Black Shell Media

edited in General
Hi!

So it seems as though a couple of MGSA members have been targeted by Black Shell Media company with messages like:
Let me introduce myself briefly. I’m Daniel, CEO of Black Shell Media LLC. We’re a small startup based in New Jersey that specializes in viral audience growth for indie studios. We’ve developed and published games like SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition, noticed by some of the biggest gaming sites out there (Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Destructoid, PCGamer, and more).
If it's a good game, all you need to do is email these press places and (provided you don't write the worst email ever) they'll probably pick it up. This isn't magical and doesn't need a media company to do.
One of our games, Overture, got through Steam Greenlight within less than 10 days, and netted more than 6,700 downloads in its first few weeks on Steam alone. Many of our clients and revenue share partners have gotten Greenlit in less than two weeks! Over the years, we have meticulously crafted efficient and effective techniques for getting indie games the recognition they deserve, and I'd love to get a chance to help make A Day In The Woods reach top ten lists all across the internet.

What I do at Black Shell Media is work with developers like you who have a fantastic game but could benefit from an extra surge of audience growth to get it out to the public effectively. I’ve worked on all kinds of games across a variety of genres. A Day In The Woods was brought to my attention recently, and I think that if we were to work together, it could become the next big thing.
Lots of appeals to the idea of being the "next big thing" and the next hit. Unless he's got PewDiePie on speed dial, I don't see a media company having this kind of ability on an indie type budget.
Some developers say that getting a game noticed is all about getting lucky. I say let’s make our own luck through hard work and passion. Black Shell Media has the resources and experience needed to make your game’s fan base grow exponentially. We’ve provided massive audience growth and full-service marketing for titles similar to your game, and we know the indie gaming industry inside and out with over 8 years of marketing experience. Here’s a link to a slightly more detailed (but still a short read!) overview of our services.
8 years? I guess if I'm liberal, I could say I have 9 years of marketing experience. It's kind of meaningless. And that's just me alone. If I made a company with Danny, for eg, we could arguably have more than 20 years experience.
I would love to partner with you. I want to offer you the opportunity to sit down for a free consultation and hear what we can offer you. I want you to give me a chance to get A Day In The Woods the success it deserves. We have business development contacts on the world's largest digital distribution platforms including Steam, GOG, and Humble Bundle, and we can get your game in front of hundreds of thousands of gamers in a heartbeat.
You can literally just submit games to Humble, GoG and Steam. No middle man required. So, here's someone who wants to take your money for no apparent reason. Because being on Steam will get your game in front of hundreds of thousands of gamers. That also does not guarantee sales.
If you decide to take the chance and watch players fall in love with A Day In The Woods, please shoot us an email back and we’ll set up a time to talk. I hope you take us up on the free consultation, because we're very excited to work with you.
So, I've been eye balling their stuff for quite a few months before they got in touch with us. They've posted a lot on Gamasutra but the content isn't original - basically all the stuff you should already know about marketing your game - and it's just there to make themselves look expert-y.

I've also checked out the LinkedIn profiles of the two main team members and their experience or expertise in marketing practices is nothing to write home about as far as I can tell.

Anyway, this is basically just a heads up that these guys are apparently trying to target the SA devs. They do seem like a legitimate company, but I personally don't see them as being able to provide any benefit worth paying their prices for.

Comments

• They are not at all interested in your games, just your money. As an example, the game their mail program plonked into the email we got was "Pixie the Psychedelicolour Dream Cat", a throwaway game we made as part of an Indiegogo to raise money to fund our cat's eye operation. The game has no value as a sold product and is in fact completely free to download.
    Thanked by 2dammit Asbestos
  • Any email offering you a "free consultation" or a "starting discount" is basically saying "I want to force you to listen to my sales pitch for a service you don't need".

If you needed what they're offering, their existing clients would be recommending them.

If someone isn't making a concrete offer with a detailed explanation of how it makes both of you money that you wouldn't be able to make otherwise, bin it. You're not missing anything by cutting down on spam, you'll only ever get more of it.
    Thanked by 2dammit Bernard
  • Thanks for sharing that.
  • edited
    Yeah, got em too. They were referring to Rooks Keep this time. We've had a number of similar emails over the last couple of years.

