[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 30 September

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 30 September

Temporary venue change as 22seven is booked this month:

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks:
- Peter: Sturgen report back!
- Regina - ‪#‎67EducationalGamesFor67UnderResourcedSchoolsForMandelaDay2016‬
- AMAZE Hypertalks: Rodain, Ben, et al.

Focused Feedback
- WordPress API

Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

After AMAZE, I'm sure there's loads to chat about, present on and share, so please do! Especially for those of us who couldn't make it this year.

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1490447604588777/

Comments

• This event is free to attend and anyone may show up? I am a ~very~ junior game developer and won't be demonstrating any work, BUT I would love to see what other people will be showing. Is that okay?

Also, is this monthly event in Cape Town every month, as well as in Joburgh?
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • @Galacticuz: Yes, you are most welcome! There are no restrictions on who can join the meetups :)

The CT meetup is on the last Wednesday of every month (except December cause of holidays) and I believe the Joburg meetup is on the 2nd Tuesday of every month.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Yes, please join @Galacticuz :) It's all about getting to know one another and we're definitely not about excluding new devs! You also don't need to be showing your games to be able to attend. Most people attend regularly without showing anything - it's a very social and relaxed vibe.
  • Ah cool, thanks! Looking forward to being there then ^^
  • I would like to submit Arcade Finger Twister for a short focused feedback session. The feedback would be focused on where to prioritize development. Either a new arcade controller and associated gameplay aka. AFT 2.0, trying to find more fun and longevity with the current game or move on to other projects.
    Thanked by 2dammit NickCuthbert
  • Hi guys

I'd like to submit a short focused feedback session on potential use of the WordPress API for games. I'd like to validate whether or not the upcoming API in WordPress core will be of use to the games community as well as what would need to be in there for it to be useful.

Thanks,
  • Radness. I think the event is pretty packed with talks this month (thanks everyone!) so I'm capping it here.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Wednesday night!

• Right - So, since we're in Woodstock this month, we're thinking of getting dinner before the event at Taproom | Devil's Peak Brewery [http://www.devilspeakbrewing.co.za/taproom/]. We'll probably need to book so please let me know if you're keen on joining us (so far, myself and jem).
    Thanked by 1NickCuthbert
  • A team mate can't make this months meetup anymore and I see we have quite a number of talks. So I would like to postpone finger twister feedback until next month if that is ok?

Also, @dammit what time are you all heading to Devil's Peak?
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • @dammit: I'm in for Taproom!
    Thanked by 2dammit NickCuthbert
  • We're aiming to get there at 5pm.
  • edited
    I'm in. (for taproom)
  • Er... I went to give a game industry talk at AAA School this morning. The class was 3rd year graphic design students, but many of them seemed really interested, and I was punting Wednesday's meetup pretty heavily.

I'd really like to make it so that I can be there as a familiar face, but being so close to release I'm not sure I can make it. In case I'm not there, it'd be really great if you kept an eye out for them and just followed up and try to turn them from spectators into participants. I'm still going to try make this one though, though I probably won't join for dinner.
    Thanked by 2Squidcor dammit
  • @Elyaradine :) I'll look out for the AAA school people - Hopefully you had a bigger influence on them than I did on the R&Y students.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • I'm going to join as well. :) In for Taproom and meetup.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Fantastic. I've booked a table for 8 now at Taproom under "MGSA".
  • Forgot to confirm, I'm keen to join at devils peak! Might be a little late depending on traffic.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Super late RSVP but looks like I'm able to finish up work early enough to join for Taproom, thanks for organising!
  • Not gonna make it to devils peak in time :/
  • I want to say thanks again to everyone who spoke tonight. You were all super fantastic and really make the meetups an important event worth attending!

And to everyone who came through too - you're also all super fantastic and a reason to attend again :D
  • Thanks again for having me last night, I appreciate all the feedback that everyone gave for my Focus Feedback talk. It has helped my thought process quite a lot :) See you all again soon!
  • What an awesome meet up! Was so bummed Anja and I had to bow out early; she was feeling very under the weather :( I trust post meet-up drinks were great!

Thanks @dammit for putting together the lineup and @LexAquilla for the impromptu talk in place of Regina. Was very interesting to hear about your time at Gamescon!
  • Ah, sorry to hear that. I hope she feels better soon, @Benjets