Which one of the 2 Shaders do you like most?

Hi All.

Please help me out. Can't seem to choose between 2 shaders I wrote in unity to simulate an Energy shield. Can't make my mind up.
Option 1 - No Shield Display until hit.
Option 2 Shield always Displays when active and shows the hit.
Video Shows Both. Camera Zoomed in on Ship to show shield close up. Please tell me which one you like more
Thank you!

Comments

• Damn that's a tough choice. I think the second one is better in that it gives better feedback on your current status. Like, if I see the blue sphere I'm more likely to engage enemies. No sphere - careful.
  • I think it's up to permanence.
    What I mean is...

if the shield a a permanent feature...
    Then Option 1 is better.
    I won't need a constant reminder that it is there.
    And the constant bright blue orb obscures the ship.
    (Though Eric makes a good point about feeling secure - see third option below)

BUT
    if the shield is temporary (like a shield pick up, or an activated ability)
    Then Option 2 is better.
    With that I have a strong indicator that my pick up is still active.

THIRD OPTION - middle ground
    Have the shield display constantly, but very translucent, so that the ship is still very visible.
    and then make it flash like Option 1 when getting hit.
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • Thanks guys.

The shield must be activated manually. Cost big hump of energy when activating it. Energy does recharge overtime.
    So I thing I am going to do the following.

Shield is visible but very translucent when active. Shield will drop when going into hyper speed , need to still add this. Video is example of speed boost( camera pulls back and shakes ). This will stop players form speed boosting the whole time. Cause putting up the shield will cost you.

( Excuse the bad fps. Bloody screen recording software kills my PC )

• Option 2 looks much better but Option 1 would probably be more efficient.

Personally I would like to see Option 2 with the permanent shield being even less visible with the same effects it has when it gets shot.
  • Visually, I prefer the first approach. If you didn't have a UI element indicating shield remaining, I'd so with #2 since you'd need it to provide more information. Since you do seem to have that UI though, #1 all the way :)
  • I agree that if the shield is something you activate, go with option 2, show it for the duration that it's up.
  • Thanks Made up my mind. Second Option. Made the shield more translucent. The impact size is smaller and time on the shield is now shorter.

Again, excuse the bad FPS.

Thanked by 1garethf
  • Just want to say thank you for your input!
    Thanked by 1garethf