Finding a contract for freelance art

Morning.
I'm working with some local artist who are contracting at an hourly rate to me, making art stuff.
So I'm looking for a pretty standard contract that basically says "I'm paying x per hour, all the art you make for me is mine".
Does anyone know of where I could get something like this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Fastest way I know, is newly minted project contract() :).
  • I did not know that existed. Thanks @bensonance
  • Wow, fancy. Thanks a lot!
  • So I've been wondering about contract(), I saw a lawyer on reddit the other day warn against it over a regular contract.

Is this unfounded?

I haven't seen the actual agreement (it won't load on my phone), but nothing on that page suggests this is anything you should rely on at all. The removal of "legal" talk or state/country specific laws probably means this is as useless as having an email agreeing to work together.

A few other thoughts:

1) The biggest purpose of these contracts is to make sure you own the work you're paying for. It sounds like this contract doesn't even do that!

2) To that point, the comment above about needing to go to court to enforce these agreements is wrong. What is most powerful here is when Apple or someone else gets a takedown notice for your game, you can just simply show them this agreement and prove you own all your assets. Going to court is so 1990's.

3) you usually get what you pay for with these agreements. So, just be careful.

((Going to post this as a parent comment also so OP sees))
  • Um. It's probably worth using this to emphasise to artists themselves that there are a bunch of conditions for how your work can be used. If someone's paying you to make work for them to own, where they can modify it, or reuse it in other projects, or resell it to other people, you should be charging significantly more than if you're making art for a specific project, where you own the art, but they can use it for that one project only. There's a reason there are different types of contracts. You should know how your art's going to be used when you're giving a quote.

(I've been pretty lax about it myself, both because I'm an idiot and because I don't actually need freelance work. But if freelance art is your career I believe it's pretty important.)
    Thanked by 2dammit Jelligeth
  • I'm not a lawyer, just an artist finding my way.
    My understanding is that contract() will be perfect for use, because it correlates well with the rights content creators actually have (even those they didn't know they have, and perhaps specifically need to hand over.) The trouble is that contract() doesn't work well with the legal mindsets you find in the US. You know, the sort of mindset that still believes EULA's work :/ . My guess is that that redditor is posting from that stance. Be very wary of adopting a US methodology when our copyright laws are so different here.

Tempted to light the Nicksignal
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • It's a nice light-weight agreement. In the South African context, there is only one thing I'm overly concerned over and it relates to the ownership of IP, in order to actually transfer ownership to the Company (if this is the option you choose) you'll need to change the word "transfer" to "cede and assign".