Bro Force (prototype)

Comments

• So Ash is going to be in the next update? I can't wait. Been looking forward to it for a while. What did you guys end up doing for the weapons?
  • You'll have to wait, as everyone else :p
    see you online bro ! ;)
  • edited
    Douzeju said:
    You'll have to wait, as everyone else :p
    see you online bro ! ;)
    No one ever seems to be online when I want to play. :\
    Edit: An odd object has appeared on my screen.
    Also, in this tower on this level, I've seen some mooks, both heavies and normal, fall some pretty spectacular heights really fast on the tops of the shaky bricks without dying. Might wanna look into that.

Editx2: Oh look, more.

Editx3: I went back to my game after writing the last post, and Indi had disappeared. Not died, disappeared. Without a trace. I sat there for a second and waited, and then the level restarted. I had 3 lives, and there was no "Mission Failure" message, the level just restarted by itself.

EditxInfinity:
    In my second play of the level, the weird blocks are still there, but in different places.
    WutWut.png
    362 x 297 - 19K
    Wut.png
    1072 x 605 - 81K
  • Seen may more of those weird blocks while online with Dragontech.
  • edited
    @DragonTech ... whoa, those aren't meant to be there O_O Damn... My placeholder art looks bad even for a placeholder :)

I'm certain Merrik will sort this out soon. I'm amazed he managed to update the playable just days after getting back from overseas.

Also, for those that are interested.

• Just about a month ago (if I recall correctly), you were like 51st, now you have by far went over 20. OmigoshOmigoshOmigoshOmigoshOmigoshOmigoshOmigoshOmigoshOmigosh
  • Though I'm not part of the dev team, I feel these weird sense of pride and accomplishment. Thanks for sharing! :)
    The spikes are so pretty :) It's only a matter of time... it's happening!!
    Thanked by 2Douzeju DragonTech
  • Hey,great job on the game!I can't wait untill it's released!I would like to make a suggestion about a new bro.Would be cool if like someone from star wars would be in the game.Like:Luke Browalker,Bro Solo,C3PBRO or even Browbacca! :)
  • edited
    Soon... MERICA!

C3PBRO - GENIUS!
  • edited
    @Lion300 What about Bro Vader? He's a total dick in the first three episodes, but he dies in order to kill the emperor at the end.

And he's voiced by fricken James Earl Jones, who has the distinction of having the most terrifying haircut of any movie villain.

• Star Bros DLC.

Win universe.
  • If anyone is willing to help us here, we're trying to test out a different hosting solution. We really want to know if the load times are acceptable (outside South Africa where all load times are rubbish).

http://broforcegame.dreamhosters.com/BROFORCE_WEB.html (The standalone hasn't changed but the webplayer file is hosted now with Dreamhost and we're not sure what effect that has on load times)
  • edited
    Thank you Asylum:
  • edited
    oh lol i hadn't seen THAT trailer yet. SHARKNADO!

BTW the web version loads just fine for me :)

Why does the helicopter jerk to the left a lot during the fly-off screen?
  • 2690 terrorists have already been killed since we've updated! FREEDOM!
  • Oh, you've added doors and other little details, nice. And beehives especially are a nice touch. :p

Can you please update the standalone version too?
  • edited
    BlackShipsFilltheSky said:
    If anyone is willing to help us here, we're trying to test out a different hosting solution. We really want to know if the load times are acceptable (outside South Africa where all load times are rubbish).

http://broforcegame.dreamhosters.com/BROFORCE_WEB.html (The standalone hasn't changed but the webplayer file is hosted now with Dreamhost and we're not sure what effect that has on load times)
    It loaded really fast for me, but it's sort of always loaded really fast for me.
  • Holy shit balls...

The latest build is simply amazing. I was sucked into pure terrorist hunting joy.
    It's coming together so freaking awesomely.

Ash Brolliams is freaking amazing, haha so funny when he goes all psycho with the chainsaw!
    Mini boss is wicked.

Bee hives are f***ing genius!!! So funny!!!
  • My loading time is slow.It takes like 5 minutes to load the thing.By the way,the new stuff are amazing!
  • He was just standing there with the little particles coming out of him,and he didn't want to explode
    Bug.png
    200 x 102 - 6K
  • He was just standing there with the little particles coming out of him,and he didn't want to explode
    we maaaaaaay have fixed that since... I hope...
  • Wow, it's looking good guys! :)

Also, just wanna say I appreciate the sharing of GL data. I think we'll post up our stats soon too.

PS: Oorah!
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    Jesse Cox just did a video (of the now slightly out of date version). We promised him a bunch of stuff, which we haven't delivered yet, and yet he did the video anyway:

Also, I think it gave us a significant spike.

• I really like the changes you've implemented this build - so for a change I thought I'd comment on this Brotastic thread :).

