Blazin' Aces

edited in Projects
Hey guys,

So as it goes, 1 year ago today I released Blazin' Aces. So I thought it would be fitting to announce the new Blazin' Aces I am working on. It will be an updated version which will also be ported to smartphones.

Announcing the new and improved:

New mechanics will be introduced, such as overheating machineguns, missles (limited to 2 per spawn), limited bombs, as well as evasive manoeuvres to make the game tighter and a bit more intense. The game will also feature new game modes, such as team battles (up to 4vs4), uneven team battles (1vs2) as well as a survival mode.

Gameplay Video:

Controls:

Left/right arrows : turn the plane
Z : Flips plane
A: Shoot / Jump
C: Shoot missle
X: Eject

O: Spawn friendly plane
P: Spawn enemy plane

R: Restarts the game

You can check out the original version of the game here: Blazin' Aces

Let me know what you guys think :)
Thanked by 1Nandrew

Comments

• Well, I dunno much about art and stuff, but definitely I like the sheer number of scrolling layers in the background!

Is this gonna be a cosmetic do-over only, or are there new mechanical involvements too?
  • Yeah the extra layers in the background do help with making it a bit more fluid.

There will be new mechanics involved as well. I am hoping to make it multiple planes that you can flight against, as well as adding a missle system (will update the first post now).

The AI isn't working properly as of yet, but once I get most of those in I will definitely show off a demo.
  • Ok small update,

I have updated the pilots falling animation, as well as got a bit of a momentum thing going. The parachute shifts in line with the direction the player is moving in the air... Looking pretty smooth, still got a bit to do though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9633551/TestBlazinAces/index.html

What do you guys think?
  • edited
    Looks and feels good! Movement is nice and weighty while still being very manueverable. You should pick up slightly more momentum while diving though and it is kind of odd that the plane continually turns downwards. maybe it shouldn't do that past horizontal? or it shouldn't turn downwards if it has enough forward momentum? right now you have to continually correct to fly in a straight.

The player also loses horizontal momentum while jumping. I like the eject mechanic, it will be cool in big dogfights with parachuting people everywhere.

Are you planning to have wrapping occur smoothly? I think it will really be worth the effort. I'm looking forward to having some enemy planes to shoot :D
  • Thanks raithza, did you play the original? It's a bit more arcade-y than this version.

Hmmm yeah, I need to set it so that when it reaches certain speed it should keep its direction, especially if it's flying horizontally.

Yes, at the moment, I am using Game Maker's built in wrapping option. It isn't perfect as it has a "bleed" value where it only wraps once it gets to a certain point.

Hehe thanks, I have the AI in the build however it keeps crashing with the pilot ejecting. haven't build that in as of yet.

Will update when I get that working, then you can test it out against the AI :)
  • Ok so I have an update.

You can now spawn planes to fight against, and they will also eject and run back to the barn. The parachute controlling system has also been crafted a bit better to give a more realistic feel.
    Same controls as above, with one few additions:

P - Spawn enemy plane

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9633551/TestBlazinAces/index.html
  • Wow! I love the background. One question, what application do you use to draw them in? I've bought myself a Wacom Bamboo pen tablet and tried to draw some stuff on paint.net but lets just say that drawing is not my strong point. Art is hard! Are there any shortcuts?
  • Hehe thanks. Well I actually have an external graphics department doing the stuff for me. What what I can tell from their WIP is that they place the photos of the scenery in as a placeholder, and paint over it to mimic it. So technically they haven't done it from scratch, rather painting over the reference images.

Agreed, art is bloody hard, but when you get it right its so rewarding. I did all the artwork for the "original" version of the game, and man did I struggle to get it the way I wanted.
  • Can't believe I haven't thought of that, thanks. Going to try it out tonight. I'm not really the artistic type but I must say, sometimes I enjoy creating graphics more than the actual coding.
  • Ok so I have updated it again. This time to show off some smoke effects when the plane's gets damaged.

Try it out, let me know what you guys think :).

Top post has the updated link.
    (Press P to spawn an enemy plane)
  • The smoke looks cool!

Does plane flipping do anything? It doesn't seem to change the controls.
  • The smoke does look cool. But I had my frame rate drop really bad when I had about 3 planes on fire.
  • @aodendaal:

Right now it's currently not doing anything, but ideally its there to avoid bullet projectiles, so that it at least gives you a chance to escape an enemy on your tail.
    It's also there for when you eject, so that you can eject in an upward direction as opposed to downwards towards the ground.

