List of Games Developed by South African Developers

edited in General
Hi Game Makers, I would like to make a list of Games developed by SA developers that would keep the information on a centralized place and give the developers more exposure to their products. The list will only display the Title of the game and be sorted under the year it was available. Your details of the game and your company can then be found in your post. Ultimately the list may be used by makegamessa to provide us a new category of our games (*nudge- nudge wink-wink). I'll update the list every now and then.

Just a few rules for your post :
- Feel free to add screenshots in your post but lets keep it as 2 per game as to not flood the thread with images.
- If you have more than one game, add them in one post and add any future games on your original post.

you can use the following template in your post :

Game Title :
Game Category :
Platform/s :
Year Published :
Short Description :
Link to Game :
Link to Project :
Developed by :
Email :

Screenshots :

----------------------List Of Games Develped by SA developers-------------------------------------

-------------------------Year : 2016
- Amazambane [Arcade] :
- AreaZ [Action/Arcade] :
- Bunny Bash [Action] :
- Deeper Darker [Action Puzzle] :
- Falcon9 [Shooter] :
- Phase Edge [Shooter] :
- Picdoku [Puzzle] :
- SHTR [Shooter] :

-------------------------Year : 2015

- Albert and Otto [Adventure Puzzle] :
- ERON [Action] :
- The Daily Grind [Adventure] :
- Sharkattack Death Match 2 [Action] :
- STASIS [Adventure Horror] :

-------------------------Year : 2013

- Beat Attack [Action] :
- Bionic Bliss [Simulation] :
- Bodybag [Action] :
- BOOOST Enhanced [Puzzle] :
- Bounty Arms Mobile [Action] :
- Boxer [Sports] :
- Cadence [Puzzle] :
- Cluster [Action] :
- Error Prone [Simulation] :
- Glass Acre [Action] :
- Landshark Missile Attack [Shooter] :
- Luminare [Puzzle] :
- Neon Highway [Action] :
- No More Boxes [Action] :
- Opera Sentai [Shooter] :
- Pizza Quest [Adventure] :
- PokEscape: Magicrap's Battle for Survival & Gyrodeuce [Puzzle] :
- The Maker's Eden [Story Comic] :
- Thumbper [Action] :
- Raptor Polo [Sports] :
- Snow Cones [Adventure] :
- The Uxchilan Horror [Story Horror] :
- Streamline [Puzzle] :
- Symmetric Torpedo [Puzzle] :
- Vulture for Nethack [Adventure] :

Thanked by 2ryan20fun Calvin_J

Comments

• edited
    Game Title : Picdoku
    Game Category : Puzzle
    Platform/s : Mobile Android
    Year Published : 2016
    Short Description :
    Picdoku is a picture puzzle game that work on the principles of the classic Sudoku game but instead of numbers you have a set of images. There is a 100 levels to play. The game trains your brain in pattern recognition, concentration and logic in a fun way.
    Link to Game :
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pic.doku.puzzle
    Developed by : BlueBadger Productions
    Email : bluebadger.productions@mail.com
  • Hey there, we have two lists that contain South African games. Not all of them but a lot.

Steam : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/makegamesSA#curation
    Itch.io (mostly prototypes and jam games) : https://itch.io/c/39646/south-african-games-on-itchio
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Game Title : Bounty Arms Mobile
    Game Category : Action - Plaformer
    Platform/s : IOS / Android
    Year Published : 2013
    Short Description : Shoot em up platforming.
    Link to Game : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kerosenegames.ba&hl=en
    Developed by : Open-Reset / Luma Arcade / Kerosene Games
    Email: bernkingbell@gmail.com (senior engineer)

Screenshots :
    video:
    Thanked by 1Calvin_J
  • Is there a difference between games that are available freely on a forum vs games that are being distributed by a partner like Steam, GoG or Humble? Right now just "published" doesn't seem to be very descriptive.
  • edited
    Hi dilekcia nah just wanted to compile a list of completed games made by SA developers, what do you suggest i replace "published" with ? "completed" ? I'll remove the term "published" for now to avoid confusion, thanks for the feedback
  • Hey @pixelnator really cool to see you putting an effort into collating all this :)

One thing I think would be rather good is linking to the individual threads of the games themselves. Additionally as dislekcia said the notion of published is somewhat arbitrary, or rather really arbitrary in some cases. I think this is a case of providing more information.