It feels like you focused quite a bit on adding depth this time round? By that I mean you've added more choices for the player via the beehives; doors; more horizontally placed gas barrels; and the scaffolding. I love this extra choice as it requires/allows for more finesse and planning :).

I know they were around last build, but I'm not sure about timed runs, or at least the ranking it gives you: 'Top 17%' - they make me feel obliged to finish levels as fast as possible rather than exploring and cleaning out the level :(. Perhaps this is just me, but maybe one's ranking could be a mix between enemies killed and time taken? That way it's about exploring the level rather than missing half of it. Or perhaps there is a time trial mode that is separate from the main levels?

The difficulty of airstrike level wasn't unfair last time, but I like how it's balanced now to be more fun rather than challenging. Also, both Boss levels have also been tweaked to be a bit fairer than they were before - when I die now it feels more like it's my fault rather than it was impossible to avoid. :)

I like the way you introduce the mines to players with the level where the paratroopers fall onto them - the red light that activates when mines are stepped on is a juicy addition too :). However, I feel in general the paratroopers fall down too slowly? It's been rare when I haven't been able to shoot them all down before the landed - it would be so surprising to have them drop down quickly and surprise you when you thought you were safe. Also, a little flutter in the parachute canopy as it falls would be awesome - but I'm sure you've planned that out already.

Also - there's been a massive addition to all the animations if I'm not mistaken? :D The secondary movement of the shoulders on the walk animation looked great on Rambro and BA in the previous builds and I'm excited to see them on most of the other bros now :). There's also some extra stuff with the jump animations like Blade's cape - @Bevis you've outdone yourself :D.

I like seeing all the enemies you killed and bros that died at the level end - but it could be even better to have them fall down into a heap that gets bigger and bigger. This way you see the amount of carnage and it would also make use of that awesome enemy fall animation, which happens so quickly usually that you can't see it properly.

This comment was mostly for my benefit - so I'd love to hear your thoughts on my feedback. The game is getting increasingly better each time :D.

• Hey Bensonance, Duncans been doing the bro's animation's, for the bro's I just draw the original sprites :) I'll let him know you like his animations :P
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • 'Top 17%' - they make me feel obliged to finish levels as fast as possible rather than exploring and cleaning out the level :(. Perhaps this is just me, but maybe one's ranking could be a mix between enemies killed and time taken? That way it's about exploring the level rather than missing half of it. Or perhaps there is a time trial mode that is separate from the main levels?
    If the developers would set a certain time limit for each level, and if you beat said time limit then it sends your time to the leaderboards and you can see your ranking. If you're slower than that, it only shows the amount of kills. Wouldn't that work?

I think the game needs a world map where you can choose a level and can easily see your best time in that level. That way you could always go back to a level to try finishing it as fast as possible.
    I like seeing all the enemies you killed and bros that died at the level end - but it could be even better to have them fall down into a heap that gets bigger and bigger. This way you see the amount of carnage and it would also make use of that awesome enemy fall animation, which happens so quickly usually that you can't see it properly.
    That actually sounds pretty cool, but I think the current system is already nice and simple.
    How about when you rescue a bro, you keep the current bro but get an extra life (and when you die you start as that rescued bro), but if you high-five him it switches to it? And maybe high-fiveing the flagpoles (checkpoints) would switch bro's too?
    Any comment on this? :3
  • This should be fixed.When I play it happens to me alot.They float for no longer than 10 seconds and just fall down.
    BUG2.png
    247 x 168 - 10K
    Bug3.png
    373 x 213 - 12K
  • I know they were around last build, but I'm not sure about timed runs, or at least the ranking it gives you: 'Top 17%' - they make me feel obliged to finish levels as fast as possible rather than exploring and cleaning out the level :(. Perhaps this is just me, but maybe one's ranking could be a mix between enemies killed and time taken? That way it's about exploring the level rather than missing half of it. Or perhaps there is a time trial mode that is separate from the main levels?
    We actually had a full "brotality" score calculated and displayed but it wasn't easy to let the players have an understanding of how it got calculated and it felt as if we were prescribing the players how to play by giving them a score (same as with Time now). We'll probably take the time out as well and add a a Time Attack/Challenge mode. I REALLY want to get some kind of leaderboard-ish thing in to help with replayability though.

@Ade
    How about when you rescue a bro, you keep the current bro but get an extra life (and when you die you start as that rescued bro), but if you high-five him it switches to it? And maybe high-fiveing the flagpoles (checkpoints) would switch bro's too?
    If we introduce a score attack/challenge mode you'll likely be able to select which bro you play with but I don't think we'll change the campaign system.

