Our StarTrek Game JAM project (The Age of Kahless - First Blood)

edited in Projects
So I discovered the Star Trek game jam (yesterday) and well let me be frank. I can't pass that up.

https://itch.io/jam/star-trek-jam

We have decided to build an RTS mostly because we love RTS games and partly because it's a game with a lot of opportunity to learn about balance and game play dynamics.

I will keep the post more about the goals we are looking for then the design details. Those details are on our Wiki as a game design document as apposed to here. Mostly so we can keep referring to them as we go. If you more interested in the numeric and building lists and stuff they available here http://info.celestial-games.com/doku.php?id=taok

Design goals.
  • Stay as true to the Cannon as we can.
  • Design each race to be driven by factors that suit them.
  • Fewer types of units and buildings with more tiers of subtle interaction.
  • Each side should have different goals that force a clash.
  • Design the game so that turtleing(not sure if this is even a word) is a bad choice not a good one.
  • Try limit the design scope to be achievable in the time allocated.
Since we only discovered this jam half way through we need to move a lot faster, so we really focused on up front design so we don't waste time. This will mean we less flexible about making changes as we proceed, its a trade off.

Some of the current story.
Like a hungry snake swallowing all the Romulan fleet raided the quadrant. Each planet robbed of its resources then left, desolate, consumed, and dying. But when the snake reached Qo'noS it was to learn Qo'noS is a bitter world to swallow.

More background
The Romulan’s had broken away from Vulcans only 500 years previously. A young race, a race that was still to find its footing. With only a handful of sub light space craft still operational. Raiding parties left the safely of their new home world to look for worlds rich in resources they could plunder and bring home to Romulas to build their new empire.

Sorry no pictures of screen shots yet, we only started on this yesterday. I will be adding to this post almost as a diary. We have a habit of forgetting to talk about what we up to so this will be good practice.

PS: If you a solid trekkie and keen to cooperate with us on the project please get in touch. Or if you also doing the Jam let me know would love to see what others are doing too.

Comments

• edited
    With the initial design out the way I spent today looking for a quick way to develop the maps. It's always a pain and I can't afford it to take to long or all the time will vanish into the maps.

This would be a lush region, I am planning lush, swamps and desert regions.

So its a unity terrain, with painted textures spread very far (So green is not a solid green but rather a rolling one, just makes the eye a little happy.) and some alterations to how the terrain sees its edges.

A bit of noise to make the flat bits more interesting. We also added a few prototype low poly tree's and rocks.

Edge detection filter was critical to help separate the area's.

All in all I am comfortable that building levels like this will take an 2-4 hours. Its still a lot of work but should be quick enough.
    terrain.png
    1845 x 996 - 1M
  • We have corrected scale and configured image effects the for the most part bring the low poly environment and characters together.

corrected scale with image effects.png
    1887 x 1006 - 2M
  • End of the second day all the Prefabs for Romulan buildings are done. Just arranged no code behind them yet.

I have been tinkering further with the camera does anyone here have any strong preferences for either of these two modes.

screentextured.png
    1044 x 565 - 1M
    screenflat.png
    1044 x 565 - 825K
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I personally prefer the top one.
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Fengol said:
    I personally prefer the top one.
    Thanks for the feedback, getting a split opinion so we need some outside minds :)

• Prefer the bottom one with the sharp edges. It's more stylistic.
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • pieter said:
    Prefer the bottom one with the sharp edges. It's more stylistic.
    That is my preference too. Fortunately its easy to switch between them for now.

• I prefer the top one too :) Especially don't like the light green next to the grass and the rock, but I guess that's just nitpicking.
  • Denzil said:
    I prefer the top one too :) Especially don't like the light green next to the grass and the rock, but I guess that's just nitpicking.
    Thanks, you right about the light green stripe. I will see if I can at least reduce that if we do end up going with the bottom of the two.

Travis
  • Ah man, so glad to see a Star Trek Jam. This looks really cool so far, very keen to see where you guys take this, and RTS so perfectly matches the ethos of Star Trek.
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • @Thelangfordian you made my day. Here is some art from our game as a thanks.

RPrivate.png
    278 x 281 - 151K
    WarrigulHandler .png
    273 x 277 - 141K
    Thanked by 2Fengol Pixel_Reaper
  • Small update. Klingon units (Except the Warrigul) these are the in game units.

We hope they identifiable enough, bit difficult to make too drastic changes to the models :) mostly I am just adding cubes to each. Programmer art is not the best.
    AllInGame.png
    1383 x 386 - 476K
    Thanked by 1Pixel_Reaper
  • Romulan Units now defined.

• I think you should consider giving the Klingon's a pitched head to represent their crested foreheads and to help distinguish them from the Romulan units.
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Fengol said:
    I think you should consider giving the Klingon's a pitched head to represent their crested foreheads and to help distinguish them from the Romulan units.
    I will see what I can do. It's challenging since the units are part of a prototyping pack. So limited ability to mod then.

• We missing the deadline for the Jam but will continue with our Star Trek RTS its been fun.

Here are some pics of the current game

More available on the Wiki if you eager to see.
    Thanked by 3Fengol pieter Nitrogen
  • When do we get a playable demo?
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • I want to play it soo bad!

Green and brown units on a green and brown terrain are either difficult to see, or could be worked in as stealthy mechanics...

Love the theme, and it is such a cool JAM theme too. Now I kinda wish there was a Stargate version.
    Makes it easier to get immersed into the world.
  • What ever happened to this entry? Is there a build anywhere?
  • Holy smokes, this looks epic!
    Sadly, I'm not sure if we will finish on time as we're still only assembling now :S
  • Hey guys, sorry! After the mad rush to finish on time and failure to do so, real life had been neglected too much.

We back on it, now with more space to do the things we want.

We using it to prove the grounds for Snap UI and testing the new Unity multiplayer tooling (looks great honestly).

Will keep you posted.
  • Boysano said:
    I want to play it soo bad!
    Great to know I am not the only one.
    Boysano said:

Green and brown units on a green and brown terrain are either difficult to see, or could be worked in as stealthy mechanics...
    The colors are team colors so they change as you play different teams. That having been said I do think the terrain colors are a bit too overly primary meaning they will conflict often with the team colors. Will take a little time to re-evaluate the color scheme.
    Boysano said:

Love the theme, and it is such a cool JAM theme too. Now I kinda wish there was a Stargate version.
    Makes it easier to get immersed into the world.
    Honestly I still think Stargate should be a x-com style game. Build bases do research hire staff send out teams handle combat as turn based 4 player scenarios. But did they make that, nope they made a shitty 4 person fps instead :/ WHY WHY WHY!!!! :p
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • Nadz37 said:
    Holy smokes, this looks epic!
    Sadly, I'm not sure if we will finish on time as we're still only assembling now :S
    Jams are hard to match the deadlines but if you learning and having fun then its not a loss.