Fables of The Hearth - Pushing the limits of RPGmaker games.

edited in Projects
So I'm new to this community and I figured I should introduce my game from scratch.

Fables of the Hearth is taking inspiration from culture and mythology across African history to build its backstory. We're taking a look at failures and successes in the RPGmaker engine to see what's been well received and what's been poorly received in the past.

We want to take cues from Dungeon Siege, Planescape Torment and the more recent Pillars of Eternity in our graphical style as well as how we tell the stories. We're looking at a focus on characters, writing and an intriguing as well as truly unique world.

Despite our admiration for the Tolkien inspired mythologies used in other games, we want to avoid using those concepts as much as possible. We don't have elves and dwarves in our universe, we have humans and the physical manifestation of the memories of the dead. We don't have typical magic from which you cast a spell by saying certain words, we have artificially created souls bound into weapons and armor that give you access to certain enhanced powers.

The first video below is a song from our original soundtrack and it is QUITE excellent.

The first video here is the first developer diary that we did. (I'm not the best at speaking to a camera, I'm sorry xD )

Second developer diary right here.

Thanks for your reading time guys, it means a lot.

Comments

• Checked the first dev diary, always great to see folks keen on writing, I think you'll find a home with people who like narrative-driven experiences here! And your music-making-magic will make you super popular at dev jams. ;)

That said, it can be difficult to make RPGs like this stand out, and I'm trying to figure out if there's some other marketing / mechanical hook to invest players in your story from the get-go. Because one of the greatest challenges of this genre right now is that there's often an interesting tale to be told/listened to, buuuuut retaining players long enough to make them deeply care about your whole world can be difficult. An epic story is only truly "seen" after a few hours of play, I always feel.

Given your chosen focus on narrative, and specifically African-inspired storytelling, I have a few touchstones that you may or may not have tried. I hope they are fun and useful!

- Aurion, Legacy of the Kori-Odan (superbly, uniquely and genuinely African) http://kiroogames.com/en/aurion.html
    - Always Sometimes Monsters (pure narrative) http://store.steampowered.com/app/274310/
    - Undertale (Deliberate non-violence as a game approach) http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Hey man, thanks for the comment. I AM having trouble trying to come up with a short hook to try and convince players that I'm worth their attention. I believe if I sat down and described the world that the writing team and I have created it would interest the players, but that's a long process and I think is more of a "keep them in for the long run" thing rather than a "get them in the door" thing.

I still need to work on that.
    Nandrew said:

- Undertale (Deliberate non-violence as a game approach) http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/
    Big fan of Undertale, got and finished it two weeks ago.

I'll take a look at the two other links you listed as well!
  • You lost your primary writer, that's rough. I hope he's not claiming IP rights and that you don't have to rewrite ~20 hours worth of gameplay. So when is the new demo release target date now?
  • critic said:
    You lost your primary writer, that's rough. I hope he's not claiming IP rights and that you don't have to rewrite ~20 hours worth of gameplay. So when is the new demo release target date now?
    We never lost our primary writer, I'm the primary writer.
  • edited
    Uh, sorry, should have said just 'writer' or 'other writer', assumed too much. :/