2D/3D Generalist Internship Unpaid

edited in Jobs
My Studio did a lot of work over the years on AAA games for one of the large publishers so I'm in the process of restarting my game studio after taking a break for a few years.
So I'm looking for someone around Centurion or Remote. There will be a lot of training involved. Software is not that important. 3D printing experience is a plus.
Contact me for more information.

Comments

• Is there somewhere people can see your work, so they have an idea of what sorts of skills they're likely to develop and to what level?
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Hey, @Dracus, welcome to the forum :) Some more information would be greatly appreciated. Things like:
    Your studio's name (website).
    Games you've worked on (genres).
    Name of the publishers you've worked with.
    Prototypes or game jam games you've worked on.
    Any art or trailers on projects you've worked on.

Any of this information will help you get the best possible response from artist who are interested in the types of games you guys produce.

Also, fair compensation will vastly increase the quality of your applicants! You catch more flies with honey ;)

Good luck, and all the best :)
  • Could we possibly be more active in discouraging unpaid positions being advertised? @bensonance (dunno who is managing the forums these days?)
  • @dammit I don't think there's anything in the forum rules about advertised jobs having to be paid right now :). That can be discussed on the forum rules thread probably.
  • Yeah, I mean, I can sort of imagine a situation where it's beneficial to take an internship unpaid simply because the person's a god at what they'd do, and I'd be learning things that are directly applicable to what I want to do, and where it'd be kind of the same thing as studying somewhere except far more relevant and I don't have to pay fees. I know that there's a handful of people in the world that I'd be willing to work with for free (for a limited time) just to learn from them and because I believe that together we'd make something great. That's largely why I asked for a portfolio... though in retrospect I suppose that'd be more of a collaboration than an internship, and if I wasn't getting paid it'd have to be because they weren't either.

But yeah, if they're really good at what they do, then they can afford to pay interns. The only way I can maybe justify interns not being paid is if there's absolutely no way that the work they'd make would be used commercially (i.e. it'd be a cost to the studio to spend man hours mentoring them, and the studio itself gains nothing except some positive vibes and the warm feeling that maybe they're helping develop future local talent). In that circumstance I don't feel it's exploitative, because the labour isn't being used.
  • Guys, really? Why are you getting so upset if you want a paid position then by all means with market related salary. There is just a few requirements for it then.

At least 5 years experience in the game industry with proven track record.
    Autodesk, Adobe, Unity, etc. Certifications
    At least 1 published AAA title PC and Console.
    At least 5 published Mobile titles.

If you meet these requirements then you can get a paid position.

I was looking to build a local team so I'm willing to invest a great deal in them but it seams I will have to stick to an international team for now.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • edited
    Dracus said:
    Guys, really? Why are you getting so upset if you want a paid position then by all means with market related salary. There is just a few requirements for it then.

At least 5 years experience in the game industry with proven track record.
    Autodesk, Adobe, Unity, etc. Certifications
    At least 1 published AAA title PC and Console.
    At least 5 published Mobile titles.

If you meet these requirements then you can get a paid position.

I was looking to build a local team so I'm willing to invest a great deal in them but it seams I will have to stick to an international team for now.
    Well it will be hard for someone to leave their own unpaid project and join your own unpaid project, taking into consideration that game developers in south africa don't even fill a bus. I myself have refused many job offers because I want to finish my own game. If someone want me to stop me from my project and do their's, they must be willing to pay extra for my lost time on my project.
    Thanked by 2BenJets Stellak
  • edited
    Dracus said:
    I was looking to build a local team so I'm willing to invest a great deal in them
    If you're "willing to invest a great deal in them", then surely putting a bit of money into covering/providing rent, transport and food isn't too much to ask?

You're making it out to be a choice between "work for R0" vs "R40k per month salary". But in reality there are lots of numbers in between. :P
  • Could we move this off the main page please, or split the discussion about unpaid internships off to a discussion off the main page until there are rules against such a post. I do agree with the sentiment, but experience has shown having these meta discussions on the main page can lead to unpleasantness :)
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Well I am in. So my number/whatsapp is 0743171414, please let me know more information