[Prototype] Revenge of the Letters

edited in Projects
"Revenge of the letters(prototype)"

Stop the letters before they enter and destroy "your building"... Tap on the ground to call "Mutated Delivery Vehicle" Tap delivery mutated vehicles for upgrades

Here is a link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dooF5J60ejUE5EaGZrbHNFVFE/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Can I suggest rather than just posting a seemingly random link that you let people know what you're linking them to i.e. an Android package file to install, as well as a description your prototype.

Why should I bother checking out your game if you can't get me at least a little excited about it.

Tom Francis' talk How To Explain Your Game To An Asshole is really good at explaining how to write a concise description. @dislekcia posted this some years ago and it's worth re-reading to remember how it do it.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Yes, you are absolutely right. I was extremely exhausted trying to get the game to run on an evil environment called Android for the past three days since my initial testing environment environment is windows phone. So last night I quickly made a post and passed out. I am currently doing a text that explains the game. Thanks again for the link and tip. I'll make an update soon!
  • Fengol said:
    Why should I bother checking out your game if you can't get me at least a little excited about it.
    Note, in turn, that replies like this can come across as confrontational or even hostile -- especially in text. I'm pretty sure you don't mean to communicate those sentiments.

@SkinnyBoy : the link posted above is pretty good. I'm interested in checking back here once you've got the writeup.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • I'm having trouble playing :( I get into the gameplay and it seems unresponsive, tapping on the ground / most of the screen doesn't seem to do anything. Those letters are just marching right up to my base, probably laughing at me.
  • edited
    I had a quick play, assuming you want feedback, below are some thoughts.

-Third 'car', the rightmost one does nothing when it hits the enemies
    -There is a disparity between vehicle abilities, first car is balanced to just barely be able to stop a wave while the second car feels too powerful, yet both of them are available with starting money
    -New vehicle menu can get cut-off if you select ground near the top of the screen
    -New vehicle menu doesn't update if you get coins while it's open
    -New vehicle menu has arrows, not sure what they are for
    -Weapon ranges of vehicles feel a bit low and mismatched
    -Art style is wonderful
    -Game overall feels cheerful and the presentation is very nice

Also noticed 'UNISA' writing, do they now offer a 'practical' game-design course, is this an assignment?
  • I also had a quick look.

• It's not clear that there is a grid system to placing the defensive systems (and the grid doesn't align nicely with the path) so you end up touching places on the ground that aren't blocks and then the popup doesn't pop up. It took me a while to figure out how to place defenses (also had the cutoff problem @critic mentioned) and I found this all very frustrating until I figured it out by trial and error.
    • Usually you get to place your defenses before a wave starts.
    • 20 waves for a first level is too many.
    • I found that when the waves are in motion I sometimes had problems placing defenses - it wouldn't recognise my touches on the grid. I got very frustrated on more than one occasion when I needed to place extra units and had the money but none of my tapping did anything and then the enemies passed by the point.
    • I didn't feel that there was enough money in the first few waves but then later there's so much money (probably from wave 10 onwards) that if you have three or four semi to fully upgraded units you don't even have to play anymore - you can just fast forward all the waves and they will get wiped out without any player intervention.
    • I agree that the ranges seem very small (until you upgrade), especially with the grid problem where, visually, you seem to be putting units far away from the path and then their range barely seems to touch it.
    • I found that all the unit types did work.
    • I also wondered what the arrows on the unit types are for.
    • I like the art style.

I'm also curious about all the branding - UTI courier, Post Office, Sky Net couriers, UNISA. It didn't occur to me that this might be an assignment. I was wondering about trademark infringement. I did also wonder, however, why you would be wanting to prevent tutorial letters from reaching UNISA. Surely you would want to encourage them to get through? I don't understand the concept. (I can identify with UTI, Sky Net, and the Post Office all being problematic delivery services, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if they zapped letters.)
    Thanked by 1critic