[COMP G] ZAP! (Zombies Are Primitive!)

Hey guys

This is my entry for the March game dev competition.

I want to start of by saying this is my first attempt at making a game, so expect my work to be quite primitive (pun intended).

The basic story premise is:

-The Primitive World has been struck by a plague that is turning all the primitives into zombies. The player is enlisted b y the Prime Primitive (creator of the primitives) to fight the zombies and restore piece to the world.

Gameplay summary:

-The game will be a basic top-down survival game.
-When zombie primitives are killed, they will sometimes drop primitive pick-ups that the player can collect and use to build new gear in the Prime Forge. A basic example, two rectangles can be combined with a triangle to make a sword.
-Enemies will evolve as the player score increases.
-If the player is touched by a zombie primitive, the infection count increases, if infection count reached 100 the player becomes a zombie and the game ends.

Here is an early screenshot:

I am attaching the first build (only includes circle enemies and there is no Forge yet):

Additions planned for next build:
-More enemy shapes.
-Tougher enemies as score increases.
-A better HUD to display score, infection and pick-ups.

As I said, I am quite new to this so any comments and advice will be appreciated.

Untitled.png
1165 x 901 - 29K
zip
zip
ZAP!_Build2.zip
45M
Thanked by 1konman

Comments

• Hey there! I'm pleased that you've chosen this compo as your first attempt to make games!

Now, being a judge, I can't reaaaaally play and comment on the game before you submit it for reals, but I'd like to pop in to encourage you to carry on working on your idea as far as you can.

The version you've posted is pretty early in development, which is why I think not a lot of people have commented on it yet. Protip: As games grow beyond their initial prototype forms and become more developed, they tend to start drawing more interest. Even without feedback I'll bet you've already learned a bunch of stuff though. ;)

Your list of next-build objectives means you seem to be going in the right direction, so keep it up! I hope you learn a lot more, and I'm looking forward to seeing the end product. :)
    Thanked by 2Kobusvdwalt9 pieter
  • edited
    Hey Guys !!

[UPDATE] Build 2 of ZAP! has been added (in original post at the top), it features:

-Enemy health that scales with score.
    -Rectangular,triangular and circular enemies.
    -A new HUD with an infection bar, pick-up indicators and score display.

Additions planned for next build:
    -The FORGE!! A place where you can construct weapons with your primitive pick-ups.

If any of you do give it a run, upload a screenshot of your top score, I'd like to see it.

Kind regards
    stofStorm
  • edited
    Hey @stofStorm, nice start :)
    Some mixed points of feedback:

- I really like the sort of melee triangle attack. Generally in top-down shooters like this you're trying to keep as far as possible and using guns, but in this you've got to keep a pretty close distance.
    - Enemy movement etc seemed good, and nothing unexplainable happened.
    - The UI is too big IMO. On my screen I would have easily been able to see what was going on if the UI was a quarter of the size.
    - Consider adding game controller support. You're halfway there because the movement works.
    - Although I like the close-up melee action, I died at 142 not because I was overwhelmed by enemies, but because my clicking finger got tired. Maybe you need to allow holding down? What about an energy level, and as you hold down it uses up the energy stabbing.
    - You say that health scales with score, but there isn't really any way to see that. Maybe your enemies need to change as they get stronger?
    - At the moment there isn't much replayability after the 5 or so minutes until you die. Looking forward to the Forge to see what that adds :) It sounds like that will keep someone playing quite a while, as long as there are quite a few things to build and unlock.
    - Great name
    zap.JPG
    637 x 355 - 23K
  • Is Build2 the latest build for the deadline?