F: Why did the Doomsday Prepper cross the road?

Compo Entry
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187819585/Preppers Ver 6/Preppers Ver 6.html

Post-Compo latest playable:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187819585/Preppers ver 10/Preppers ver 10.html

Controls:
Move = WASD
Shoot = Arrow Keys

Why did the Doomsday Prepper cross the road...To BUILD his bug-out location on the other side. So the premise is simple. You are one of those "crazies" that have been preparing for Armageddon for years. It is now 2158, and the s&^t has finally hit the fan (validating your lifestyle choices). There is chaos on the streets as people are fleeing the cities. You have been stockpiling your building supplies on one side of the road, and now have to get the boxes to your "Home Base Building Portal" on the other side. You have to move your water, food, materials etc. Each category of stock has 3 boxes (levels). The higher the level the better you are prepared for the "end of the world".

What I still wanted to add:

* General Juice.
* Additional enemy units

DoomsdayPrepper.png
960 x 532 - 581K

Comments

• hah this cool, my first thought was that it looks like frogger meets mad-max
  • @shanemarks - Thanks man, that's the kind of feel I'm going for. Really hope one of the "musos" get time (and inspiration) to create me a nice mad max theme song for some background music. Will post a playable by the weekend (if Eskom stops load shedding during my free time).
  • Eskom.... Lucky for me I get hit 6-8pm so by the time I have the kids in bed its nearly back on :)
  • Frogger is a classic, it should be an Interesting mix of gameplay. Can't wait to play it.
  • AGHHHHH!!! Did a whole lot of work on this. Installed Unity 5 and it broke almost all of my animations. Looks like all my transitions between animations went missing, and did some real funny stuff with anything that had a Rigidbody2D component. Hope I can fix this before the compo deadline on Sunday. This SUCKS!!!!!
  • edited
    Gave it a play. quite fun! It took me a few seconds to figure out WASD moved the character, maybe also set the up/down/left/right keys to move the characters too? Sorry to hear about your upgrade woes :( Always tricky to upgrade versions in the middle of a project. Have you tried making a backup, deleting the library folder and reopening in an older version (this would only work if you had setup visible meta files I think) ?
  • FanieG said:
    AGHHHHH!!! Did a whole lot of work on this. Installed Unity 5 and it broke almost all of my animations. Looks like all my transitions between animations went missing, and did some real funny stuff with anything that had a Rigidbody2D component. Hope I can fix this before the compo deadline on Sunday. This SUCKS!!!!!
    Did you make a backup of the project before Unity 5 messed it up?
    If so, I would re-install your previous version of Unity to a different location than Unity 5 and continue using that for this project.

• edited
    Okay, so got it all to work again in Unity 5. Big problem was my main character that lost all of it's transitions in the animator. Had to hook those all up again and then play around with the blending, which is quite different from Unity 4. It added exit times for all of the animations, which made the animations transition too slow? Even though they were set up to change with bools? Could have just re-installed Unity 4, but figured this would be a good lesson on what has changed, by fixing new bugs. This seemed to have been worth while.

@shanemarks - Thanks for trying it out. I have changed the controls in a newer version. WASD is still for movement but the arrow keys are now to shoot (so that it is more like a twin-stick-shooter). I have also added a main and end screen, which helps to make the building of your bug-out location more meaningful, as it gives a summary of sorts of your round when you die. I want to improve it a bit though before posting the new build. Also changed the main characters art, to some I did myself (I suck at art, but at least it is my own work now - see below). Convinced a local musician here in Nelspruit to do a theme song for me, which I will hopefully get tomorrow. Luckily I am off this weekend (retail Ughhhh) so will hopefully have enough time to spice it up a bit before the comp deadline.

• edited
    Here is new build, with new controls (twin-stick-shooter layout), new art and awesome new songs, thanks to @The_Sired_Ward. He will post his music compo entry on a separate thread. New Build also in OP. New controls: WASD for movement and arrow keys for shooting. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187819585/Preppers Ver 3/Preppers Ver 3.html

Thanked by 1Boysano
  • edited
    Okay so here is the final entry before the compo deadline tonight (also in OP):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187819585/Preppers Ver 6/Preppers Ver 6.html

Added SFX and some other feedback juice (Die animations etc).

I had a great time with this compo, and learned a whole lot. Hit a bit of a bump earlier the week when I switched to Unity 5, but managed to get most of the bugs sorted out. The new Audio features were quite hard to figure out. Didn't get to everything I wanted to, so might continue to work on this post-compo. Guess it will depend on whether or not people find it fun to play. Had my nieces and nephews try it out this morning and they had a blast, so I think there is some "fun" to be had here. All the art was done in MS Paint, and is very much "programmer art", but I don't feel it is too bad. In fact the second level of the "Wool" is probably my best sprite sheet ever. The awesome Music was done by @The_Sired_Ward. Big up man!!! Please take time, to listen to his work and comment if you have not done so already. The SFX was done with BFXR.

Well done on all the folks that did something for the competition, hope you had as much fun as me discovering that BUILDING BEATS BREAKING!!!
  • This is a post-compo web build (compo build in OP):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187819585/Preppers Ver 7/Preppers Ver 7.html

After Tuesday's meetup, I tried to implement some changes based on the feedback I got. Thanks a mil to everyone that tried my game out and gave feedback. It was awesome to meet you guys!!! I haven't gotten around to all the suggestions made, such as making the base building more meaningful, but implemented changes includes:

* Fixed the bug that didn't stop the game after you died.
    * Mouse is now no longer needed to navigate menus. Everything is done on the keyboard.
    * Made it more obvious that you have collected a box, by giving the character a backpack when you are carrying something and adding a better animation when you collect a box .
    * Added tutorial prompts, to explain the controls and goal of game (this should really have been added earlier).
    * Nerfed the dog's speed a bit, and enemies now only spawn after some criteria has been met (certain amount of boxes), to give the player chance to get familiar with the controls and how the character moves.

After some discussion with @SUGBOERIE and someone else (sorry never caught your name), I want to implement a feature where the collected boxes gives the player some sort of power-up or let the built unit act as a sort of tower defence unit to help the player. Still thinking about how to implement this best.

Any feedback will by most appreciated, as I probably wont make it to another meetup soon.

• edited
    Download Why did the doomsday prepper cross the road? - Indie DB

So I put this up on IndieDB too. Added some more AI units since the last build and fixed some more bugs. This is the first time I have posted a project outside of this forum, so I am quite nervous on how it will be perceived.
  • edited
    Latest post compo build:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187819585/Preppers ver 10/Preppers ver 10.html

So I've added a lot of content to this build:
    * Camera has been overhauled to allow for a bigger better play area.
    * Tutorial prompts have been improved.
    * Death Harriers have been added.
    * Mine Droids have been added.
    * Sand worms have been added.
    * Each collectable now has it's own animation, to make it cleared what can/has been collected.

Feedback will be MUCH appreciated.

Screenshot of new enemies:

IndieDB Standalone Download too:

indiedb.com/games/why-did-the-doomsday-prepper-cross-the-road/downloads/why-did-the-doomsday-prepper-cross-the-road-ver-2