@Rigormortis:

Yeah it needs some optimizing. At the moment, the smoke particles are rendered as individual objects so it's hogging up the memory. Need to find a mobile friendly version of particles to render for smartphones (not sure if GameMaker does this)
  • duncanbellsa said:
    Yeah it needs some optimizing. At the moment, the smoke particles are rendered as individual objects so it's hogging up the memory. Need to find a mobile friendly version of particles to render for smartphones (not sure if GameMaker does this)
    Are you using GM's effects for smoke? I've found that to be pretty slow when there are large numbers of them onscreen in GM7 and 8. Writing my own particle objects turned out to be more efficient, although using the built-in particle system seemed even better for really high numbers of particles.
  • Are you using GM's effects for smoke?
    No, at the moment I have the engine spawning "objSmoke" objects, that rise and rotate and then get destroyed as the alpha reaches 0. So its very inefficient as it's spawning +- 100 objects that do nothing but rise and fade out.

I'm looking into a smartphone friendly particle system for GM. Any suggestions?
  • Yep, why don't you give GM's built in particle system a try instead of looking for another system? Did a bit of searching and found a few tutorials. Here's one on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101821554
  • GM's built in particle system a try
    I thought GM's built in particle system was not smartphone friendly? Maybe I was misled...
  • edited
    Ok I have updated it to now use particles, still need to iron out the kinks, as well as get the emitter to stop working after plane explodes.

http://www.reddotlab.com/BA_Smoke_test_part

EDIT: D'oh! Just realised the html export doesn't support colour blending in particles, hence why the fire is blue.
  • What's the view distance of the enemy planes? I seems like they're always correctly oriented by the time I find them again. They should have a max distance to orientate themselves with the player otherwise they level out and go into a search pattern or something
  • At the moment, the pathfinding has just been implemented so I still need to "dumb-down" the ai so that they can be more human like. I think I also need to adjust the camera too, as it gets rather difficult to keep track of an enemy in which you want to hunt down...
  • edited
    Hey guys,

Have finally made an update (yay!). I've managed to get some wingman AI in, as well as including missles.
    The result seems to be a fun, rather chaotic shooter, check it out and let me know what you think:

http://www.reddotlab.com/Blazin_Aces/PublicBeta/

And, as a bonus, I have a version of it working on Android (still working on the icons, you just have to experiment to see what everything does :D ):
    http://www.reddotlab.com/Blazin_Aces/PublicBeta/Android/BlazinAcesHD_PublicBeta.apk
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    Any feedback...?

Anyone :)?

EDIT: I just realised the holder that describes the controls I created isn't in my HTML. So weird...Will fix this evening.

In the meantime, the controls are as follows:

Controls:

Left/right arrows : turn the plane
    Z : Flips plane
    A: Shoot / Jump
    C: Shoot missle
    X: Eject

O: Spawn friendly plane
    P: Spawn enemy plane

R: Restarts the game
  • edited
    Gave it a quick play, really like how GM's web support is growing, wow! Anyway, feedback follows:

Why is something as game-ending as eject right next to the other controls, when shoot is on a whole different line? Swap shoot and eject! Also, I had no idea what I should have been doing after I ejected. The ejection animation of the dude panicking and the parachute popping was pretty cool as a feel moment, but after that it was a bit annoying. Running around on the floor didn't let me do anything specific and I didn't know where to go to actually achieve anything (maybe an arrow to the nearest plane?). Also, there's a slight hitch in the sideways movement of the screen when you land from a jump.

Not super sure about the missiles and the flipping, Sopwith's bombs made flipping a strategic decision and most of the game's piloting skill came in with aiming bomb trajectories. Right now I'd wonder why flipping is in Blazing Aces, as it doesn't seem to have much impact on the game... If you added back bombs and bombing trajectories, flipping could be a serious decision - especially if flipping meant you were locked into a specific path and couldn't "turn" while it was going on. Tradeoffs are good :) Right now I'd expect planes to auto-flip according to their orientation (which is a shame, because that's a detailed animation you've got going there)

The plane movement seems a little too fast and not really very variable: You don't stay on one section of the screen for any appreciable period of time, so there isn't scope for much dogfight maneuvering. I feel like if you slowed the planes way down and added some speed controls to the game in general (so you could fly slow, really slow and OMG backwards slow) that would help in creating more interesting screen movement patterns for players to predict how a plane was going to behave. Right now it feels like there isn't really any aerodynamic risk to moving the plane around - you don't have to worry about staying in the air or doing cool moves. I'm not saying "Be like Luftrauser", but OMG, Luftrauser... Such neat play feel!

