F: Planetary Reconstruction

The Story: An astronaut is travelling far away from earth when his spaceship loses control and he crashes into an unknown planet. He manages to salvage some basic resources and equipment including the Terraformer he transported with him. The goal of the game is to make he planet liveable by using the Terraformer to create water and making the planet fertile to plant seeds and grow plants/trees.

The astronaut will also be able to breed chickens with the eggs he salvaged once he creates a egg incubator in order for him to create live on the planet.

Planned Features:
*Multiplayer
*Travelling between planets
*Forcefields (mainly to protect against meteors)
*Clouds produced from terraformer to produce rain and later on pools of water
*Alien invasions

Implemented Features:
*Crafting recipes (Only 2 recipes atm)
*Building (Minecraft style)
*Breeding chickens
*Chickens lay eggs
*Harvesting trees and meteorite
*Smelting in a furnace
*Terraformer making planet green with green crystals
*Terraformer produces oxygen with white crystals

Controls:
WASD - Movement keys
E - Pickup items and Open Chests/Incubator/Terraformer/Furnace
SPACE - Jump
I - Inventory

What to do:
* Harvest meteorite (Fallen meteors)
* Put the rock into the furnace (Make sure you have an energy (orange) crystal in as well)
* Harvest trees
* Put green/white crystals in the terraformer and stand close to it if you need oxygen
* Put energy crystals and eggs into the egg incubator to breed chickens
* Collect eggs dropped by chickens
* Craft wood blocks and metal platforms
* Build whatever you desire with the wood blocks and metal platforms
* Dont forget to drink water :D

Game Downloads:
Web
Standalone

We did not have enough time to get the game to where we wanted it to be for the competition and a lot of features and bugs have not been fixed and implemented yet but we hope that the current state of the game will still be able to provide some enjoyment and make you give us feedback on what you would like to see changed/implemented in the game in the future.

Screenshots:

This game is made by me (Johan Heymans) and Jannie Prinsloo. We have recently started to do game development under the name "Obsessive Notion" and we are really pushing to become successful in the game development industry!

Thanks for taking the time to read/play/review our game!
Thanked by 2Bernard Pierre

Comments

• edited
    It was a rough 2 weeks to get the game as far as we did but it was lots of fun and dedication :D
  • Very nice idea, I love transforming! I like the idea that you are in charge of making the planet habitable until you can get off of it and its a nice sense of ownership and immersion at the same time. I am impressed with the effects and whole planetary thing! I personally would love to see a colonial terraform game however that's just me and just because of firefly so don't mind that. With the direction you are heading I think it will be great when you get a way off the planet and you finally see your handy work from space ;), don't let people see it before then (my opinion anyway).
    Over all, well done!
    Thanked by 2Sonicay Zaphire
  • All I'm going to say is WOW!!! This looks amazing. Well done guys. How many people were working on this?
    Thanked by 1Sonicay
  • FanieG said:
    How many people were working on this?
    Zaphire said:
    This game is made by me (Johan Heymans) and Jannie Prinsloo. We have recently started to do game development under the name "Obsessive Notion" and we are really pushing to become successful in the game development industry!
    :)

Very impressive! Haven't had the chance to played it yet (will do when I have more time and am back home) but it looks really good, super impressed :) I Like the concept and the diversity of mechanics involved, would be great if they all play and balance well in play :) Good luck!!
    Thanked by 2Sonicay Zaphire
  • @Tuism - in Homer Simpson voice - DOH!!! I was too busy staring at all the eggs those chickens laid, as well as "all them other pretty screenshots" to read those last few sentences.
  • Hi Guys,

So i have created these arms with blender and what i did to get texture, i cheated and took a picture of my hand and arm and started copying it over to the mesh. I want to know if someone knows of a good free place to get tutorials explaining how to create a texture from scratch with Free programs like Gimp 2, even if it is 100 steps for me to finish. What im looking for is to create a kind of realistic texture that our 3rd person view person would have and what other multiplayer people would be seeing. 1st person will stay with the real lifelike textures. But that is probably also going to change for the start of the game, because the character itself will be wearing a suit covering up all these nice textures.

Any help would be appreciated. Im still learning new stuff daily looking at how people make there stuff and so forth.
  • These are the images of the arms
    IMG_17082015_131823.png
    1920 x 1040 - 445K
    IMG_17082015_133058.png
    1920 x 1040 - 610K