[Pre-Alpha] Playable version of Survival of the Hobo: Zombies available

edited in Projects
Hello everyone,

We have worked hard on getting our game to where it is in the last 2-3 months and decided that it is time we let you guys test it out for us and give as your passionate feedback and criticism on how we can take this game further and make it a success.

http://www.obsessivenotion.com/blog.php?id=8

What to do in the game: Play the endless stage, collect coins from killed zombies and buy new guns.

Controls
WASD - Movement
Mouse - Aim
Left click - Shoot
Right click - Melee hit
I - Inventory

PC Standalone: Click Here
PC WebGL: Click Here

So the aim we have currently for the game is to have a very basic campaign alongside a bunch of endless stages. We want to make an entire city that we will break down into smaller pieces for the campaign. There is currently no plans to implement multiplayer due to the amount of time that will take but we do want to have a online scoreboard for the endless stages.

We will be doing regular devlog videos and articles on the progress of the game.

We wish to take this project seriously and will be working really hard to make it a success so PLEASE if you have the time check it out and let us know what you think will make this game better.

Comments

• PC Standalone link has a password.
    Thanked by 1Sonicay
  • roguecode said:
    PC Standalone link has a password.
    Sorry about that. Fixed
  • Good things:
    - Feels responsive. Even the WebGL version. It's also about the first Unity WebGL game I've managed to load.
    - Gun effect are fairly polished, and the shotgun and plasma gun make me feel powerful.
    - Nice colors, pretty visuals (albeit needing polish obviously), and everything is clear. Don't lose that.
    - I played for a while then died. Then was planning on quitting but saw the shop menu and realized I had coins. Once I realized that I played for another 30 minutes or so to buy the weapons (had to do this 3 times though because of bug below). Basically, this proves that the simple progression you have there is good.
    - I had fun playing it, so that's good.

Not good things:
    - I hit the same bug 3 times where one of the zombies falls into the water. You can jump into the water but once you kill him you can't get out. I couldn't find a button to open a menu to reset, so I had to refresh the page which loses all my progress. We had something like this in our game and it was not totally avoidable. As a safe guard we just kill enemies that fall below -1 Y.
    - The pathfinding was often confused. I like going inside the fence, but then they don't seem to be able to find me unless I walk towards them a bit so they wake up.
    - Difficulty progression was fine at the beginning but seemed to cap after wave 10 or so. With the plasma gun plus some strategy I'm not sure I would ever die. Note that I didn't get to 20 because of the water bug above. So maybe it does get harder.
    - I have no idea how to change weapons in the game. After buying a gun the first time I didn't realize you needed to equip it, so when I got into a level I wanted to change weapons. After mashing some keys a change weapon menu came up, but after I clicked it the game continued but at a reduced time scale (p.s. slomo hobo zombie slaughter is cool).
    - Controller support would be cool.
    - My health seemed to drop to about half then I would instantly die.
    - Little bugs aside, my only big issue with the game is why am I a hobo killing zombies? I'm assuming this will be addressed in the campaign?

Are you working on this full time (and alone or as a team)?
    You say you're taking the project seriously - does that mean you will eventually try publish and charge for it?
    Thanked by 2Sonicay Zaphire
  • @roguecode I really appreciate your feedback! Not only does it give good ideas for us but also it motivates us in a way to put even more effort in as I am sure other developers also experience when they receive feedback!
    I hit the same bug 3 times where one of the zombies falls into the water
    This is probably not really a bug but more a issue that we have not been focused on yet. I think once we have designed our city on an island I will put up invisible barriers where the players and zombies cannot walk.
    The pathfinding was often confused
    Might be some collision issues, will definitely have a look at it.
    Difficulty progression was fine at the beginning but seemed to cap after wave 10 or so
    Currently as it stands I have 2 modes. Endless which works on a formula that will spawn more zombies every level and a campaign type mode where I preset the amount of "points" allowed per level.

Its basically a point system where say level 1 is 10 points then it will spawn zombies that will total those points. Basic zombie for instance is 1 point where a boss zombie is 5 points.
    I have no idea how to change weapons in the game
    I forgot to mention that in the controls :( (Facepalm) The buttin is "I" for inventory.
    slomo hobo zombie slaughter is cool
    We have something planned like that where maybe it activates on a drop or when you kill x amount of zombies in a row.
    Controller support would be cool.
    I think this is definitely something we would look at once the game is completed because it would work perfectly with the small amount of keys.
    My health seemed to drop to about half then I would instantly die
    Strange that it happens. Not sure if it might be an exploding zombie that you shot or a bug with the damage reduction.
    why am I a hobo killing zombies
    Campaign will definitely show it. We are planning a short campaign (2-3 hours long) but with a funny and innovative story.
    Are you working on this full time (and alone or as a team)?
    We are a team of 2 where I do most of the dev work and Sonicay does most of the design work. We do it part time or at work when we aren't piled with other work.
    You say you're taking the project seriously - does that mean you will eventually try publish and charge for it?
    What we really want to do is sell the game on steam similar to http://store.steampowered.com/app/268220/

Thanks again for taking the time to play our game and give us feedback!
  • edited
    I like the UI and menus and the game looks like a lot of fun to play. I like the menu ... nice and clean and very simple. 8-}

Sounds are good ... extremely loud. 8-}

The only thing that freaks me out is the health bar around the player ... it is distracting. I prefer the having a health indicator on the hud, I already have to look there for my ammo and weapon counter so I might as well look there for health as well..

I would probably look at a mini-map so that you don't have to go hunting Zombies ... not sure if that would kill or change the mechanics or game play.

Does it support a game controller?

This is just my feedback from the video ... I obviously will give it a play when I get a chance. 8-}
    Thanked by 1Zaphire
  • This looks like a lot of fun! Reminds me a little of Crimson land!
    I will give it a play when I have time! One thing I have noticed, it that it seems as though the "listening" component is at the character. this makes the sounds pan left and right every time you change direction and it is quite distracting.(It may just be for me as I am a sound guy haha).
    A better option might be to have the listener be at the camera, as then we will be seeing and listening from the camera's point of view, and this will make the sound fit better in the game.

Well done so far!

Have an awesome day!

Karl
    Thanked by 1Sonicay
  • edited
    karl182 said:
    One thing I have noticed, it that it seems as though the "listening" component is at the character. this makes the sounds pan left and right every time you change direction and it is quite distracting.
    Yes you are correct, I wasn't sure if its a good or bad thing but I do agree with you that it will sound better to have the listener at the camera. Thanks for the feedback!
  • My pleasure! Yes especially with head phones or properly spaced speakers the effect is quite jarring.
    I will give it a try later today! :)
    Thanked by 1Zaphire
  • @Zaphire Cool I finaly got around to playing it! It is already a whole lot of fun! I think i got a world record score of 536. :)
    I think it can be cool if you can choose 2 guns between waves and them maybe switch between them on the fly with the mouse wheel. could be cool to have an uzi and then a grenade or rocket launcher with limited ammo, and switch between then depending on which enemies you are currently facing.
    Just a thought. :)
    But it plays really well already and I am keen to see where you go with this!
    Well done!

Karl
    Thanked by 2Sonicay Zaphire