Maintenance 23/10/2013

edited in General
Hi Everyone,

We've got an update on the theme and functionality thanks to @Nitrogen. Please force refresh your browser to get the latest CSS files.

Changes:
- The discussions is list MUCH smaller, moved the author to the top right, moved the date in-line with the last commenter.
- Fixed @Tuism's issue with the notifications [Edit: see previous maintenance thread]
- Improved the Inbox list
- Improved the Inbox conversation view
- Improved various blue coloured boxes around the site
- Most of the dates are set back to the original formatting (e.g. the short "3:02PM" or "22 October") BUT with the full date available when you hover over it with your mouse. This might be the best solution for screen real estate and usability. Added the roll-over functionality on every post in a thread, and in your inbox conversations.
- Added in a preview of the thread body when you hover over the thread title in the discussion view. This was done in the last update, but it didn't work for some reason.
- Add more CSS styles around the site to make it behave the way it's needed - i.e. on posts which have an "Options" menu, the thread author slides to the left to make room for the options menu when you hover over it.

Please continue to give your feedback and suggestions so we can have a slick and readable site.

Comments

• Cooool, so what do you mean by fixed notification issue? Cos I had something in my inbox handy (hehe) and I just went to read the inbox, and there's still a (1) next to my name Tuism :P
  • Tuism said:
    Cooool, so what do you mean by fixed notification issue? Cos I had something in my inbox handy (hehe) and I just went to read the inbox, and there's still a (1) next to my name Tuism :P
    I doubt I'll ever be fixing that, that's a core Vanilla issue sounds like - although it's strange I've never encountered it.

No, what I was refering to was the notifications area of your dashboard, the items going all out of alignment visually.
  • edited
    Added the roll-over functionality on every post in a thread, and in your inbox conversations.
    Just a clarification on this - this is for the dates. So if you hover over the date of this comment, you should see a tooltip with the full date popup. This works for the "By suchandsuch" thread authors and the last comment date on the discussions page, the comments in each discussion and the conversation dates in your inbox.

I've also added that the first few words of a thread pops up when you mouse over the thread title in the discussions view.
  • The changes are fantastic! Well diggidy done :) Love the hover options thing, looks great, works great.
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • Tuism said:
    The changes are fantastic! Well diggidy done :) Love the hover options thing, looks great, works great.
    Thanks! That's high praise indeed!

• Yeah the site is looking great guys!

On mobile, are there still changes coming?

It was red, now back to blue? And if I go to my profile, the font is huge and goes off the side of the screen.
  • Excellent modifications.
  • It has just occurred to me and @Aequitas that listing the total number of topics in each category on the right side has little value. Is it possible to dig into Vanilla and change that number to recent / unread / new per category instead?
  • Nandrew said:
    Is it possible to dig into Vanilla and change that number to recent / unread / new per category instead?
    That's a brilliant idea, and I'll look into it. It also means there's value in clicking on the categories.
  • RickyGC said:
    Yeah the site is looking great guys!

On mobile, are there still changes coming?

It was red, now back to blue? And if I go to my profile, the font is huge and goes off the side of the screen.
    Yes the mobile I'm still working on but it's going to be a bit slow until the end of compo E...