Oculus Rift VR Mining Safety Simulation (Help with target market?)

Hi my name is River Smith, I have been developing a mining safety simulation with the Oculus Rift for the past 11 months. At this point the proof of concept is nearly complete, and I have been tasked with marketing and relations. But I have no idea who to contact and how to get someone important actually trying the damn thing out. Sorry for the needy post, I don't expect anyone to just provide such important information. Just a little advice would be great XD

Comments

• I'm surprised you went ahead and developed something like this without having a client already lined up... How do you know that your sim is accurate and covers the correct safety stuff it needs to? If you're working off a specification or some sort of industry guidelines, perhaps contact the body responsible for putting that information out there and go from there?

I've done mine safety VR work in the past (over a decade ago) and it was always very specific to a certain mine and equipment cross section, so I'm not sure how a general app-based approach is going to work out.
    Thanked by 1ZEFcookie
  • If you have the funds, there are companies that can provide user testing. We're using a company called Flow at the moment - they look pretty good at this point in time but it's our first rodeo.
    Thanked by 1ZEFcookie
  • Sorry for being so vague, I'm new to the whole community outreach thing. I am working with engineers and employees in the mining industry. And the product at the moment is specialized( although it does use a prefab like event system which allows me to add and change scenarios quite easily.(I know specialized products are the way to do this kind a thing.) It's just the mine still seems very meh -_- To the idea. So I thought creating a broader selection of training within one larger over-world would be the way to go.

At the moment it's mostly focused on heavy duty machinery like LHD's, dump trucks and drilling vehicles. It's just really hard to make time with mine-captains and shit. And my team at the moment is just me and one other guy, So we are looking to gain investment through a proof of concept sort of process. Developing a full product with two people is really out of our scope at the moment.

The hope is that a more open approach to mining simulations (One package with multiple training scenarios, with more packages releasing later in the development(Like DLC).Will make it easier to market) I think the simulation industry now is more segregated than pharmaceuticals. It's like if The Sims had a separate games for menial tasks like pooping and washing your hands.

Some tasks do remain specialized, but theirs nothing to say a lot of those tasks couldn't be bunched together in a similar category. Thus "Hopeful Product" ...

Please note my writing skills are crappy XD
  • And thanks for the advice "dammit", but we are in quite the opposite boat. We have a potential product, just no funding, and yeah first rodeo here too XD
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Hi River

I would like to chat about your work.
    You can pm me

Thanks
  • Hi River

Please contact me. Thanks

Craig
  • Contact these guys: http://www.vsv.co.za/visuals.html#bottom
    They work with a lot of mining process animations and may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Speak to Christo and tell him Nic from Burn sent you.