[Prototype] Mosh-pit Simulator [Warning: contains explicit imagery and heavy metal \m/]

edited in Projects
Hey!

Here is a prototype of a mosh-pit simulator that I am working on. I jammed the core concept out at Amaze, then recently made it playable at the WWISE jam.

http://creative630.itch.io/moshpitsimulator?secret=KR0ZuuBtV4oS2smvkFR5LwIh7g

its a pretty rough proof of concept at the moment.
Let me know what you think :)

Controls:

Mouse + Left mouse button

[Edit:] I just added a unity web build to the itch.io page.

Comments

• edited
    I like the way the little people bend over when they run.

I'm not sure where you want to take this, but I think there's some opportunities for humour, and some parts of the mosh pit experience that I would like to see represented.

A) Mosh pits are often just a couple people running around in a small area with a lot of people ambling normally to the music around them... I'd like this game to capture the resistance to starting a mosh pit better... so maybe have smaller goals at first, with just a few people at the concert, and then only in later challenges to have a massive concert (that we need to work harder for).

B) I'd like to be just a regular metal-head, not a massive person. I also want to be pushed around, I want there to be situations that I'm not able to mosh hard enough to overcome, that I can't just take head-on. I don't want to be the strongest person in the crowd, but I do want to get everyone into moshing. I think having larger metal-heads be harder to convert, like they need several people ramming them at once, would create a bit of strategy... like the way in Katamari Damacy you can't pick up the big objects until you've picked up a lot of small objects.

C) When there is some more art-content in the game, so that the different moshers aren't all identical, I'd like for some of the crowd to present unique challenges about how we approach them... I'd like there to be parents with small children, or the elderly, or people carrying lots of drinks, and the band members themselves, and I want each of these groups to have their own conditions for joining the mosh pit... I think it'd be humorous for the mosh pit to move to other settings, like the carpark outside, the shopping mall nearby and the neighborhood church. I'd like for the mosh pit to pick up people who don't normally rock out.

D) I want the mosh pit to solve serious societal problems, like domestic violence, obesity, the anti-vaccination movement, racial tensions and the thoughtless behavior that contributes to global warming.

E) I want parties big and small, from bars to the Olympics, to hire me to set up mosh pits. I want to work my way towards fame and fortune, and I want to recruit a team of crack moshers, each with their own unique traits and abilities. I want to journey with them, scraping together money to equip ourselves and furnish our local sportsclub/drinking hole, weathering the damage, both physical and psychological as we go. I want to experience with them their triumphs and failures. I want to mosh with them through fetid cities and then to glance back over my shoulder to see those same cities restored and gleaming.

F) I want to, through moshing, restore metal to its position as the pinnacle of human expression. I want to give rejected and alienated metal-heads purpose and for them to dream once again.
    Thanked by 1creative630
  • Such a cool idea. Wish I had thought of it
  • @mikethetike Feel free to try your own take on a mosh-pit simulator ;)

@EvanGreenwood Thanks for taking the time to give me so much feedback!

B) I chose a big metal head because it was quite frustrating to bump into people and get them going when you were the same size. So for the jam I went with a bigger metal-head to get a faster arcade-game feel. Will definitely try a smaller metal-head again and be more simulatory.

A C, E, F) A progression system would indeed make it better. I love the idea of starting mosh pits in everyday crowd-filled areas. Shopping malls, retirement homes, bank lines... so much humour to explore <3 Also I feel alcohol should definitely be a way of getting the mosh pit bigger, faster.

D) I had this idea when the national student protests were going on! A mosh-pit protest would be so much more effective. All the crazy violent students would be in the mosh-pit and not inciting violence with the police, while the more chilled students could just be spectators to the awesomeness.