@Lion300
    This should be fixed.When I play it happens to me alot.They float for no longer than 10 seconds and just fall down.
    We're working on fixing that, thanks

Thanks everyone for the feedback and sorry for the short responses - busy weekend here!
  • AdeAde
    edited
    I noticed that when Indy shoots, the fireballs have a lighting effect, is there going to be lighting effects in the game?

Dark levels would be cool. I guess real-time shadows etc. could be a bit heavy on the performance though and not very easy to code either. Not that it even needs shadows..

• edited
    On the first picture,I was using Ash's special power while I was jumping on the ladder...On the second,I got really confused...It happenned when I finished the last level and then,on the main menu I clicked continue,which sent me to this place.
    Bug4.png
    147 x 262 - 4K
    ____.png
    1072 x 603 - 59K
  • Just finished it... AGAIIIN... It's Great !!! Ash is a Real Bro !!! Hope the Standalone will be available soon too although there were no problems (except the little glitches) while playing Single Player on the online version).

MERICA!
  • @Lion300, i went to the same "secret level" a while ago in an earlier build. Did you also the have the last boss to fight ?
  • @Douzeju I didn't have the boss fight there.
  • Just saw this now.. Congrats!
    Thanked by 2Douzeju DragonTech
  • @Douzeju - I fought the Boss in the "secret level" in an earlier online version, you just had to go to the end of the map and then come back (at least we went to the end) and then "it!" was there. Just finished the game a couple of hours ago and instead of clicking continue I clicked somewhere else and puff... it loaded something else... aaaahhhh....
  • Insane. Just watched this vid. I got an email.when they uploaded it. This is sick. Well done. Imagine how much publicity this will bring the game
  • edited
    @charly We don't need to imagine how much publicity:

(That's on top of the 2000 + votes that Jesse Cox's video got us)
  • Fookin' awesome! Huge congrats :D
  • Oh wow! Awesome stuff!
    Looks like you're... in the green.

It'd be nice to see you in the next batch.
  • Don't know if you guys saw but look -> sweet man, btw great game so far!
  • edited
    BlackShipsFilltheSky said:
    @charly We don't need to imagine how much publicity:

AnalyticsSteamGreenlight_Graph15_July.png

(That's on top of the 2000 + votes that Jesse Cox's video got us)
    I'm... I'm scared to go and check the comment count. I shall be overwhelmed.
    Edit: Oh my gosh, there have been 13 new pages of comments since I checked yesterday.
  • Woah, what's your position on greenlight currently? I'm guessing that spike pushed you up waaayyy far. Congrats :D This is exciting stuff!
  • i'd like to see some kinda stats around how many searches for "broforce" has there been on the steam store :)
  • If there's something strange
    In your line of code
    Who you gonna call ?
    BUGS BUSTERS !

* The titles and text still appear VERY BIG on my computer with the online version. And i don't know why :/ my Unity web-player was last updated the 4th of april (v4.1.2.1635), and Mozilla Firefox i totally up to date.

* Same bug I reported last time, with a screenshot this time : when you had a bro who had more specials than the bro you rescue, you will appear as if you had as much specials as the previous one. Here, with Brominator : it shows 5 specials (i had Indiana before), but when I use one, it turns back to normal and shows zero left.

* When you're using Ash's special attack and die, the chainsaw sound continues. Also he does a High-five with his chainsaw u^p in the air :p

* You can cut soldiers through doors. Without opening doors.

* When you're walking and continuously attacking soldiers or dead soldiers with your melee knife, your bro seems to float above the platform, as the sprite used shows your bro doing melee attack, but not walking (same thing with grenades and other specials). That would be a good thing to separate the upper body from the lower body in sprites.
    It must be annoying to code for such little details... :S but in terms of animation smoothness, i'm sure it will be better.

* I would suggest that you can close doors with the action key. Yeah, that's another detail :p

*Bro Dredd is a lot more powerful now that his bullets destroy blocks at any range. A bit too much ? The less interesting bro now, to me, is Snake Broskin... i don't know how to improve this bro but there is something to be done.
    brominator 5x.jpg
    1110 x 639 - 295K
    endscreen toujours trop grand.jpg
    1125 x 638 - 126K
    Thanked by 1DragonTech
  • Wow. Are any of you (BF devs) subscribed to Yogscast? Did you first see it here? I'd like to know what your reaction was when you realised one of the biggest YouTube gaming channels played your game? You should celebrate today. Party time, lol.
  • @Blaze, it just fuels our workaholic natures, makes us work even harder :P
  • Hahaha, when will valve contact you?. Im getting into Unity and learning C#. I did a lot of the programming concepts (not all) with Python a while ago. Are you using C# for Brofist? A lot of people recommended cooking with unity. The one problem I find with this tutorial series is that they will do something in part 1 and only explain it 5 parts later. How much experience did you have with unity/c# before you started BF?

I really hope your game does well. Maybe it will put SA on the indie game map