My game "tech temo"

edited in Projects
Hi.

Here's my game engine "tech demo" that I've been working on.

More detailed info here: http://makegamessa.com/discussion/457/anyone-selling-games-on-their-own-websites (if you haven't seen this already).

I decided to start this new thread for it as this is a little off topic for the old one.

I had a function built into my game where I could push a button and it would start recording whatever I was doing at the time. I singled out a few clips from over the years and compiled them into a 5min video. It goes from oldest to newest. Please keep in mind that I've been working more on getting things to work functionally rather than graphically so the graphics are nowhere near where I want them to be.

So here it is:

Now I just need to finish my GUI system and add a whole bunch of game modes! After I get the game to actually compile again (I've left it for a while).

Comments

• So what goals are you going to be adding for people so they can play? I'd argue that systems that support those are more important than GUI stuff right now.
  • In multiplayer, I am definitely moving away from the whole "cubes" idea. Technically, it would create a lot of unnecessary network bandwidth and also way too much CPU time for all the physics.

Because I found LAN play so much fun, I decided I want to add a proper GUI with a LAN browser so it's easier to discover and join LAN games. I'll be creating a game mode class so I can derive all game modes from that. In the main menu, it will simply list all game modes and you will be able to easily select them.

Gamemodes that I will start with are: Capture the flag, King of the Hill, "Zombiefied" and Soccer. Maybe an actual race too :)

After I've made that, I'll release a demo.
  • I think what @dislekcia is talking about are actual game mechanics - what's the game about, what do people do in it, what makes it different from other games. Saying CTF, King of the Hill, Zombiefied and Soccer doesn't say much - COD has game modes, Quake has game modes, in fact Fat Princess has similar modes, so does MechWarrior. They are all very different games, mechanics and gameplay wise.

So... I think that's what he's referring to, and what I'm curious about, too, actually :)
  • Honestly, I haven't worked out the mechanics yet (because of my usual time constraints) but it's pretty straight forward. You'll get to see it all in action when I eventually release a demo. Soccer will be a little more unique than most games though. The game is all about cars so it's "Soccer with cars". You'll have 2 teams of cars on a soccer pitch and you will drive and push the ball into the goals. Keep in mind I haven't tested this yet though. It could end up really boring or too hard to move the ball around with a car - then I would cancel that game mode. At the moment (after I finish off some other things to do with the engine itself), it's all about experimentation :)
  • @AntiVoid: Mechanics and making them fun are never straight-forward ;) Best to get started on them ASAP and get more time dedicated to them.
  • Depending on how your car mechanics interact with it, I think that "soccer with cars" could potentially be hilarious fun. ^_^
  • @dislekia: I'm trying to make some more time in the week so I can work on the game. Recently purchased a new pc. Since I have to reinstall everything, I might as well upgrade to a newer Visual Studio (11) and update all the libraries. We'll see how that goes...

@Thaumaturge: I agree. I myself am looking forward to when I first test that out :D