Some things about terrain and random graphics: The flatness of the terrain feels a little boring. I can't fly into or over or around things, so everything rests on the enemy plane AI (and what planes themselves are capable of doing, right now they're all too capable of staying aloft), Sopwith's bombing score and the terrain that made that difficult were the real gameplay in that game. The clouds feel too low - they're in the distance, obscuring the second row of background mountains, but when I fly up I leave them behind and there's nothing there but the blue gradient, that seems strange. The parallax scrolling is neat, but it made me notice the edging around all your sprites. Is that intentional or are we looking at GM transparency artifacts there? (If so, that's not too hard to fix)

I so wanted planes to have trails. Also, bullet trails and hit effects so I know when I've clipped a plane ;)
    Thanked by 1duncanbellsa
  • Also what I've found is the plane AI, once they hit the top of the screen, they 'stall' and try to recover upwards. resulting in them hitting the top again and repeating the process (They never turn downwards which makes them easy flyby targets)
  • Ah hah! Finally some brutal honesty :D.

Alright so initially, the original version was plain and simple 1vs1 dogfighting. I'm trying to upscale overall, having perhaps larger battles. I know that the beta doesn't convey everything I want, but its a start :).

So to get back to your feedback @disleksia:

-The keys will be swapped for a gamepad. Last year at amaze Matthias mapped a gamepad to the keys, and it changed the game completely. Will definitely look into getting that sorted!

-Will look into the weird hitch when jumping. Also, the point of ejecting is so that you don't get killed. It gives you an opportunity to spawn (by running back to the barn) with a new plane without losing a life.

-As for the missles, it's still a WIP. I was actually thinking more along the lines of having a shotgun style weapon, that when you line up your enemy at close range you can one hit kill them.

-The flipping is actually used to avoid getting hit with a bullet. So if someone lines you up from behind, you at least have a chance to avoid some bullets.

-As for the speed and view of the game, I have had some feedback from people saying it's difficult to see whats going on. I think I'm going to have to zoom out the view a bit, and perhaps add some sort of indicator as to where the nearest enemy is. I'm also trying to set a "slow down" button, which will reduce the players speed for a bit to help out-manoeuvre the enemy.

-And last but not least, the graphics. I was really trying to see how much I could push game maker's backgrounds system. There's still plenty of tweaking and stuff to be done :). The artifacts only seem to happen in the HTML5 version, but I will go back and clean them up for the next HTML test.

I like the idea of trails, could be quite nice when you have like 8 planes on screen making these cool trails. Hit indicators are a good idea too. Will look into it :D.
  • @SquigyXD:

Yes I noticed for some reason the AI was acting strange sometimes. I'm not sure if it is because there are too many of them on screen at once, but so far I've only noticed it when there are 3 or more enemy or wingman planes.
  • Cool stuff! The ejecting to respawn is a nice touch.

Not sure if it has been pointed out but the missiles seem to explode as soon as they hit the top of the screen, making it seem like there's a ceiling. I can't recall if there where cases of this happening or if the planes just explode mid-air (admittedly I was going crazy with the missiles), but in flying games it's quite rewarding to be able to shoot down a plane so that it crashes to the ground - for your own plane being out of control would also give a chance to eject before you hit the ground.
  • It's looking great in HD! Agreeing with most of the previous guys' comments.

- Are the AI supposed to be shooting? They didn't seem to be attacking me?

- I feel like the arena is too low, like there could be more vertical space to it all -- you are flying planes after all, though the tension with the possibility of crashing into the ground is a good thing to have

- On that, perhaps the controls are a bit too tight, too good? Turning circle is super tight, and I seldom feel like I'm ever in real danger, and the plane controls more like a zippy little micro machine, except there's no course to be zipping around.

- Oh yeah, on that, how about in-air collectibles and obstacles?

- There are outlines around everything... Including the clouds in the backgrond? That makes the art feel less depthy, it feels. The parallax is great though.

- Give pilots something to do on the ground beside the barn? I love the idea but it kinda doesn't do anything. Maybe AA guns, or the ability to launch a missile or something that can hit a plane from below? And can they be killed while on the ground, by planes' guns or bombs? They should, or else it's kinda 1-dimensional.

- Would this be multiplayer or single-player? Because if multiplayer it'll be SO much better, but harder to implement any kind of "bullet time" feature.

- I do feel like everything is a bit fast, gives the player less chance to respond to situations.

- The flip thing - it does feel superfluous as a flip. A suggestion: If you made it hold down to barrel roll you can barrel roll and doge for an extended period of time, perhaps sacrificing maneuverability (like you turn slower or drop from the sky) - that way if a player IS lining you up and trying to shoot you, you can hold it down instead of jabbing the button like mad. And there should be a sacrifice when you get to be invincible.

- Guess like my own game much of this is under construction so when it gets worked out it'll all make more sense :)

Keep rocking! :D
  • love this concept. It reminds me a lot of the old Ducktales game that I used to jam with my neighbor back in the 80s. Giving me 4 color monochrome flashbacks. Nice.
  • Can we get a gameplay video please?
  • edited
    I'm trying to record one, but for some reason Fraps and Hypercam don't want to register the application screen.

Will try get one up tonight :).

