[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 30 March

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 20 min slots
- Effective critiquing habits
- Iteration - Making Games To Get Better At Making Games

Focused Feedback - 10 min slots

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1692318724368505/

Comments

• I will let my students and ex-students know.
    Hope I can make it this time!
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Nudging everyone about the meetup. Those that are back from GDC (or other indie game travel experience), please do share your experiences or talk about a talk that you thought was really amazing!

Also, for those Cape Townians adding their entries to the MGSA comp this month, bring your prototypes for people to play!
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • If we don't get a complete saturation of traveller talks, I'll do a little something about effective critiquing habits. Been meaning to get on that for a while.
    Thanked by 2dammit LarsEspeter
  • Keen to hear about the GDC travels from folks!

I'm still working on my talk "Iteration - Making Games To Get Better At Making Games To Get Better At..." and should have it ready by the meetup, but I'm in no rush and very happy to delay it - the extra time can help with some revisions :)
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • I'll try be there, sound interesting.
  • @Nandrew: Looks like we're not overflowing with talks. I believe the GDC peeps are still recovering from con-plague. Is it possible to get your talk this week on such short notice?

@Francoisvn: Might need yours too :) Would that be okay?
  • Happy to talk tomorrow!
  • Yeah I think I should be ready on time
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • I'd like to suggest a GDC Vault screening of suggested talks once they start going up. So that would probably be one per meetup from next month, maybe.
    Thanked by 2pieter Cheatsi
  • I think that could be cool. Because the talks wouldn't be live and the speaker probably not there, we could maybe have a bit of a discussion on the topic afterwards?
  • Might be able to make it tonight.
    Looking forward to it.
  • Super late for this but if we need to fill up time I'd be keen for a focused feedback slot for a very rough prototype. I'd be just as happy to just show it a bit afterwards instead though as the game may need some babysitting at this point.
  • Going to the meet up :)
  • Cheatsi said:
    Going to the meet up :)
    YAY. So excited you're here!
  • Sigh. Wanted to make it, but this week's filled with events, and I miscalculated and need time to prep for a lecture I'm giving tomorrow. Sorry I can't make it tonight!