Also, @dammit, what you posted is verbatim to what we got, just with "Rooks Keep" instead of "A Day in the Woods" :)
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Yeah, got the same email verbatim our side too
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • :) I had no doubt that it was not original which is also why I wanted to share it verbatim.
  • Something which helped me when we started getting these emails: If you have trouble dismissing such enquiries because you think they've put a lot of time into searching for the right product and they really see something special in your game, then perhaps consider how their email would read if you replaced all references to your company, person or game with something else. If it still reads fine, then you know with almost certainty that they have not really taken the time to check out your game. I'm not saying your game isn't special, but the reality is that they are probably trying to play on your emotions to get you involved.

That being said, spending money on something that adds value can easily be worth it because your time is a very limited resource, but it should always be an objectively better option and easy to make that decision. Once you start analysing these things, it's surprising how easy it is to objectively compare various options. Like @dislekcia said, "If someone isn't making a concrete offer with a detailed explanation of how it makes both of you money that you wouldn't be able to make otherwise, bin it." Once money starts coming into the picture (and your time is also money), parties need to be able to "prove" their value, usually through a history of good past performance.

One last little thing from me: if anyone contacts you with a deal that is "secret" and they don't want to tell you all the details or you can't tell others or something similar, run away from them as fast as you can! Good business is about making objective decisions with a high degree of transparency. The only time it makes sense to not share pretty much all the details or try stop someone from asking for independent advice is when you are actively trying to deceive.
    Thanked by 2dammit garethf
  • Thanks for the official warning.
  • edited
    After replying to them and yelling at them AND getting a sheepish reply... an automated follow-up mail arrives.

EDIT: Er, wups, that's a bit big.
    Screenshot_2015-08-15-11-46-15.png
    1080 x 1920 - 264K
  • We got the same email, also didnt trust it, good to see others reporting on them and that we can confirm the situation.
  • Got the same email, and a follow up asking for feedback on why I didn't respond and how they can do better.

Almost felt guilty for a moment there for ignoring them. Thanks for posting that, seeing the stock email squishes any guilt. And to @dammit for starting the thread in the first place, I would likely have wasted my time otherwise.
  • Reanimating this old chestnut because:

I came across a little thread on reddit that claims paid ads are crap for indies:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/3jwad0/the_200_experiment_or_why_paid_ads_suck_for_indies/

Which seemed pretty reasonable. Then I read the comments, and those basically slated the OP for doing a crap job of their advertising, that's why the paid advertising had little to no effect. Seemed fair too.

So I clicked through to the blog post that originated this reddit discussion:
    http://blackshellmedia.com/the-200-experiment-or-why-paid-ads-suck-for-indies/

And hey, it's Black Shell!

So I got curious and browsed around their site, found a clients page:
    http://blackshellmedia.com/clients/

And it's a FUCKING LONG LIST. Don't know if it's legit. Then there's a long list of testimonials too. First impression was that I haven't heard of any of these games. Second impression is each game has a "greenlit in x days" thing, seemed pretty impressive, but that could easily be on the games' own strength (in fact it really should be, especially considering greenlighting is not a huge deal now).

So... What to make of Black Shell, really?
  • @Tuism - I had the same reaction with regards to their clients page. It's a long list of games I've never heard of which is why I don't trust that they're useful.

Also, it's not useful to compare: "Our Twitter network of 140,000+ combined followers nets 8 million monthly impressions (over 260,000 per day.) And I don’t pay a cent for it!" Getting impressions doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'm sure, in fact, that the Freelives team would say they get about the same (or possibly more?) impressions per month - the difference is that those impressions are from fans. People who like the game/brand already. Those are likely to lead to retweets, sharing, comments, interactions and therefore sales. Impressions just garnered through spamming hashtags and following a bazillion accounts that follow back is not good value.

I would also say those ads weren't the best - so not likely to convert. Our own experience with Adwords is that there isn't a great conversion rate either, but I have heard other devs finding different paid advertising avenues useful. I think it depends a lot on many different factors. Is your audience likely to be using adblock? Then it's not going to work :/

For me the biggest red flag is on the description of the founders - nothing about their descriptions tell me they're qualified to do what they're claiming they're the best at. "Social media consultant" ? I guess I could put that on my profile too. I've got "gamification expert" somewhere on my linkedin. "Internet marketing professional" ? I guess I could add that too. It just seems to be meaningless to me - I can't really find evidence of their expertise.

"We’ve shipped over half a million copies of our games" How many of those games were free to play?

And on the topic of greenlight - there's been at least a few devs I recall writing about how surprised they were at how quickly their game got greenlit AS WELL AS people writing about how press make no difference to the progress of greenlighting (because of the linking issue - it creates a barrier to entry so few people make it from an article link to actually voting).