EDIT: Cool, I have uploaded a short gameplay vid:
  • Updated again:
    http://www.reddotlab.com/Blazin_Aces/PublicBeta/

Big fixes:
    -AI tweaked, now should act more realistic
    -Pilots can be shot in mid air and on the ground
    -Included an arrow to indicate where nearest enemy is
  • Hey guys, a new build will be incoming soon:

BETA 0.4 Features:
    - Powerup weapons, both offensive and defensive
    - Local splitscreen gameplay (with xbox controllers)
    - Proper scoring system
    - Various bug fixes

ETA: 15 September

Will update again when demo is live
  • So I managed to get an xbox controller working with the game, as well as the special weapon drop.

Edit: I'm having a nightmare sorting out the parallax scrolling on splitscreen, will upload the latest version once splitscreen is working...

• edited
    Hi all,

I've managed to record a new vid for the game - it's the final version for what will be playable at rAge:

(please ignore my shoddy video capture software, such a mission to get it to start capturing when I start the game...)

You can also download the new version that will be shown at rAge here:
    Blazin' Aces rAge demo

You need at least 1 xbox controller to play the demo :)

Changes from last release:
    - Xbox controls! (Just for the rAge demo)
    - Large amount of new sound effects and music throughout the game
    - Instructions and how to play screen
    - All special weapons added: 3 offensive and 3 defensive weapons

Let me know what you guys think :D
  • I've been working on some touch screen UI graphics, I'm kinda digging these.

What do you guys think?

UI.jpg
    645 x 266 - 83K
  • Cool! :)

I think I'd look at making the lines a bit thicker, especially on your text. If your screen gets shrunk for whatever reason (like if it's going to be on mobile at some point), I think that could get quite hard to read.
  • Cool! :)

I think I'd look at making the lines a bit thicker, especially on your text. If your screen gets shrunk for whatever reason (like if it's going to be on mobile at some point), I think that could get quite hard to read.
    Yeah, i'm planning for mobile first. I was a bit worried about the legibility, but the buttons are going to be quite large. I'll most definitely test it out on a few devices before making the final call.

• So I've integrated some of the stuff into a basic landing page layout...

Still need to tweak the colours and stuff but I think it's working together nicely...?
    BA_Menu's.jpg
    960 x 640 - 227K
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • And I've started implementing a new level - the Ice Fields. (Please ignore my horrid mobile UI controls overlay)
    Hoping to get a playable version out soon, just having issues with the spawning at the moment.
    BA_New_level.jpg
    960 x 540 - 136K
  • I see you've implemented showing the scoring in the centre of the screen next to the player's plane. Awesome stuff!
  • Yes, I've also got the special weapon pickups appearing above the players' plane - but it's difficult to see straight away what they are.
  • Make the crates twice as big!
  • I already have, but I don't think the crates are the best way to show the weapon. It looks rather strange with this crate above the plane thats the same size as the plane. I think I need to extract the icons on the crates and use those instead...
  • RPS: What are the most important factors in making a gun feel good?

Nijman: There’s a couple of things, but the most important factor would probably be sound. On Nuclear Throne we’re working with a great audio designer called Joonas Turner, who manages to produce super realistic but over the top sound effects that really suit this game. A good, punchy, bassy gunshot does wonders.

Other than that we always make sure our projectiles move at relatively high speed, look huge (the bullets in most of our games are about the same size as the players), and communicate clearly (with some animated effects) when hitting something. There’s also screenshake. Just moving the screen around a bit randomly, and offsetting the camera away from where you’re aiming can be so powerful.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/21/interview-jan-willem-nijman-on-nuclear-thrones-feel/

It's what we spoke about at rAge 2013 :)
  • Thats a really rad find!

I'll definitely read into it! I have made the bullets bigger as well, but kept the collision mask the same size.
    That way it doesn't make it too easy to hit an enemy plane.

• edited
    I think a Nazi Zeppelin is in order. Scrolling across the top of the screen? The kind that shoots slow bullets you have to evade would add an additional dimension maybe? Kinda like a boss you have to take out that has a lot of health. When you destroy it, it falls to the ground (Hindenburg in flames) and has to be evaded. This all happens while you dogfight the other planes. Maybe it leaves behind a power-up like a shield or burst fire or something else similar? The speed of the game also seems slightly too fast. (Edit: I read full thread and see dislekcia has mentioned as well) I want to see all that eye popping graphics dammit! It's too fast.. maybe I'm just getting old? LOL. It looks very good Duncan...
  • @duncanbellsa I saw your offer for apks on the meetup thread. If you have an iOS build, have you looked into TestFlight for getting some testers?
  • Ah unfortunatly I don't have an iOS build, and I won't be able to get one ready for tonight... But I've got my phone so if you'd like to give it a quick test you're more than welcome :)
  • I would _definitely_ like to give it a shot. I had a ball with it at rAge :)