[#PROTOSHI] 1 ADVANCED - Critical Dash

This is a non-compete entry by the HOST of the jam.

CRITICAL DASH is a PONG game with added DASH and PUNCH mechanics.

2 Players.
Players can share a single keyboard... or Add Game controllers to enjoy Free aim.

The game can be downloaded here... https://mathbear.itch.io/critical-dash

The focus of my "prototyping" was in achieving an active and responsive feel for Dashing and Punching within a conventional Pong game.

To tie in with the Theme/s I added a runtime Rule System....
Whenever a player loses a set, they are presented with the option to change one of the game rules.

Most of my week-evenings were spent getting a basic PONG game up and running. It was surprisingly harder than I expected. I persevered and found a working solution based on Unity Physics. The result was very natural despite involving some fudged and forced physics.
Friday night was a loss due to load shedding.
And Saturday was spent working on the rules system and adding polish and juice.

I finished earlier than expected and I am very happy with the results.
I even had time to add sound and Visual Effects.
I would have loved to add music but it proved difficult to find a suitable soundtrack that was free, so I decided to leave the music out.

Anyway. This is my non-compete entry (me being the HOST and all) but I look forward to the remaining submissions!

Comments

• Interesting Idea and awesome visual style. I love the neon lighting and effects, it looks great. I think the concept of Pong with Combat and extra movement options is a great one, it reminds a lot of Furi. Only issue I have, is that I could only play it with the keyboard, so I was not able to connect a controller. I attempted to use both a PS4 and Xbox One Controller, nothing happened... unless I'm missing something. Is it possible to maybe play with two controllers or two keyboards maybe?
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Digging the feel of the game. The ball bouncing around with the impact of the player gives the ball real weight.

Not sure if I missed the note somewhere but am I able to play another person on the same keyboard?
    I don't own a controller.
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Not sure if I missed the note somewhere but am I able to play another person on the same keyboard?
    I don't own a controller.
    Thanks for the positive feedback!
    Sorry about the keyboard issue. The Mouse aiming made it tricky to put 2 people on one keyboard...
    That said. there is still some time left to day, so I will see if I can smash something together real quick.
    It might mean that your aiming will be reduced to 8-way, but it is doable.

• VMASTER said:
    Only issue I have, is that I could only play it with the keyboard, so I was not able to connect a controller. I attempted to use both a PS4 and Xbox One Controller, nothing happened... unless I'm missing something. Is it possible to maybe play with two controllers or two keyboards maybe?
    It seems to work fine...
    I've tested it today using 1 xboxONE and 1 PS4 controller. (On Windows 10)
    It even works if I connect the controllers AFTER launching the game.
    I think there might be something else that is different in your setup.

I will post an update today that will allow 2 players on one keyboard (with 8 way aiming) It will be clunky though.

Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • edited
    UPDATE!
    @VMASTER @iamdavidnight
    I have added support for a single shared keyboard. For comfort, I've reduced the control complexity for Shared keyboards.
    • I've tested Controller support (Xbox one, and PS4) connecting pre- or post-launch.
    • You can choose your controller setup at the start of the game.
    • I've also added some nice music. Courtesy of ZE-TEK4. Licensed with attribution. See details in-game.
    • The Latest version is available on the itch page provided above.
    imageimage
    InputOption.png
    771 x 367 - 17K
    NewInputs.jpg
    719 x 569 - 69K
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • Pierre said:
    UPDATE!
    @VMASTER @iamdavidnight
    I have added support for a single shared keyboard. For comfort, I've reduced the control complexity for Shared keyboards.
    • I've tested Controller support (Xbox one, and PS4) connecting pre- or post-launch.
    • You can choose your controller setup at the start of the game.
    • I've also added some nice music. Courtesy of ZE-TEK4. Licensed with attribution. See details in-game.
    • The Latest version is available on the itch page provided above.
    imageimage
    AWESOME! Will try it out soon. You'll have to teach me at some point how to implement a multiplayer system XD
  • My biggest regret in making a 2 player game, is that nobody is at home to play against me.