Hangar 18 (prototype)

edited in Projects
Hangar 18 is a top-down action game prototype...

Take-off and land in the infamous American twin-engine, straight wing jet aircraft, the A10 Thunderbolt II.

Unleash its 30mm screaming cannon, AIM9 air-to-air missiles, AGM65 Maverick air-to-ground retribution on enemy forces down below or activate the ECM Pod to counter incoming surface to air missiles.

Download playable demo here: Hangar 18 v0.03 for PC (52 MB)

This is an early prototype inspired by the game Zone 66 for DOS.

Note:
You can land on the runway if you have the right approach angle.
There is a store/hangar for shopping when you land.

I want to use this as a base to learn more about UNET networking.

Thanks for your time. Your feedback, as always, is much appreciated.
Thanked by 1critic

Comments

• Hey man! I had quite some fun with this very rough prototype:

Here is some Feedback:

The enemies are interactive and don't just fire away at you permanently - I like that!
    The movement feels a bit restrictive and the turning circle is a bit tight because I feel like 80% of the time I am missing the targets. The same applies to the different weapons: firing at enemies and hitting them is a very technical task and if that is what you want then great but I think it could use a bit of refinement especially firing missiles and calculating the distance it needs to cover before hitting the ground... missile weapons are super fun in shooter games but require a larger amount of skill to use than ordinary rifles/rapid fire versions so it is important that the balance between using a fast and weaker gun and a slower more powerful gun is equal...

I like the openness of the map and that you can retreat to your airstrip when you feel...may I suggest something?

I don't know if this would work but maybe you could give a time window after being critically hit to suicide-bomb into a nearby enemy unit to try and damage it/destroy it in a last attempt scenario...kind of like the Kamikaze pilots in Japan
    Thanked by 1konman
  • edited
    @Mexicanopiumdog Thanks for taking the time to play-test and feedback! :) Your comments are noted and I'll consider it in future builds. I still need to tweak a lot of the parameters to improve the "feel" of the game.

I have uploaded build v0.02 and also added a new game-play video now that I have added the large terrain yesterday that I wanted to do.

The new terrain is approximately 2x2 km in size, hence the jump in size of the zip file to 50MB. I still have to decide how to deal with out of bounds flying... maybe a "turn back" timer in the no fly zone outside the map or something?

I have tweaked various settings like making missiles fly faster, but others like the A10 handling and scale is still wrong I'm afraid.

Edit: After taking a break and viewing the video, I realise the current gameplay is too rigid and stiff for an action game. Pedestrian even. Needs work.

The new terrain and scale:
  • Sorry about this, do you mean Hangar instead of Hanger, meanings are quite different?

As for the actual game, it looks wonderful, loving it, it's a very good concept.
    Thanked by 1konman
  • edited
    @critic DOH, you're right! :) Do you know how many places I need to update now! *Facepalm*

Thanks, I'm adding health and damage at the moment. The enemies "level up" with each hit to the player, giving them extra damage and health :P
    Thanked by 1critic
  • UPDATE: Hangar 18 v0.03 (download link updated in original post)

CHANGES:
    Fixed spelling error in title (sigh)
    Controls revamped
    New UI elements (health/fuel/weapons/ammo)
    Enemies can level up
    Enemies now take damage and die
    Cash earnings
    Player ammo now depletes
    Hangar/shop purchases functional

KNOWN BUGS:
    AGM65 must not hit air units
    AIM9 must not hit ground units
    AGM65 to deal radius explode damage, not direct collide
    F29 units are overpowered (due to level-up on bullet hit)
    Crater decal sometimes scaling as a stripe
    Crater decals in river (maybe do polygon collider check)