[PROTOTYPE] CARS W/ GUNS

Your boy back at it again. Got a new prototype I've been toying around with for the past couple of months. I started about 8 months ago. CARS W/ GUNS is a small car arena shooter. You get into cars around the arena to destroy other cars and players. Get points for doing both.

BUILD

The plan is for it to be played online but networking takes up so much time. So, I put that on pause and fleshed out a bit of the game design because I found Parsec. Parsec allows your friends to remote into your PC and play local multiplayer games. I've been using it to test out the mechanics and now you can too!

If you don't have friends available. You can bring up the debug menu with F1 and spawn cars from the drop down menu with middle mouse button.

Also, there's an in-game recording tool. Press R to start and stop recording. Use the num keys 1-4 to change the player it records. You will find the recordings under Captures where the exe is. Warning, this kills framerate when there's 4 players. Post your videos here not the socials please. :)

Comments

• looking good! love the drifting. a few jumps maybe?
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • I struggled to run this. I have an Xbox One controller, but the game didn't seem to detect its input. I could spawn other cars, but I couldn't seem to begin a round when pressing Space, and I couldn't seem to enter a vehicle (maybe because the round hadn't started). I pressed a number of different keys but couldn't seem to find the right one.

From the very little that I played (I only ran around on foot), there's a small drifting in the camera that made me feel a bit sick (but I'm very sensitive to that sort of thing).
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • edited
    @Moga Working on it.

@Elyaradine That's weird. Did you first join the game by pressing [return] on your keyboard? Then try to use the controller? If so, the locks the input type when you join allowing for one player to use keyboard and mouse while the others can join with a controller on the same PC. I suspect that's the issue. Were you still unable to enter the car by pressing E?

You can only start a match if there are two or more players joined. Sorry, about the camera we're working on finessing that a bit more.

Thanks for trying it out!
  • edited
    I've been slowly chipping away at the game. Still no networking. :( I want to keep exploring the design. Since the last build I've had a few playtests. I like the interplay between getting in/out of your car. I wanted to push that more at first with level design but I struggled with finding good elements. The other feedback was that people want "more". The critic was based around "it's just another arena game". So, with those two ideas in mind I threw together a money mechanic. So, when the player dies they drop money. In order to collect it you have to get out of your car. I like this! There's still work to be done to tie the killing and collecting cash mechanics together.

New build out on itch.

Thanked by 1konman
  • To tie the killing and collecting money together. Y gotta get enough money to pay for your extraction. That's how you win.

• Lol. Sounds like it's rapidly becoming libertarianism simulator.
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • edited
    looks like alot of fun, love the car tumbling physics
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • TLDR: New build

Changed the way the extraction works. Now the player needs to wait 3s before the extraction is ready. This time buffer allows other players to kill them. I've also added more communication for each player to know what's happening in the game in the form of pop ups.

Currently you "call for extraction" when you get to the cost of extraction. This is because I don't remove money out of the game when you call for extraction. This causes a tiny annoyance where a lot of the action ends up happening around the extraction because all the money is dropped there.

The fix I've played with is to "pay for extraction" and remove the money from the game. So when that paying player is killed they don't just drop a bunch of money near the extraction. This led me to adding cash cows to reintroduce the money lost back into the game. I like the idea but I've shelved it for now because it needs a bit more design work.

I'm now focusing on networking the game. I think the core is good.
    cashcow3.gif
    937 x 523 - 19M
  • Looks like a spiritual successor to the game Mashed. Mashed was generally disliked, but was one of my favourite games as a kid.
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE