[pirate pre-skirmish jam] Crimson Soil

edited in Online Competitions & Jams

https://tuism.itch.io/crimsonsoil

Crimson Soil is a game about managing your own level of challenge - sew seeds to grow fruits to harvest, but don't overdo it as you *will* reap what you sew! :)

We didn't quite get to everything we wanted, of course, but it has a game loop and it's quite a challenge... Well, if you challenge yourself :) Post your highscore!

Team:

Steven Tu
Paul Potgieter
Pieter Fourie
Thanked by 2watman konman

Comments

• That was pretty fun! Had a kind of Binding of Isaac feel to it which I like. Catchy tune to play to as well! World champion high score here :)

Crimson Soil.png
    1920 x 1080 - 164K
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • "sow" BTW (but I see you've corrected the game page already).

My high score is 54 but I know I can do a lot better. Of the games that I've gone through, this was one of my favourites - great bite-sized gaming and a complete experience, plus I love the art and music. So far I've found no bugs (bar what you corrected with the update build). I did once have a seed fly off into the forest but I think that was in the jam build and I haven't been able to replicate it since.

For the longest time I thought the score had to do with the number of seeds you were picking up, not the enemies killed, because the action is so frenetic that it's very difficult to look at the interface.

Are you looking for more feedback? Is this a completed project or is the team wanting to do more with it?

20200113002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 152K
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • watman said:
    "sow" BTW (but I see you've corrected the game page already).

My high score is 54 but I know I can do a lot better. Of the games that I've gone through, this was one of my favourites - great bite-sized gaming and a complete experience, plus I love the art and music. So far I've found no bugs (bar what you corrected with the update build). I did once have a seed fly off into the forest but I think that was in the jam build and I haven't been able to replicate it since.

For the longest time I thought the score had to do with the number of seeds you were picking up, not the enemies killed, because the action is so frenetic that it's very difficult to look at the interface.

Are you looking for more feedback? Is this a completed project or is the team wanting to do more with it?

Hey thanks for the thorough input :) There were really many details that could have made the experience better without creeping the scope up too much, including linking the score to kills better, but alas we didn't get to it.

As for whether we're going to do more with it or not, no clue! Way too early to say :) I personally felt that it needs more in the way of progression in the game design to warrant working any further on it. But in short, no clue! :)
    Thanked by 1watman
  • They released the results, congrats on getting a top 10 position.
    Thanked by 3Tuism Fengol francoisvn
  • Oh wow that was hella fast! Didn't expect it to be so quick really. Thank you for the heads up!
  • Congrats on a top 10 position. I enjoyed the game. It's really funny that the player is the source of the enemies too. That is pretty unique. There's a lot of polish for a jam entry which was a pleasure to experience. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Congratulations! That was really fast. I'm still trying out the entries. You will have to bring your waterproof bag to Playtopia to demonstrate it by throwing it into the castle's moat. :)
    Thanked by 2francoisvn Tuism