[Comp G] It's not the nail - a very short thing about empathy

In an effort to make @Gazza_N specify link in a new and undiscovered ways, I give you It's Not the Nail. A short vignette about relationships and empathy.

https://madewithmonsterlove.itch.io/its-not-the-nail (Unity HTML5)

Originally created for the MGSA "Unconventional RPG" 8 hour CT jam, it's presented here mostly unaltered from the original jam version. I had more ideas, but in the end I'm quite happy with how this turned out and I don't imagine I'll be working on it any further. Is it even a game? Well who cares, I like it - spelling mistakes and all. In particular I'm pleased with how much meaning you can get out of two circles and some text ;)

Thanked by 1dammit

Comments

• You're right - you've got a lot of meaning out of two balls and some text. I must admit that I made the gendered mistake of assuming pink was female and blue was male and when the pronouns appeared I had to re-envision the scenario :(
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • @dammit colour blindness strikes again! I was actually aiming for red and blue ;) I enjoy the idea that this is subverting gender norms, intentional or otherwise. But I do wonder if in the strictly pragmatic sense that is actually diluting the experience, especially because it's so short. Hrm...
  • I did actually wonder that myself because the story really happens in your head and if you have to rewrite it halfway because you made a mistake in understanding the gendering then perhaps some of the feels go missing. I'm not sure though and this might just have been my experience. Also, maybe we need more of this so that we more often don't make gendered assumptions based on colours.

Another option might be colours like green and yellow? Though, the emotional association with those colours is cold and unemotional rather than warms like reds/pinks. Urg. Complications!