[#PROTOSHI] 1 ADVANCED - SNACK HUNTER!

"In order to survive as an Alien Bug, you have to find food, find cover and not get crushed by bigger Aliens!"

https://v-master.itch.io/snack-hunter

HOPE YOU ENJOY!

Comments

• Well done. First submission! I have to reserve comments, but the others are welcome to try it out, rate it on itch, and comment/discuss.
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • Just gave it a shot, really enjoyed it.
    the controls took some getting used to but that's more me than any issue with your setup.
    that hand is a nigtmare though because the first few times I got caught it was so much wider than the shadow let on so it was hard to avoid, but eventually you catch on and the only thing I'm still struggling is trying to judge the height it will land at correctly.
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • krazysh01 said:
    Just gave it a shot, really enjoyed it.
    the controls took some getting used to but that's more me than any issue with your setup.
    that hand is a nigtmare though because the first few times I got caught it was so much wider than the shadow let on so it was hard to avoid, but eventually you catch on and the only thing I'm still struggling is trying to judge the height it will land at correctly.
    Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Glad to hear that the hand is seen as a nightmare XD
    I built the controls for an analog stick, so it is a little hard to do on keyboard I'll admit. I was considering using the mouse and making the movement be based on clicks similar to Diablo, but it would've conflicted with the Pad system I already had in place. Let me know what I could do to further improve the controls. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed it! :-)
  • Really dig the concept behind this! Gave me a bit of a Bug's Life feel.
    Dig how the hand is the enemy. Creative use of this.
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • edited
    With all submissions complete, I can deliver my comments now.
    Winners of the competition will be announced on the 5th of May.

Snack hunter was intriguing. It is your best submission out of the four due to it's "FUNNESS" and level of completion.
    The Hand Boss element stood out the most.
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • Pierre said:
    With all submissions complete, I can deliver my comments now.
    Winners of the competition will be announced on the 5th of April.

Snack hunter was intriguing. It is your best submission out of the four due to it's "FUNNESS" and level of completion.
    The Hand Boss element stood out the most.
    Thanks Pierre!
    I'm planning on expanding on it. The original idea of the game was that it was going to be multiplayer. Do you have tips, sources or ideas on how I can implement it? After the other 3 games, I'm thinking of using the Input System in order to support multiple controllers. So I'm just curious on various ways it could be done...

• So you mean. Local multiplayer?

Everybody has their favorite, but I recommend the INCONTROL asset. from the assets store.
    It is a very technical and requires some coding to use properly.
    I used it for the Critical Dash pong game.

I can't comment on the new Unity input system. I haven't tried it yet.
    I can also say, that trying to write your own code to capture and map controller buttons is a TON of work and the time is better spent by purchasing a controller asset (or perhaps using the new input system if that works)

What I like about INCONTROL is that the owner keeps it up to date with all the controllers they can find... the system automatically recognizes the controller and maps the input to universal values.
    But. yeah. figuring out how to use it to that full potential is a little bit of a chore. Not exactly plug 'n play.

With regards to the GAME design for multiple players.
    You have to stop thinking of players as an object in the game.
    Rather start thinking of players as "sessions" with Controllers.
    The player character is just a prefab that you spawn, and marry to the controller input.

If you can wrap your design around that approach then it becomes easy to have as many players as you like.
    Thanked by 1VMASTER