Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you 10 extra years of life

edited in Tutorials
Many of you have probably seen her previous TED talk. A new video got put up recently.

Synopsis:
When game designer Jane McGonigal found herself bedridden and suicidal following a severe concussion, she had a fascinating idea for how to get better. She dove into the scientific research and created the healing game, SuperBetter. In this moving talk, McGonigal explains how a game can boost resilience -- and promises to add 7.5 minutes to your life.

Reality is broken, says Jane McGonigal, and we need to make it work more like a game. Her work shows us how.
>> Watch it here! <<
Thanked by 2edg3 Karuji

Comments

• That was damn cool. I think the major thing people keep underestimating is how important simply feeling happy with life can be. Also, I was reading Jane's updates during the concussion, it sounded pretty horrible...

I've been thinking about how we're taught to revile the concept of 'play' as we grow up and go through formal education. One day I hope to talk as well about the impact of play on real learning as Jane does.
  • I stayed cautiously cynical from the 'science' claims, this study says this and that study says that, etc, I hear it quite often (this is excluding the difficult times Jane expressed that she was going through, I literally cannot even imagine what it was like, I don't mean to demean that expression, really glad that she was strong enough and had support enough to surpassed that time in her life)

as cynically as I thought I was doing, I was holding well until the baby elephant... my seemingly hard outer shell broke at the baby elephant

... damn that is a cute baby elephant...

cynic reenforcment: -1
  • @raxter IIRC she has a website where she posts all the research behind her talks.

@dislekcia I think that is really true. Growing up my extended family always asked me what would I get from playing so many games. These days I have a lot of responses.

I think the notion of discouragement is similar to that of the people who stop drawing in their childhood which @Elyaradine posted somewhere. Society generally discourages innovation for protectionism. People are much too afraid to admit they are wrong and find better ways to deal with things.

God damn it another prototype to make . . . I currently have two that I am trying to get done.
  • edited
    http://janemcgonigal.com/ 'tis a good site (I'm just skeptical of popular science in general is all :p)

go games \o/ would have had a lesser life without, methinks ^_^
  • ... this idea is so pervasive that games are a waste of time that we will come to regret it ...
    Probably the biggest reason people dont want to get into game development these days too.

Epic talk!