[SA Game Jam 2019] Magic Marker dum ta dum

Late submission ,
Use the pencil to create object in the game to help navigate the level .
Pressing T will load the lead , hold down your left mouse button and draw .
use A, D,<- , -> , to move .
use Spacebar to jump .
Hobbyist
Diversity
PC and Mac version available .

Having a stable build please check it out . have a ton of levels that i am building
https://twitter.com/EstelleMakhoba/status/1180811696107114497
https://starrynightskies.itch.io/dum-dum-da-dum

Comments

• I can see how this could be an interesting game but unfortunately hasn't quite got a gameloop yet. Why not have the draw function activate as soon as the mouse button is pressed to avoid having to move your finger off 'D' to press 'R'. This could be a lot more intuitive if the character simply ran right automatically and it was your job to draw the missing pieces in and jump to avoid obstacles. The character could even flip around if he hits a wall to add a bit more depth to the level design. The drawing mechanism lags the game out for a second once you release the mouse button so check your profiler to tell whats killing performance there. The idea has potential, just not functional as of yet. :) Good luck and keep working on it.
    Thanked by 1estellebabymama
  • edited
    Asides from the issues mentioned I really like this idea. It seems like a technical nightmare though. I'd be interested to hear what your goal for this was?
    @4t0m1c's idea about simplifying the game to a single interaction (drawing) could create some interesting choices. Maybe worth pursuing.
  • 4t0m1c said:
    I can see how this could be an interesting game but unfortunately hasn't quite got a gameloop yet. Why not have the draw function activate as soon as the mouse button is pressed to avoid having to move your finger off 'D' to press 'R'. This could be a lot more intuitive if the character simply ran right automatically and it was your job to draw the missing pieces in and jump to avoid obstacles. The character could even flip around if he hits a wall to add a bit more depth to the level design. The drawing mechanism lags the game out for a second once you release the mouse button so check your profiler to tell whats killing performance there. The idea has potential, just not functional as of yet. :) Good luck and keep working on it.
    Thank you for trying this , i will post an update with some of your suggestions later today .
  • Ross said:
    Asides from the issues mentioned I really like this idea. It seems like a technical nightmare though. I'd be interested to hear what your goal for this was?
    @4t0m1c's idea about simplifying the game to a single interaction (drawing) could create some interesting choices. Maybe worth pursuing.
    Thank you very much , yes technically trying to achieve this was two nightmares at once , Check later for an update .

• Please let me know if you're based in CT, JHB or where?
  • Congrats on getting a game out! :)

I had a bit of trouble getting the jump to work - sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. Interested to see how this would work with more time and perhaps some of the suggestions mentioned above.

Cool that the character has some idle animation.

I initially thought the stuff that I drew would disappear but after poking bout a bit more it was actually just spawning far off to the right somewhere. Perhaps to make things a bit more solid once the player has drawn something, fill it with colour.

Keep up the hard work!
  • This game sounded very interesting!
    I gave it a try, and my drawings worked at the start of the level... but once I hit the first gap my drawings seemed to spawn much further to the right than I wanted (making it impossible to cross).

I can't even imagine how to make this xD Very intrigued and I'll definitely be checking up on this project in future.
  • Fengol said:
    Please let me know if you're based in CT, JHB or where?
    I am in Pretoria

• Uploaded a new build the game plays different now , please test . I am working on new levels also .
    And an Arcade mode where the character just runs automatically . and also testing the ink system
    where you have to collect ink and it can run out
  • https://twitter.com/EstelleMakhoba/status/1180811696107114497 <--- see here for a quick demo video incase you don't have enough time to play :D
  • Finally got around to trying the update!

I like the new character and movement a lot :D The drawing works sooo much better now and I managed to beat the level this time. The sound was also a nice touch :)

Very nice update, looking forward to more levels!
  • GiGGa said:
    Finally got around to trying the update!

I like the new character and movement a lot :D The drawing works sooo much better now and I managed to beat the level this time. The sound was also a nice touch :)

Very nice update, looking forward to more levels!

Thank you Very Much <3 , I actually have another update going up later today .
    Thanked by 1GiGGa
  • New MAC and Windows Build Up .
  • I played through the two levels. This game feels like there's a ton of possibilities for interesting puzzles!
  • Thank you very much Evan :D , You should see the latest updates , have not gotten a chance to upload but see a shot video clip below .