My thoughts on the topic. I wouldn't mind actually finding out what the experience is of someone who has used their services (beyond the testimonials they've got on the site).

• Not sure if this link will work, but this is basically what I see them doing in promoting games: https://www.facebook.com/groups/227592780726252/?multi_permalinks=556139121204948&notif_t=group_highlights
  • I see it, and it can't be the only thing they do. Though, I do wonder how many groups and things of this... "magnitude", or "size" there are around (probably many tiny ones) and if BS actually runs between all of them.
  • edited
    Those sorts of groups are all over the place. The only value your game has to them is as a set of keys to keep people refreshing the page. If you have an extremely viral game that turns each redeemed key into >2 sales from a player's friends, cool, put keys everywhere. If you don't have that going for your game, then don't assume there's any additional value to these sorts of services.

Also, never pay for anything like this.
  • Well yeah, I wouldn't pay for a service that only puts keys of your game out into the public. Would be interesting to see how the rest of the "operation" works though, can't be *just* this?
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/3mj37r/my_experience_with_a_publisher_share_yours/

I found that on reddit just now. The guy talks about being "published" by black shell.
    Thanked by 2dammit Tuism
  • Okay, so my opinion of Black Shell Media is now "Do not touch with a 100m pole" after reading that.

Firstly, the attitude of the developer there is absolutely shocking: If you're not sure that $100 is a good "investment" to get your game on Greenlight, well, just stop trying to sell it already because you clearly don't have enough information about if anyone wants to buy it. There are so many better ways to get $100 that DON'T mean you're selling your game off as a free app that I'm honestly angry with this dev. Yes, I understand that mustering that $100 was difficult for the dev, no that doesn't mean that the compromise is a good idea.

Secondly, Black Shell Media didn't seem to actually DO anything worthwhile - we all know Greenlight is just a waiting game these days. If you post about your game or it's in any way interesting, you just wait a little less... But BSM then takes your game and goes into full-on "release" spamming mode, giving it away for free for "competitions" on sites that literally only care about codes as ephemeral stores of value and not as actual games. BSM is growing their own brand at the expense of every developer that signs up with them, hoping that one of these games earns enough money at some point that BSM comes out ahead - except they're not even spending any money to market anything anyway, they've already paid their Greenlight fee (so it's not like they "gave" that dev $100 at all) and promising codes is free too, their only cost is time.

BSM is a bad deal that relies on taking advantage of developers that don't believe in themselves, their games or their reach. Stay away.
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • Anyone getting personalised emails from these guys now?
  • Maybe I'm a special fairy :P Might take him up on having a Skype call. Anything anyone would like to ask the guy, get clarity on for instance? I'm not shy to ask things.
  • I added him to my Spam filter ... got the same email Verbatim with Kaboom Arena in it ... *shrug*
  • Yes! *Air punches* I see I joined the Black Sheep Media club too with a personal email for Dungeon Run on 18 July 2015. Also 2 follow-up mails. (25/7 & 01/8)... please ask him to send us T-shirts please ;P
  • Original post seems to have been deleted :(

• @dammit: not that one specifically, but I've recently heard them in 1 or 2 podcasts as "guests" where they spend quite a lot of time talking about their in-house games. I was very sceptical going in, but so far they seemed to be okay. They might be mellowing a bit after getting so much backlash
  • @francoisvn - I didn't get through most of this one because it feels like a puff piece. I do wonder why the hosts aren't asking them the questions about the reddit posts and backlashes...
  • I tried now and got a 3rd through. The previous podcast they were on was more centred on game design, and the host was a lot more in control, so although the puff was obvious, he generally cut through it and took the conversation in a more useful direction that made it too difficult for them to puff. He did give them an opportunity near the end to plug stuff (as is customary) and they certainly jumped on that :)

It is weird that the game dev radio hosts didn't ask those more poignant questions, especially considering I listen to the "Game Design Daily" podcast they do and I'm pretty sure they mentioned the issues there. I don't know, maybe they have some long term memory issues or only bring the issues up much later...
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • quintond said:
    /me trawls through his Twit Filter (filter that puts these mails in Spam) ... yep still got a couple of new ones in there ... although they seem to be a little older ... so maybe they are mellowing. 8-}
    O_o apparently starting a post with '/me' breaks the forums a bit.

• edited
    Oh crap ... let me see if I can fix.

Edit: Okay ... removed the post .. do I get like a special badge for breaking the forums? 8-}
    Thanked by 1Denzil