What have we learned from games?

So as I was playing Darksiders II (mini review: gorgeous but very, very average game, and these days average isn't good enough) and it got me thinking: What have we as players of games learned from playing games, after all this time?

> If it looks like we should go *this way* (because game design!), we should instead turn right around and go the other way. Because "secrets".

> We learn that we should be going to the right.

> If it's a barrel, break it. Because "collectibles"

> We should hit anything we want to interact with.

> We learn financial management (somewhat) - I personally never spend anything until I have to, to maximise resource spend, because better stuff is always available later and more money spent in a chunk is typically more effective (in my head, I know it's not always the case). Other people might learn different financial management habits.

> We learn that red is bad, green is good (mostly, right? But robots/traffic lights do that too)

What else have we all learned from games without thinking about it?

Comments

• This article, and the book it recommends, touches on some of these ideas:

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/coming-of-age-with-video-games

The book "Game Life" argues that he learned quite a lot. Though it is a very personal account.
    Thanked by 2Tuism pieter
  • edited
    > The higher paths in platformers always has better/more pickups.

> Contact with spiky things hurt. Same for fire and green goo.

> Health, Ammo (resources of some kind) and chest high walls (cover) are a sign of a challenging section ahead (Boss fight).

> Hp is red, Mana is blue, Stamina is Yellow, and Coins are to.

> Monsters drop cash, gear and give experience when slain. The harder and enemy is to defeat, the better the loot must be.

> Ice is slippery and you glide on it (I hate this more than any other convention in gaming)

> X is jump, Start pauses the game.

> Things that glow are valuable, and you should moth towards them.
  • pieter said:

Unless it's lava!

• pieter said:
    I thought that was a typo at first. Bra. Vo.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Wasn't sure whether to make this too serious or to add some humourous lessons learnt ... so here goes.

> Bushes are stronger than armour and we should cover all our tanks with bushes.

> It is always funnier when it is done as a ragdoll.

> No matter how secretly you commit a crime, the entire world will know before you can even travel to the location.
  • What have we learned from games? I'll consider that literally in a mini-comparison between games and real life...

1) FPS: Camping really DOES mean the difference between life and death.
    2) RPG: The longer you play, the better you become and the more you can rely on your experience to succeed.
    3) ...

Also, as much as I love games and the learning they provide. Real life might be more educational than those anti-social, virtual, simulated environments called GAMES. Let's ponder....... Nah. ;-P
  • I've learned to read real-life maps much faster.