Durban Community Night?

edited in Events
Any devs in Durban willing to get a community night up and running?

Comments

• Say it with me...

I would ask the guys here... Is there a Microsoft office down in drubs that you guys can use?
    Get in touch with as many durbs devs as possible, more help the better.
    Figure out a good regular date.

Good luck! :)
  • There hasn't been an MS Office in DBN for a couple of years. I suggest looking for a regular dev group in DBN and ask about using their venue
  • What about asking Derivco?
  • They are strict on security but it is an option. I'm pretty sure the university wont mind us using a room and we can get all the students involved (i am currently studying at ukzn westville).
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • @Fengol there is a Microsoft office just above our office in Umhlanga?
  • There used to be a regular durban game dev group that met at UKZN. How many Durbanites do we have on the forum and how many people can they each bring with them to a regular event?
  • @dislekcia I'll spread the question on the social media pages this week to get them in :). The RuneStorm guys are about an hour away from UKZN as Google Maps tells me, so they might be willing to drop in.

• @Fengol there is a Microsoft office just above our office in Umhlanga?
    Then they've re-opened one since! I can ask the MS developer evangelists who to speak to in DBN.

I wonder if they have a conference room?

• I can probably organize use of the MS office. Will chat to them (I previously mentioned the idea actually).
  • I know of number people who would regularly attend this.
    Derivco have started having open dev evenings so it could be an option.
    Microsoft would be a better option though but if that doesn't work out I could try organise something from Derivco.
  • We do have offices, we cannot organize space at the Durban office though unfortunately. Sorry guys. Derivco would seem to be the best option for Durban at this point.
  • I will be keen just let me know when you have a venue.
  • We're about an hour away, as @Bensonance says, yeah. I absolutely do NOT know my way around Durban though :P Would attempt to make any meetups however. Weekend would be preferable as well :)
  • @Insomniac would you be able to check if there is any space available at Derivco? if that doesn't work out, i will try get a venue at UKZN.
  • @Gareth I'm looking into it, will keep you updated.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Yeah, I'm in Durbs, would be cool to meetup. :)
  • Yeah that would be cool. I could possibly arrange it at my work place.
  • No luck with Derivco yet but I'll keep trying. @Gareth can you look into UKZN
    Before we have a formal community night with speakers, we could have a casual meetup at a restaurant somewhere to get things going. Anyone interested in that?
  • I'm happy that this is happening. :)

@Insomniac, I think you have a good idea by at least starting to meet up. That way you guys can get a good sense of numbers and can use that to plan better. That, plus you get to meet up. Meetups are awesome :D

YAY MEETUPS! :D
  • How many people you reckon it would be?
    We could probably host about 10 - 12 people in our office, would need a to get a few more chairs.
  • Derivco have offered a venue, we're working out the last few details and then I'll start a new thread.
  • Insomniac said:
    Derivco have offered a venue, we're working out the last few details and then I'll start a new thread.
    So awesome :)

• Count me in.
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • I am keen to attend. I have a couple of projects on the go with my team in JHB and Medford, Oregon, USA. 8-}
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • Oh, this sounds good.
    People seem to be having all the fun in JHB and CPT so I was thinking of starting a thread to see if there were many people and if we could get a meetup in this area, so... Great!
    Hopefully we can rattle all the way down to Durban in the old car. :)
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • I would like to also attend as I live in Durban and am very interested meeting up with anyone making games. the only studio I know of in Durban is meltdown interactive which is based in Durban north.
  • I don't think Meltdown exists anymore in Durban, moved to New Zealand.
  • So ... ummm ... errr ... when are we having a meet? 8-}
  • Hi Guys, once you've got a confirmed date, time and location for the meet up, please let me. @Fengol or @Bensonance know and we will create the events on Meetup, Facebook and here :)
  • for now we'll all just have to go to the Derivco dev night on the 27/03/14, only 3 days left to get your tickets. going to be awesome, possible Oculus Rift experience and @roguecode will be doing a session on Netduino.
  • How much is the ticket and where can I buy it? Also can anyone give a lift to derivco and back?
  • I have applied to attend via meetup.com

http://www.meetup.com/Derivco-Dev-Community/events/169533682/

Have not received confirmation yet.

@2squared : I am willing to provide transport. email me on chatcclub@gmail.com
  • Event was pretty cool,got to try out the oculus rift and it was really immersive.
  • Congrats guys! What was the turnout like?
    Did you guys take pictures?
    Were there prototypes shown?

:D

Also, why did you have to "book tickets"? Was there a guy at the gate asking for your ticket? Just wondering :)

Are you guys making it regular? :D CT is 1st tuesday of every month, Jozi is 2nd tuesday, may I suggest 3rd tuesday for Durbs? :)
  • It was a derivco dev night meeting and all i know is that it is once every 3 quarters.
  • Once every 3 quarters? A quarter being 3 months? So once every... 9 months? What? :P
  • there were guys asking for tickets, I'd say about 60 or less people were there, the only game shown were those of derivco with the augmented reality cards, samsung smart watch and the oculus rift.
  • I think its like march ,june , sept etc
  • It's every quarter, so every three months. The netduino talk was pretty awesome! Seeing a full native Android game running on a galaxy gear was impressive. The SQL CLR talk went over my head. There's a pic or two up on the @derivco twitter feed.
  • Im in durban from the 10th to the 15th if anything is happening then Ill pop round!
  • I'm not sure that the thing @2squared went to was an MGSA event at all... It sounds like a Derivco thing that they do on their own anyway, not something MGSA members put together.

Although, how do the Durbanites get Derivco involved in another event?
  • Alright folks, Nick's asked me to try and get a monthly Durban meet going. So let's do this!

Thinking something very simple to start. Not sure how many of you made it to the Derivco Day, I was busy myself. So how about a basic meet and greet? We'll go to a restaurant, get drinks and/or lunch/dinner, get to know each other a bit.

We'll chat about organising a proper venue/equipment and suchlike while we're there.

Would be cool if we could do it while Bevis is in Durbs so he can come along and say hi.

Unfortunately I've got a wedding to attend that particular weekend, I can only do something late Sunday afternoon or Monday evening. Or Thursday evening on the 10th (next week).

If that's not a convenient time period for folks, we can meet later in the month.

Indicate if you're keen, and when is a good time for you this month, please.
  • That sounds like a plan! I imagine things to be hectic over the coming week, so probably sometime after the 11th would be good I think. Mind you, if it's only a few hours, we can be flexible.
    Haven't been to Durban in a couple years, so will have to dig around Google maps extensively.
  • Count me in whenever it is ... :)

Looking forward to the meet and greet.
  • Hey Gareth, Count me in
  • I would like to come also , just tell me when.
  • I'm keen, and I'll make time to be there!
  • I'll be there. Thursday 10th sounds good