CT Community Evening - 26 February 2020

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Vega School Cape Town -130 Strand St, De Waterkant, Cape Town, 8001

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid-fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks:
- Roguelike Theory by @Fengol
- 'What we learned trying to make people care about our mutant game baby' by TLB ( @BenJets, @nekropants and @jaysong )

GGJ Discussion

Focused Feedback:
- Teenage Blob
- Broforce Forever

Open Demo Floor

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/221654635681141/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get feedback, please post below!

Comments

• Anyone who made a game at GGJ: please bring it with to demo!

@DangerMcjane: are you still keen to do GGJ wrap up at the meetup? Sounded like you wanted to do judging and prizes? Shall I bring some prizes?
  • Could we please grab a focused feedback slot for our Broforce Forever demo? We'd like to get some feedback on the procgen levels, and our new roguelike elements and some new Bros.
  • edited
    With 7DRL 2020 starting on Friday, 28 February I'm happy to give my talk on Roguelike Theory if you want
  • Fengol said:
    With 7DRL 2020 starting on Friday, 28 February I'm happy to give my talk on Roguelike Theory if you want
    Oh damn.
    I tried hard not to overlap any events with the prototyping challenge... I forgot about 7DRL, but I Juuuuuuust missed it by sheer luck.
  • Please could Team Lazerbeam and I book a slot to show off our soon-to-be-announced next game!
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Update to my previous request: if there's still a talk slot going could @nekropants, @jaysong grab that along with a feedback slot?

It's been 6 months since we last showed our game off at an MGSA meet up, and quite a lot has happened for us in that time. At the time, we were on the cusp of announcing the game as an independent release, but @dislekcia wisely suggested that we first approach some potential publishers or partners. We did that, and some amazing doors have opened up for us. It's been quite a process figuring out how to navigate this kinda thing, but we're very happy that we put ourselves out there. We'd like to pass along some of the lessons that we've learned over this process, so with that in mind, we'd like to propose a talk called "What we learned trying to make people care about our mutant game baby".
  • Hey folks,

I propose that the agenda for tomorrow's meetup be:

Talk 1: Roguelike Theory (if you're still keen @Fengol)
    Talk 2: 'What we learned trying to make people care about our mutant game baby' by TLB (@BenJets, @nekropants and @jaysong)

Could I ask that speakers prepare for a 20 minute slot (if you want to take questions, factor that in), and that you outline some takeaways for the group at the end of your talk?

Feedback slot 1: Teenage Blob
    Feedback slot 2: Broforce Forever

Please have machines and builds ready for folks to play on, and be ready to let us know what kind of feedback you're looking for.
    Thanked by 2francoisvn Fengol
  • Please add in a slot for GGJ feedback and planning the prize giving for the next event and what's involved.
    Thanked by 2francoisvn Fengol
  • Agenda looks good. Will update the various places :)

Could I ask that speakers prepare for a 20 minute slot (if you want to take questions, factor that in), and that you outline some takeaways for the group at the end of your talk?

For talk length: usually what we've said in the past is 20 minutes for talking and then a few minutes for questions afterwards. I'm keen to follow that same pattern. Happy to limit questions to 5 minutes plus time for the next speaker to setup

See folks tomorrow!
    Thanked by 1mmillions_
  • Thanks for a great meetup!

Sorry if we were unprepared on our side. We ran into a lot of technical difficulties at the last minute. But we got a lot of value out of the feedback and observing our game being played. We're hoping to bring it back to another meetup in the near future in a much more impressive state.