I think providing information on how people can get the game would be better than putting effort into trying to quantify what the game is. Genres are kinda bad at doing what they are supposed to do and lead to some really weird semantic arguments.

I think listing by year and then either alphabetical or chronological would be better than trying to group everything into genres. But now I have throw in a rather large but. This is also really weird and kinda difficult since games are often continual works which can initialize with one form, identity, and interactive entity (prototype) a over a course of months or years emerge with a different name, 'genre', and payment method.

I know this may sound harsh and disheartening, and I hope it doesn't since I don't want it to be, and really I applaud the effort! But it's kind of the questions that come up when dealing with the notion of curation. I suppose the better question might be: how are you selecting works from the current 656 items in the projects catagory and how do you intend to present them in a way that is easy for someone coming to this thread to find a suitable amount of information about a given work that would be relevant to the reader and to the current state of the work itself?
  • edited
    Hi Karuji thank you for the feedback. What you say make sense to remove the categories and just list the games, that would make it easier for me too :). I'll also suggest that the users posting their games can put a link in their post to the project if they have one. The list is basically just to display games made by South Africans that are completed or online to download or play. I understand that some games evolve with time but it is just to separate the games that are still being created and not in a playable state. The list can be useful to go see finished or playable games that South Africans made.
    I did not filter through the projects i just posted the games that were found in the links posted on the thread. So the user can request for it to be added to the list.
    Thanks for the input and help.
  • @pixelnator cool to see. One piece of advice I can give with the list is that you can embed the url into text using bbcode.

- [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/makegamesSA#curation/app/340680/]Bunny Bash[/url] [Action]

Ends up like

Bunny Bash [Action]

Which I think looks quite a bit neater, and easier to read than:

- Bunny Bash [Action] : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/makegamesSA#curation/app/340680/

Since you are listing categories on the side it might also be worth listing things like [Paid][Demo][Free][f2p][Prototype][Soon] which would be quite useful information to present to potential readers, and is more readable and concise than listing the URL after the work.

- Bunny Bash [Action][Soon]

Also I should raise the point of where that link should point to. I believe that most of those games have threads on MGSA where it could be possible to have a dialogue with the creator. Alternatively the link could be to the creator/game's website which provides them with greater control over the presentation of how the game is presented. Finally there is linking directly to a store page which is probably best if the intention of this list is to increase monitization of the games in the list.

Whichever of the above points you decide is the primary reason for linking out of the list I think you should establish an order of precedence for where the links should go. Like Monetization/Discussion/Presentation, or Discussion/Presentation/Monetization, but I think create these kind of standards for your curation will help people who interact with the list.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Game Title : Amazambane
    Game Category : Arcade
    Platform/s : Android
    Year Published : 2016
    Short Description : in Amazambane (potatoes) you play a crate collecting amazambane and avoiding the rocks and abathakathi (witches).
    Link to Game : www.ma22ka.wapka.mobi
    Link to Project :www.ma22ka.wapka.moni
    Developed by : MA22KA
    Email : ma22kagames@gmail.com
    level 1.jpg
    270 x 480 - 84K
    level 2.jpg
    270 x 480 - 93K
  • Hi Karuji good advice, i'll change the url to link in the title it would keep the lit even neater a you say. I'll then see what i can ad like the [soon] [paid] as additional information. I'll also put a project tag [project link] and link it to the project as you suggest. Today I'll change the url's to look neater. Thanks for the advice.
  • It might make sense to assemble this as a google spreadsheet, that way you could organise it based on whatever column you wanted to search for. Also, I forsee this thread getting a tad unwieldy over time ;)
  • Thank you dislekcia i have not used google spreadsheet yet but will look into it, it sounds like a good idea and easier to maintain.
  • Game Title : AreaZ
    Game Category : Action/Arcade
    Platform/s : Android
    Year Published :2016
    Short Description :You have been deployed on the research facility, BioCorp. A deadly virus has broken out and appears to take control of dead bodies. They hunger for flesh and are not easily stopped.You will need to be ruthless and exterminate hoards of walking dead in order to stop the outbreak of the virus. With your hazard suit protection and having an arsenal of weapons at your disposal, these zombies don't stand a chance. Or do they?
    Link to Game :https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DarkFactionZA.AreaZ&hl=en
    Link to Project : http://www.slidedb.com/games/areaz
    Developed by : Dark Faction Games
    Email : darkfaction.za@gmail.com

Screenshots :