Maintenance 05/02/2014

edited in Association News
Under your profile you'll now find badges!

I want them to bubble up to the threads and posts but this is the start.

If someone wants to contribute their time to making better badges please be my guest (the full list can be downloaded here) and I'll replace them.

Badges:
  • Charter Badge to the first 100 users in your forum plus 10 points.
  • Anniversary Badges are awarded for each year member has visited forum.
  • Comment Badges awarded for 1, 10, 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000 comments.
  • Thankful Badges awarded for 1, 10, 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000 <3's
  • Five Special Badges
There's only 1 custom badge at the moment "Committee Member" (sba.png) but we'll probably be adding more soon (sbb.png -> sbe.png).

Comments

• Whoa, ok, these badges :D
  • May I comment... That people should be motivated to get more hearts rather than to spam more hearts? Hearting EVERYTHING is just not helpful, right?

Or maybe only hearts on posts that more than one person has hearted counts? Some kind of algorithm?

My 3c (due to weak rand exchange)
  • Fengol said:

Badges:
    • Charter Badge to the first 100 users in your forum plus 10 points.
    • Anniversary Badges are awarded for each year member has visited forum.
    • Comment Badges awarded for 1, 10, 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000 comments.
    • Thankful Badges awarded for 1, 10, 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000 <3's
    • Five Special Badges
    On seeing 10000; to ad-hoc quote Bones: "My God man, I am a programmer, not forum grinding monkey"

:P

What are special badges?
  • edited
    Tuism said:
    May I comment... That people should be motivated to get more hearts rather than to spam more hearts? Hearting EVERYTHING is just not helpful, right?

Or maybe only hearts on posts that more than one person has hearted counts? Some kind of algorithm?

My 3c (due to weak rand exchange)

Both post count and hearts are kinda things that can be gamed. But unless you are going into people's profiles it really doesn't matter.

Same kinda goes for the charter badge, really just people who signed up early enough, and then you can just look in the URL for the number and that is their sign up number (props to those that have single digits ;) )

---

While the system may be gamed by people who want a silly little badges: it's not really going to work on MGSA. The community is really cool and we call shit out and try to help each other get better, and knowing the committee I think future badges are likely to be based on how we help and grow the community as opposed to some number, but right now it is a good start.
  • We totally need a special badge for a person who has ever posted a game or been involved in some way in a game/prototype that has been posted on this forum. With tiers, I guess! Gamifying game creation, whoo.
  • Sure everything can be gamed, but we should be conscientious of what we *may* be leading people into. We are supposed to be DESIGNERS OF THE GAMESES after all ;)

Gaming for hearts is so much more meaning for than spamming hearts. And post count is ok, because it gets real obvious when someone is like "lol" everywhere and will get shunnnnnned shunnnnnnnnnnned. Get a frowned upon badge :)

Totes agreed on prototype badges and posting good stuff badge :)

Like "Participated in Comp A:" badge, etc :)
  • I forgot to mention that last night I also updated the heart option with a graphic.
  • Karuji said:

Same kinda goes for the charter badge, really just people who signed up early enough, and then you can just look in the URL for the number and that is their sign up number (props to those that have single digits ;) )
    Yay for being a 2 then? (Under the administration user :P )
    Chippit said:
    We totally need a special badge for a person who has ever posted a game or been involved in some way in a game/prototype that has been posted on this forum. With tiers, I guess! Gamifying game creation, whoo.
    I like this, could also add badges for milestones that would be great in their career? Like "Showcased game at X show" where X could be IGF or rAge, or wherever?
  • I'm kinda finding the heart button being actual hearts to be a bit distracting, I either read them as hearts in a post when I scroll quickly, in which case HEARTS ARE EVERYWHERE, or I ignore them in which case hearts (as the ones in content) become non-important.

I vote returning them to text so that the hearts in content can resume their position of standing out as hearts :)

Thoughts?
  • Maybe having them as text but changing the colour to red might make them stand out still?
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Do they need to stand out?
  • @Fengol, perhaps some kind of badge of service for past council members? I would like to recognize those who have served the community before.

---

Also text heart > picture heart :)
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • There is supposed to be Unthank functionality but it doesn't seem to want to work :(
  • Lol I was just here to ask that, but I guess one shouldn't "unthank" people :P

Are we spanks now instead of hearting? :)
  • edited
    Adding my voice for the "<3" making a return.

-Edit- Ahhh! Yes, bring back the less than three!
  • <3 > Thanks ;)
  • Just to be clear - I think we want "less than 3" to be the heart button, but we want hearts in post as content like so --> <3

:)
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Are we still thanking? :P
  • edited
    Can we just change the 'thanked by' to 'hearted by'? :)

Thanks, ironically :P
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • done!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • <3 for the hearts.
  • And now suddenly, Unheart is working :(
  • While this is resurrected, what happened to the mobile theme? I used to have the same pagination as on desktop but now I have "load more comments" and it shows the thread from the start on my phone. Doesn't work for long threads at all.
  • I'll have a look
    Thanked by 1edg3
  • Also, link on front page hits "discussion" instead of "discussions" in main description text
  • I wish I could post Instagram videos on here... Any ideas how?

E.g.:

http://instagram.com/p/kxQYIxN1cX/
  • Sorry for double post!

This person who was the marketing manager of Vanilla tweeted me to say that the latest version of Vanilla supports video embed easily:

http://blog.vanillaforums.com/features/automatic-embeds-twitter-facebook-pinterest-youtube-vimeo/

I'm guessing we're not at the latest version, then?
  • edited
    That's if we using Vanilla’s cloud platform but we're hosting ourselves. We're not on the latest version but I'm busy moving all the stuff we did to alter the forum to a plugin/theme so that I can upgrade without breaking anything.
    Thanked by 2Tuism dammit