[Event] Jhb Meetup - 8 Oct 2019

edited in Events
- This event happens monthly (2nd Tuesday of each month)
- is free to attend and
- anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 8 Oct.
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. Conference 3 (left from the entrance)

Content

- 6:00 - 7:00 Grab food elsewhere + bonding time (Microsoft serves food at 6pm and it generally goes quite fast.)
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)

==

- Teaching a machine to play racing games (Andre)
Inspired by a previous community night talk by another developer, follow my journey exploring machine learning and the dependencies I used in an attempt to build an AI that can play a racing game. I will explain how the project is put together and what problem my machine learning model solves (and briefly how). My goal is to lay out an easier path for others, who are interested in understanding machine learning, to follow.
- Pico-8 (Sas van der Westhuizen)

===

- Demo Slot 1 (10 min)
- Demo Slot 2 (10 min)

===

- Discussion Slot

===

- Playtest Pitchathon (if you're playtesting a game, we ask that you give a 30 second pitch to the room about what the game is, before we all break off and play things).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Board game prototypes can and will be played so bring along your prototypes!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the Facebook event (Not mandatory, so don't worry if you don't have/use Facebook) https://www.facebook.com/events/1661172317349931/

===

If you are interested in giving a talk or demo for a meetup, drop a reply in the thread with what you'd like to do or send me a PM :)

Feel free to ping me for any questions.

See ya'll there!
Thanked by 1Cyberwiz

Comments

• edited
    If the second talk slot is still open I'll do one on developing games with PICO-8
    Thanked by 3Fengol Tuism mattbenic
  • edited
    Cyberwiz said:
    If the second talk slot is still open I'll do one on developing games with PICO-8
    I'd LOOOOOVE that, tried to get into PICO-8 once, gave up cos was lazy, but yeah that sounds awesome :)

If you're confirming talking PICO-8 I'll put you down for it :)
    Thanked by 1Cyberwiz
  • Well I'm planning on doing Ludum Dare with PICO-8, so hopefully I'll learn a tonne and can then quickly distill that into something to talk about. Either way I want to try and put together a small live coding demo to show how cool it is.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Well it looks like we have a bumper crop of interesting talks this month!

We have Andre talking about Teaching a machine to play racing games,
    An intro to Pico-8 by Sas
    And an intro to Construct3 by Geoff

RAD! Looking forward to it! :D
  • Hey everyone. Attended my first meet up last night and it was thoroughly awesome! Looking forward to next one. Thanks to the organisers & speakers. Shap shap!
    Thanked by 3Fengol Tuism Cyberwiz
  • Both talks were really interesting last night. Thanks @Fengol amd @Cyberwiz. I really wish I could ditch work today to fiddle with Pico 8 :D
    Thanked by 3Fengol Tuism Cyberwiz
  • Thanks all for coming to the meetup! That was a great one with two amazing talks, pico8 looks super fun and I kinda wish it had better builds :p

And gosh I really want to look into machine learning, if it could plug into unity in any way I could understand
    Thanked by 1Cyberwiz
  • Thanks for having me try and sell PICO-8! It was great fun showing a few small introductory stuff.
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Cool to meet everyone last night, really enjoyed that talks too!