Job Shadow for a Top 3rd Year Multimedia Student of UJ

Hello all!

My name is Glenn Groenewald and I am really interested and passionate about game art, design and development.

I am currently studying my 3rd year of Interactive Design in Multimedia at the University of Johannesburg and for one of our modules we have to complete 2 weeks worth of job shadowing. I am really keen to join the Gaming industry of South Africa as I believe it has a lot of potential and also I am just an avid fan of gaming.

I am a top student of my course and I have basic understanding of coding and an adept skill in drawing. I am astute enough to complete any challenges posed to me and I consider myself a team player. I foresee myself in this industry and I would appreciate any co-operation offered by anyone interested.

I am based in Johannesburg but I am prepared to travel around to Cape Town or anywhere that is available. Please may you email me at glenn.c.groenewald@gmail.com for any further queries or post here for a discussion and I will be happy to reply.

Thank you very much all and I hope you (have) all enjoy your Freedom Day Tomorrow.
Glenn Groenewald

Comments

• Thank you kindly!

Funny I have actually read it and am heeding it's advice. I have been doing a lot of research into the game industries of SA and I thought here would be a good place to get any information on which studios are seeking a shadow.

I shall be getting a hold of the companies I know of directly as this is imperative to get to know them better.

The more you know ya know. But I still appreciate the information.
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • It's a pity that you emailed me the exact thing you posted here. Would have been nice to at least see, "Hey, I really want to job shadow at *your* studio" but otherwise a good email/post.
  • Yeah I did send quite a few emails out to all the main places that primarily attracted my attention and that I knew about and could find as much information on. I did post this one first for a general audience because I understand that Game Development can be Job Shadowed quite difficultly so I would rather ask broadly here in case anyone is viable and willing to offer. I guess this infiltrated into my more direct messages. :p Oops my bad, a Tailor made message is always the best because each Studio does have something unique to offer to SA with all your promising projects to offer!

Woo! I'm Excited.

It would be awesome to Jam with all of you so I could see first hand what you are all about but sadly RaGe is too far past the semester break. :'(. Ain't gonna stop us from going though am I right?
    Unfortunately I am a bit pressed for time though if necessary I am sure I shall be able to organise with the uni a Work Shadow time more suitable to the Studio's priorities if the need requires. This is a profession that I want to do so if organised properly UJ would be willing to facilitate.

I shall keep up the good inquiring with direct emails to all the companies that I have researched with this in mind. I am sure if nothing else Something will be learned from it.:D
    The game continues. Pun intended. XD
  • edited
    RetroEpic's post on shadowing is a good one, with lots of excellent advice. Falling under the "know your goals" bit, understand that the day you do get a job it will most likely be in either art or programming or another area. It's great that you learned to code a bit in your course, but decide upfront where your area of interest lies and what you most want to learn and focus your applications on that.

That said, if we're not already on your list, drop Luma a mail. We do accept job shadows. Details on luma.co.za
    Thanked by 1Glenn
  • Are there any game jams in or around the time that you'd like to be shadowing? I feel like heading to a communal ludum dare event is probably the best way to learn about game development in a short timeframe.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • I am not sure if there are any game jams happening. Good question I shall find some and maybe post them here for all those interested. I am shadowing between the 18th of June to the 12th of July depending on projects influencing when I start the semester break.
    There are a few in Jozi, maybe I can book 2 weeks worth of these little jams and it would count for the whole experience! XD Lolz, if only...

As for my goals, I guess I have not made a decision yet which is true and I agree with you that that is one of the most important things to consider of it all. The thing is I have not seen all that much programming within the game side in my life and it would be interesting to know it more because it is the skeleton of a game really.
    That being said, the art is the flesh of the game and I know that I have more skill and unrefined talent in the visual side of the project.

I would say my ultimate goal would be in the industry, and I really don't want to sound presumptuous, is to be a project manager or someone that facilitates in the concept designing and managing the production of a game. Haha.. But that is for Future plans and I am really willing to start from the bottom because I still have a lot to experience in the industry. I would rather learn from the community and be apart of the collaboration to create quality content than rise ranks or acquire titles.
    I understand that the art side would probably be more in favour of concepting and story board but I am going to learn programming on the side cause you just gotta know it if you wanna do digital. I would say my key skills reside in the art side as I still have a lot to learn in programming where I have already learned a lot of animation and adobe products. But I am really interested in the programming nonetheless! :p

Any advice on what path may best suite that goal or any suggestions of a better or practical way is always welcome?
  • Glenn said:
    I am not sure if there are any game jams happening. Good question I shall find some and maybe post them here for all those interested. I am shadowing between the 18th of June to the 12th of July depending on projects influencing when I start the semester break.
    Hmm, I think you're more likely to find that communal game jams where a bunch of local developers get together to participate at the same place are going to be organised here, via the forums. They tend not to be that far in advance though, so you'll need to stay active and keep checking back ;)
    Glenn said:
    There are a few in Jozi, maybe I can book 2 weeks worth of these little jams and it would count for the whole experience! XD Lolz, if only...
    8 * 5 = 40 hours a week, 1 * 48 hour game jam = over 1 week of shadowing? That'd be the argument I'd make...
  • That is amazing. I am totally going to make a sound presentation to the lecturers with that. ;p It makes complete sense and will definitely be more entertaining for both parties! XD

Cool espitadas. I am always keen for some social games you know. Also to meet all you crazy people that make this industry what it is today. I shall be checking them out because I do have quite a few questions that would just be so much more easier to be answered in discussion as opposed to posts because one can elaborate more on the nuances, and there would be games aswell. Which is Always Awesome!
  • How's this coming along?
  • Hey Haha it is going slowly, not going to lie.

Though that is partly on me because I have been concentrating on my studies this past week. Gotta get the good grades yo! Though I shall volley another round of emails to some more initiatives I have found out about. I have given each thought as to how they would educate me in which field if design there are (aka Art or Programming or Designing and such) and shall elaborate in the emails this as well.

But right now I do have my work to attend to, I hope they won't mind emails being sent in the middle of the night. :D