Job Shadowing Opportunities

edited in Questions and Answers
Hello everybody. As part of my schools grade 11 syllabus, we are required to arrange job shadowing and a work area that we might be interested in. As such, I am wondering if there are any developers in Johannesburg that are willing to allow for myself, and probably a few others, to job shadow for three days (dates not yet confirmed) in July. If there are any, please provide me with a means to contact and arrange the dates with you.
Thank you very much.

Comments

• edited
    Hi. There are indeed a few developers operating in Johannesburg. Some of them might even be willing to facilitate your job shadowing. Correct me if I am wrong. As I understand job shadowing, the point is for you to find a professional in the profession you are interested in and observe them. These people work at companies, and the companies are unlikely to chase after you to offer you the opportunity to job shadow one of their devs. You must understand that you are asking for valuable time and resources. The very least you can do to make a company even consider an investment like that, is to do some research and to contact them personally.
  • Hi Samurigarr. I'm not a professionalized game developer, so I can't offer you shadowing myself... but if you find it tricky to get a response here, then please come through to our next community evening in July.

I can't guarantee that you'd find a shadow opportunity, but perhaps presenting yourself at the physical meetup, might help you get an audience with people that would reconsider.

Showing a genuine interest in the trade can be good prior to your request. In other words, if you are already keen on making games and have a prototype or pet project to show. It will show that you're very serious about game dev. and that might pull some attention.

Bring said prototype to the meetup and feel free to present it for play testing as well.
    Don't be shy to show what you've got. It's a very relaxed event for showcasing all skill levels. experienced, entrylevel, hobbysit or proffessional.

I'm guessing here, but if your entire grade is required to do some shadowing... there may be quite a lot of shadow requests popping up.
    My recommendation is that you present the shadowing as a unified structured group.. three or four pupils as one shadow.
    That way, if somebody is willing to offer you the chance then multiple students can benefit at the same time.
    It's just an idea.

I wish I could help more. I'd love to offer a chance to let students shadow but I'm just not quite there yet.
    good luck.
    Thanked by 1Pixel_Reaper
  • Luma Animation can and does accept job shadows. The work happening here is mostly film post production/ad prerender stuff, but game asset development and programming also happens for the virtual sports betting products.

Check www.luma.co.za for contact details