[Event] Johannesburg Community meet up - 10-07-2012

edited in Events
Hi guys,

It is that time again, we need to think of content for next month's meet.

I will definitely be there this community night, and I will definitely be recording it (wont make the mistake of assuming I cant make it again).

[b]The agenda is as follows:[/b]
[list]
[*]News
[*]Scandinavian game dev presentation (Elya, 15 mins)
[*]Graph Theory for Game Development (edg3, 10~15 mins)
[*]Games Loops and Mastery (Karuji, 15 mins)
[*]Discussion: Make Games SA (edg3, 15~20 mins)
[*]Discussion: IGTM (Besonance, 15~20 mins)
[/list]
That should be good for a decent 1h15m session I think. Open floor at the end as always.

I have also posted this to the group mailing list, and linked back here.

We can do the IGTM screening during the month at Wits.

Comments

• I think a separate screening would be better because it is fairly long and I think people would prefer to socialize at the meetups. That being said, if we are short for content then a screening is an excellent idea :)
  • <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><i>"We could discuss this site and the community to get peoples input on it"</i></span><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">The last time we spoke about what we wanted the meets to be was over a year ago (Jan/Feb last year I think). It might be a good idea to spend a few minutes talking about it again, seeing as we have quite a lot of new faces.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">There's also a Scandinavian game dev presentation (just over 15 minutes long) that I'd like to show, about making your games "juicy", with a game demo to go along with it.</span></div>
  • Ok, so will speak to my boss just now about organising a screening, would a weekend or an evening during the week be preferable?<br><br>That sounds good Elya.<br>
  • Ok, this meet is next week tuesday, so I just thought I should bump it.<br><br>For the IGTM screening we can do it any time (preferably in an evening), we can use a lab here at Wits, so when would it suit everyone best? We could probably seat 50~ people easily<br>
  • Hmm may I attend where are you holding it?<br>
  • edited
    <p>It's open to anyone who wants to make games.</p><p>It's at the Microsoft Offices, 3012 William Nicol, Bryanston,​ 2191.</p><p>18:30 - ~21:30</p><p>http://www.facebook.com/events/263943647039990/</p>;
  • I know we're also attempting to have a screening of IGTM, but I think most people will have seen it by now? I mean it is a pretty important to see as game developers.<br><br>Anyway, if we're running short on topics, could we run a discussion on IGTM? There are certainly some topics we could talk about. I would be happy to run it if the consensus is that it's a good idea.<br>
  • Ok, I am bumping this for great justice. We need talks, if anyone has anything to offer?
    Bensonance said:
    but I think most people will have seen it by now?
    Well, if there are people that havent they can come see it :P Also, about the discussion, we could do it, but someone should think of some decent points to discuss about the movie and lead that discussion I think (would you be willing?)

First person to choose a topic from below will be what I talk about (unless we get more offers):
    • Raspberry Pi - Making Games Disclaimer, dont have my RPi yet, so will be more theory based.
    • Graph Theory for Game Development
    • Designing Levels for Games
  • I would be willing to run the discussion - I'll include a quick synopsis of the movie in case someone hasn't seen it. I'll prepare the discussion, but I foresee (or at least hope) that the discussion on where the community should head, will take up the majority of the meet-up. In that case we can just discuss IGTM next month.

As for your topic, I'm feeling a preference for the last two ideas.
  • edited
    @edg3 I think give us a talk of what you are hoping to get done with RasPi, or graph theory. Level design is a huge topic, so unless it's level design for platformer games, or some kind of specific topic (with slides, and/or demos) I feel the discourse would be too high level to actually be of benefit.

I'm willing to talk about games loops and mastery. I've been doing some research and writing on the topic. So I would be willing to talk about it in an informal setting.
  • Ok, well the consensus from my side seems to be Graph Theory, so I shall do that. :)
  • If you're able to Skype me in I'd like to talk very briefly about the association. I'll have the draft constitution up tonight.
    Thanked by 2edg3 dislekcia
  • @LexAquilla sounds great! If edg3 doesn't mind using my laptop if has has slides for MGSA than you can add me on skype with my forum name.
  • @karuji and @lexaquillia Skype-ing in isnt an issue, if Karuji has issues we can use my work laptop too. Havent made specific slides, figured we could just talk about the community site a bit.
  • Does the MGSA talk include discussing how we can improve the meets? :)
    Thanked by 1edg3
  • Thats a good point, will put it on my list :3
  • @Karuji cool, I've sent the invite. Just tell me what time you want to fit me on the schedule. I'll only need 5 to 10 minutes.
  • @LexAquillia doesn't look like I have received the skype invite. I will IM you when I go up for my presentation so you can prepare. After which is @edg3 talking about MGSA so it will be in that slot.
  • What time does the meetup start? I've got another engagement at 7:45 that I forgot about.
  • The meet starts at 18:30 we can re-arrange the order of presentations to accommodate your schedule. Perhaps edg3 and LexAquillia talk about G-DASA then I will do my talk?
  • We can do the GDSA talk first thing if you prefer? So at 18:35 ish? (we often at the event actualy shuffle the order a little at times anyway :P )
  • 18:35 suits me just fine :) Thanks for accommodating me
  • Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to join tonight's session; but I'd really like to participate in the MakeGamesSA discussion.

@LexAquillia, will you please post any interesting remarks or conclusions that come out of tonight's session?
  • @aodendaal it will all be on video :)
  • edited
    So, for the "Juicy" video talk from tonight, here are the links:

Video:
    Flash game: http://grapefrukt.com/f/games/juicy-breakout/

[edit] Oh cool! Youtube links automatically embed the video? :D Win!

Also, recap of stuff we can do to help make our meets better:
    • Have agendas (we kind of do that already though, right? Maybe have better/earlier planning?)
    • Resume the monthly game challenge
    • Very positive response to showing short (<20min) videos from the international community
  • Wow, what a great video!

Suddenly I know @BlackShipsFilltheSky's secret :D
  • Sorry for leaving before everyone was done, was running late for other engagements.

Also, turns out there hadnt been power from the plugs (or the plug got bumped out), so I dont know how much video I got... :(

Also, sending the email to complain about that other group :P
  • @Elyaradine Very good video. Everyone should stop what they are doing and watch it RIGHT NOW! :P

I think what they say is very important, but depending on the game type it may be more difficult to implement things like this. I mean, if you are making a more serious game type it may not be appropriate to add all these effects, but then again, there will be a whole different set of effects to add (maybe explosions, and good sound).

I fully agree with the adding of music to games though. Personally to me, it just adds so much more life to a game, and I have at least 4 different tracks playing at varying stages in my own game.