[Event] Johannesburg Community Evening - 14th October 2014

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 14th October

Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg

Content
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)
- 10 easy steps to crash and burn: a guide to making your indie game's development a massive failure - 20 mins ~@jsgbailey

- Your presentation/talk/game here

- 5 minute break.

- Focused Feedback (10 mins x 3 slots) [Games that will be shown on the big screen]
- Electric Llama Labs Games - @bradmarxmoosepi
- AfterRobot! - @Cheatsi

- Open Demo Floor (Show your games in an informal manner with set up PC's/laptops).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Beers/Drinks/Pizza afterwards at Col'Cacchio's down the road! Other nearby suggestions are welcome!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the FB event!

Board game prototypes can, will, and have been tested at the post-meetup beers and pizza, so bring along your prototypes!

If you get lost or don't know where in the Microsoft campus we are, call me on 083 397 8725

Comments

• Something new is happening with Microsoft this month:

"This month we are also looking to have something slightly different. We have asked the GM of Microsoft South Africa to attend the event. We are trying setup a slot for him to talk about community and answer some of your questions. This will most likely take place at 6pm in Auditorium 2."

I'd also like to tentatively put myself down for a talk on "Simple, but deep: how granularity in games is great" - anyone keen on that? :)
  • Damn, missing this one by a narrow margin after I fly back from rAge on Monday, and similarly with A MAZE last time. I must learn to plan better in the future.

The MS GM talk sounds intriguing, I'd be interested to hear what he speak about.
  • Hi Ben,

I would like to show 2 games that I've been working on. Would that be OK?

Not sure if that would count as "Focused Feedback" or just a normal presentation?

Thanks so much!

• @Bensonance I see you cancelled the Facebook event. Does that mean anything?
  • There's a new one up, if you go and look for it on the mgsa page, I think it was just a mistake.
  • Sounds interesting @Bensonance. I'd like to do a talk on 10 easy steps to crash and burn. It's a guide to making your indie game's development a massive failure. I have some experience here :)
  • @bradmarxmoosepi Hey Brad - glad to have you attending the meetups :D.

Depends what you want from the presentation? Do you want feedback on the games? :) If you do want feedback I would put you down for 1 slot (10 minutes) - I usually only allow people to take one slot, as other people usually want to show their games. But if no one wants to show their stuff, then we can put you down for two slots nearer to the time.

@SUGBOERIE Lol yeah I made the entire event hosted by myself instead of by MGSA *facepalm* - so I had to cancel that one :).

@jsgbailey Cool! How much time you want for that? :)
  • edited
    @Bensonance: Thanks. I would like to get feedback on the games, yes. I think a single 10 min slot will be fine. :) Thanks again.
  • @Bensonance 20 mins if that's cool.
  • Hi, what's the interest on starting up a Pretoria monthly meeting?
  • Hi Everyone,

Microsoft General Manager Zoaid Hoosen will be giving a short session between 18:00 and 18:20 to talk a bit about Microsoft and why community is important them; and also take your questions.
    We will be recording the session for those who cant make it and I will make sure they address the questions being asked.
  • edited
    I'm gonna have to pull out of doing the talk unfortunately - varsity and post-rAge press stuff are the bane of my existance D: .

But I have redeemed myself by getting @Asbestos to show Clutchfighter as the last focused feedback slot! :D
  • I would like to do a talk on getting the most from an expo if people are keen on that.