[Comp G] Pinball Wars

Hi peeps,

This is my first post on MGSA, so Hello!

I'm making a 2-player pinball game for mobile where the object is to score against your opponent by getting the ball past their side of the table. I wanted to make a mobile game that wasn't anti-social - so players will share the screen from each end.

It's basically just a prototype at the moment, I haven't added menus or sounds yet. You'll have to start and quit unceremoniously.

Builds

You can download the Android apk here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2XOwyOjE3t4bGtwWXVPbzR5UzA

It would be geat if you could play the mobile version with a friend and give me some feedback on whether it's any fun.

Or you can play the web demo here: https://jamotaylor.itch.io/pinball-wars

Sorry the builds are so big, I must have left some superfluous stuff in the project, will reduce it for subsequent builds.

Ideas to add:
- Portals
- Gravity wells
- Points for hitting bumpers and other objects
- Points could be used for various gameplay aspects:
- as a multiplier for you score (win with points, not only goals)
- certain number of points put up extra defenses such as a blocker between your flippers and on the sides.
pinball_wars_start.jpg
200 x 320 - 15K

Comments

• I made a video of my play through of your game. I had a lot of fun although I was playing against myself.

I think the ball needed to be a little bigger.
  • Pretty close game, @fengol! Really gave yourself a run for your money.
  • edited
    Ah thanks @fengol! Geesh, you gave it a good go! I even got bored watching towards the end there ;P

I see you had some physics issues with the ball going through the flipper - I've mostly solved that now just by making the flippers a bit thicker and halving the "Default Contact Offset" in Unity physics settings. Wish I knew a guaranteed way to stop those sort of errors in Unity - anyone got any ideas?

As far as ball size goes, I might have to look at basing it off the screen resolution - really want this game to be a nice size on a 6" - 8" tablet. I have a lot to solve in terms of how I'm going to scale the game for different resolutions.

I'm not sure that the moving obstacles thing is working - In my next version I'm gonna make the bumpers and boosters stay in one place and randomize after each goal, that way you can focus on accuracy and skill, not just luck.
  • Yes, I think what's missing is that it still needs to be a pinball game with traps, paths and unlocks.

I would also change the scoring to points instead of kills. You can issue a bonus to the opponent if a player loses a ball if you really want. This would push the game back to being pin ball.

But I LOVE the speed ups. You need to make more of those available in an unlock sort of way.
  • edited
    Here's an idea for a board.