[Event] Joburg Community Meet-up - 09-Oct-2012

edited in Events
As usual, this will be from 18:30 until around 21:30, at the Microsoft Offices at 3012 William Nicol, Bryanston, in Auditorium 1.

Talks
  • Bladeslinger Art (Renier, <15min)
  • Bladeslinger's Camera (Claudio, <15min)
  • Production (Johan, <15min)
  • Game Animation (Kobus, ~10min)
Games
  • Bladeslinger (Matt)
  • Book of Blood (Alec)
  • Monthly Challenge

Comments

• edited
    I need to chase them up about it to confirm (tomorrow), but there's a good chance that we can have:
    • Bladeslinger demo (Luke)
    • {Art of Bladeslinger, working title} (Renier)
    • {Some design/programming talk} (Claudio)
    • {Production-related talk} (Johan)
    • {Possible additional talk if we still have time, super concise version of stuff I was covering in my classes} (me)
    Thanked by 1Rigormortis
  • I'd like to demo and talk about Book of Blood...

Title of talk: Book of Blood - Iteration N
  • Thanks for doing this Elya, I was slacking and panicked today about it. :)
  • No problem. I forgot about confirming with them. :P
  • Woot, confirmed. :) ...I still need to get time estimates.
  • Matt's doing the demo, as Luke can't make it. :)
  • Looking forward to this! I'll put together a super quick run of my semi-sane progress. Just need an hdmi/vga adaptor :) Tuesday tomorrow right?
  • Ye, I'm bringing my laptop so I will have thunderbolt ->HDMI, HDMI -> DVI, and DVI -> VGA
  • Cool I'm keen to attend, still have never come to one of these :)
  • I'll prob demo BS on laptop (got a Displayport -> VGA) and have it on devices for people to touch.
  • Tuesday tomorrow right?
    Yipyip! (gogoairbison)
  • Thanks everyone for not having rotten tomatoes cocked when my game crashed. Lessons learnt today: VERSIONING.

The producer talk was very informative, as were the cool camera tricks talk and everything else really. Even the music-as-game thing, though much more advertising lean, was interesting.

RAHRAHRAH. Hope the vids go up so other people can point and laugh at people (mostly me)
  • *casts rez*

Just letting you guys know that I have finished editing the videos. And that editing videos is boring as fuck. On the bright side the end result is 3 gigs as opposed to 20. Now I just need to poke @edg3 so I can give them to him to upload.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • high diggidy five :) i look forward to seeing an entire mgsa channel where we can all be putting up stuff regularly, and stick it on the front page or something. Videos are always (sometimes) interesting :)
  • Having multiple cameras does make the video a bit more interesting, but I'll let you guys decided that.

Also the back of the room is actually a really terrible place for a camera. The lighting is off and it doesn't get good audio.
  • Yeah I was a bit worried about the audio, I think we should just set it up as close as possible, on the left of the podium, I guess. Or front and centre. Depending on what we have.
  • @Karuji, thanks for taking the time man. :) Can't wait to see it. And +1 for having a MGSA channel.
  • Just give @Karuji the deets to upload, I think that would be the easiest in this digital age :) Well, depends on what's easiest between you guys :)

Coooool :D
  • (Karuji doesn't have DSL. He mainly uses mobile data. ;) )
  • I feel his pain, I'm in the same boat :) Stuck between wanting to abandon 3G to go uncapped but locked into contract which added together makes me go meh :(
  • Oh I just lack phone lines. They have been stolen something like 30 times in the past 5 years. So Telkom kind of decided to stop replacing them. The irony is I got an SMS from Telkom telling me they are increasing my line speed.
  • on this topic, is 2mb DSL line enough for gaming needs? I don't feel like I wanna spend a grand on 4mb line every month. *shivers*

Also, I guess someone should start the agenda for the next meet :)
  • @Tuism, it depends on the game probably. But the bigger issue is local vs international servers. With a 4Mbps vs a 1Mbps the latency is basically the same on international servers.
  • So... It doesn't matter if I get a 2mb or 1mb or 4mb? I'm looking at going OpenWeb since been researching a little and found they seem the most reliable (and they have a special on). Are there any other advice for DSL?
  • I haven't looked at the stuff lately, but the speed is not that big of an issue for gaming. But like I said, it depends on the game. Most online games do the processing locally so it's just the essential data that gets transfered. It's like waiting for water to run through a pipe that is 5km long and then buying bigger pipes so that it gets there faster. Which won't do anything but will cost more. Something you might want to look at is unshaped vs shaped. That is something your ISP has control over. But I have never tested it so I don't know what effect it will have on gaming.
  • Also, I guess someone should start the agenda for the next meet :)
    We usually aim to do that two weeks before the next meet. :) Although there's no real rule I guess; can do it earlier. :)
  • @Tuism 1mb is enough for most games I know. League of legends, WoW, diablo 3, call of duty. And I can play all of these with a couple of flatmates as well on 1 mb. The only thing, as @Rigormortis said, is the latency. You can't really get around that unless you have some sorta special setup that I don't know about. Although the latency shouldn't be so bad as to stop you from playing. I generally get about 200~220ms latency on games I play.
  • Yeah, 200-220ms is totally playable. You can even go to about 500ms and still be able to play. Just don't try to do stuff like pvp with a latency like that. Not sure about the shooting games, but the timings on rpg's like WoW totally sucks at that latency.