping. I found if I had a lot of momentum I could make the first jump but there wasn't enough room to run up for another jump off all the boxes.

This feels like it could be a fun puzzle game if the controls would be improved.

P.S. Please remember to delete your .pdb files before putting everything in a ZIP and uploading. It'll save a lot of space.
    Thanked by 1KleinM
  • Thanks @Fengol for the feedback. Getting the controls right is definitely something I want to work on next. I just used Unity's 3rd person controller, and that controller can't move while in mid-air
  • First off, the art is wonderful, really wanted to play more, but got stuck due to some issues that you might still be able to fix in the time left. Have the same issue as @fengol, not being able to move while in the air makes jumping tedious, given that's not possible it's needed to precisely orientate in order to make the jumps. The issue with that is that the character moves while it rotates, so it gets offset without the player intending that. I'm not sure if the second room (kitchen) is currently the last room, tried with the spring and the wheels and there seems no way to progress. Also, the in-world starting menu is great.
    Thanked by 1GunganKiller
  • edited
    Thanks @critic! Yeah unfortunately we just ran out of time to fix the bugs as we have to work today. We also planned to implement a feature where each exit option gives you a different part for your character (hair, patterns etc.) so in the end every player's character will look different. We also made a few levels that weren't implemented (will post images soon) that would randomise when you left one room (so every player's run through would be unique). And like KleinM said, we are definitely planning on finishing the game.
    Thanked by 1critic
  • Here are two early stage levels we made that unfortunately didn't make it into the submission. The idea was that the character makes his way through a house and the game ends when he finds his way outside where he discovers his final part to his identity.
    Garage Preview.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Study Preview.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 981K
  • Oh and the painting in the study is a photo of the development team :-)
  • Damn! But hopping over that cupboard in the second level is definitely the difficult path (the speedy shoes were much easier to control).

Liked that the levels each had different ways of playing out, and the art is very charming! (I didn't hear any sound, that might have made the levels feel more alive).