[Comp G] Quack

I'm making a basic FPS with a lot of zany weapons.

Been working on the level layout and I've got a basic ray-casting pistol working. Still building the level but also started on some AI to move around and bring the scene to life.

Download to play
Here (.rar) (updated 31-03-2016)
Zip version (updated 10-04-2016)

Postmortem
What worked well?
Probuilderp! OMG Probuilder is amazing and the best purchase I've ever made. I highly recommend it for anyone doing level design of any sort. It allowed to so easily construct a level and texture it.

What didn't work?
I'm not going to say time or distractions because those are always present. Rather an unclear set of objectives was my greatest hinderance. My objective, discovered only in the middle of the month, was to make as many different, crazy weapons as possible similar to the variety of weapons in the Ratchet & Clank series. I should have mapped their mechanics out and planned their effects before I started messing with level design and enemies, etc.

What would I do differently or change?
I think I should do more paper design before starting to code. And map out a set of goals and their implementation.
Thanked by 2roguecode konman

Comments

• Looking forward to seeing this progress!
    Out of interest, why is there 27ms of CPU usage?

Side note found by mistake and everyone except me may already know: If you remove the default Unity 5+ skybox you'll drop your tris down to a realistic number.
  • @roguecode, probably because nothing is optimized yet and I'm running this on a laptop with a graphics card.
  • I've made some progress. I've done more level development done and got the enemy shooting back.

I've stolen music from Brutal Legend in the interim until I can convince a music designer to give me some metal riffs (I think once the first level is complete with some particals).

Next update will contain a playable demo, I promise.
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • edited
    Messing with a pixelate shader for some juice.

Thanked by 2konman garethf
  • edited
    A playable version is available on the first post. I was messing with particle effects instead of making the level complete.

I'll be adding the next weapon and a proper end to the level.

• Cool ! I will play and give some feedback after class ends ;)
  • I think a little bit of screenshake when shooting will add a lot of feel to firing.
    It can also make the explosion feel more powerful! :)
    It's cool how the music adds so much to the feel without having any "graphics". :)
    Over all well done!

Karl
  • Random thoughts :

Atmosphere is awesome. And the time you spent on the explosion particle effect shows ;)
    1) Screenshake is a must like @karl182 mentioned.
    2) I also think adding some permanence is a good idea. Like some black textures where an explosion took place.. Or not letting the pink particles disappear when the zombie is shot.
    3) I don't like the lazer beam for the enemies. I think having something that can be dodged would be better. Like a rocket launcher..
    4) I realize its still early but think about adding more content. Wall mounted cannons, enemies that chase you and explode. Enemies that float above you. Pickups and powerups. Invisible enemies that appear every 2 seconds or what ever. These things are relatively easy to code and will add a lot to the game.

Are you going to design the levels in a quake 3 fashion, where its more of an arena, or are you thinking more of a quake 2 vibe where the levels have a start point and end point.
  • Thanks for the feedback, I will put screen shake at the top of the TODO list.

I'm going for a more Quake 1/2 point-to-point path. A lot of planned content is still missing ;)
  • Hitting options in the main menu seems to get the game stuck. Otherwise, looking like a good start
  • I've got the same suggestion as I said in the Sector I.C.E post. I think it'd show more powerfulness to know the player back a touch with each shot. Otherwise I'm really liking the look, and the progression you've made!
  • edited
    @roguecode, I presume you mean "knock the player back"?

@dammit, thanks for spotting the bug. It'll be fixed in the next release.
  • @fengol, yes. You can know the player back in v2 rather.
  • Minor update. Option menu has been fixed and a crappy implementation of screen shake has been added.
  • Minor update. Added sounds for weapons and explosions and changed the boring raycast line to something more interesting. It's amazing how much more interesting a gun becomes when you add even a basic sound.
  • Another update available on the OP.

2 weapons now available via pickup. Weapon switching. HUD update.

I know I'm not getting a lot done but I hope have at least 2 levels and 4 weapons in total before the comp end.
  • I'm in a mad rush to get finish. All I can say is thank goodness for ProBuilder because I wouldn't have been able to build my level at all without it.

Also a big thanks to @Gibbo for doing some sounds for me.

A new build is available on the OP although sans enemies because I need to redo their pathing before tomorrow.

I also don't know why the lights are flickering. It's not supposed to. And I haven't done any texturing so I'm sorry it looks crap.
    Thanked by 2Gibbo roguecode
  • edited
    The latest build (on the OP) is available with slightly better texturing and enemies are back. Screen shake has been updated as well as the length of time the shot particles exist.

Looking forward to your comments.

Got this message, when I tried to play this. What am I doing wrong?
  • edited
    @FanieG You have to click the Download button; it's not a web build. The message just says the website cannot access the compressed contents.

I'll change the compression to ZIP if it'll make things clearer.