SA Game Jam 20 - 22 September 2019

SA GAME JAM is an annual competition sponsored by Free Lives. Our mission is to encourage more South Africans to try their hand at game making, and to support emerging and established developers. A rising tide raises all ships, you know?

Whether you’re a first timer or an old timer, SA GAME JAM is for you!

This year you stand a chance to win one (or more) of eight prizes, valued at a total of R 30 000.

Connect with us on Twitter or Facebook or right here.

So here’s what you need to know:

WHEN:
20 - 22 September 2019

The theme is announced on Friday at 18:00 and jamming ends after 48 hours, at 18:00 on Sunday (with two hours grace for submissions). You can also extend you jam to 18:00 on Monday, as long as you stipulate this in your submission.

WHERE:
Anywhere! SA GAME JAM can happen wherever you are. The competition is national, so feel free to enter from all corners of South Africa. If you know of a venue in your city that would be willing to host a couple of developers, why not set up a local hub? (Be sure to let us know about it on the SA Game Jam Discord)

WHO:
Literally anyone. We’re super excited to welcome new game makers to the competition, so ENTER ENTER ENTER! If you’ve never made a game before, or if you don’t really know how, keep an eye out for our Team Classifieds Discord channel coming soon.

WHAT:
There are four categories that you can participate in. You’ll have to specify which one you would like to be considered for in your entry.
Student (studying full time and have a student card)
Hobbyist (not a student, but don't make games for a living)
Diversity (not a straight, white male) (PM us at the time of submission if you would like to opt into this category)
Overall (open to all)

HOW:
To enter the competition, you’ll have to start a thread titled “[SA Game Jam 2019] NameOfYourGame" in Make Games SA's “Online Competitions and Jams” category and post your progress there (makegamessa.com). Please don't post design ideas and ambitions, posting that won't help you achieve your goals.

As you release files, edit your first post to point to the most recent versions available.
You must include the following info:

Jam name (SA Game Jam 2019)
Project name
Level of experience (Professional, Hobbyist or Student)
48hr entry / 72hr entry

Please ensure that you familiarise yourself with and follow the Make Games forum guidelines! (http://makegamessa.com/discussion/4108/forum-guidelines-faq)

Once you are happy with your submission, post a link to your thread in the SA Game Jam Discord

We also want to encourage participants to give feedback on one another’s work, so you’ll only be eligible for prizes if you’ve given feedback on five other games. You’ll have until Thursday, 28 September 2019 to participate in the discussion.

PRIZES:
Student, Hobbyist and Diversity category winners will each receive R3000
Best Art R2500
Best Audio R2500
Technical Excellence R2500
Best Narrative R2500
Overall Winner gets R5000

Three entrants will be invited to exhibit at during Playtopia in Cape Town at the end of December (more details on that nearer to the time).

An additional prize of a trip to Playtopia in Cape Town in December will be awarded at the judges' discretion (this includes a flight to Cape Town from anywhere in SA and an entry ticket to the festival, it excludes accommodation)

RULES:
Competition starts on 20 September 2019
Deadline for entries is 23 September 2019, 20:00 (UTC+2).
You can enter as an individual or as a team.
To be eligible to win any of the prizes, your team has to play and give feedback to five other entries by Thursday, 26 September 2019.
Use whichever language, tool or development system you are comfortable in.
Your game must contain all files needed for it to run and should not require other bulky systems to be downloaded or installed, exceptions are browser plugins like Flash and self-contained DLLs distributed with the game.
While any fixes post-jam will be taken into account, the version submitted at the time of the deadline will be played and judged, so make sure it is PLAYABLE WITHOUT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION NOT CONTAINED IN THE GAME.
Competition is open to entry for South African residents over the age of 18.
You retain all copyright to your work.
The illegal use of copyrighted material will not be tolerated. Do not steal!
All risk or liability in case of copyright infringement or other legal issue resides with the entrant, Free Lives and MGSA takes no responsibility for entered games.
The judges’ decision is final and no negotiation will be entered into.

JUDGING:
A panel of judges will play all the entries, and winners will be announced by 9 October 2019. The judges and the judging criteria will be announced soon!

PARTICIPATE FOR EXTRA POINTS:
Other people will reply to your post with their feedback and ideas. Please do your best to take any and all feedback as positively as you can and use it to make your game better.
Participating by engaging in feedback on your own and other entries will be taken into account.
Fixing / tweaking your own entry based on feedback received will also be taken into account.

Comments

• So stoked that this is happening again!
    Thanked by 1Free_Lives
  • Ammmmmmppppped!! <3 SA Game Jam has become an institution for us and it has gotten better year on year. Looking forward to this next one!
  • Super excited about this! This year, Vega Durban is hosting as a venue so please shout if you'd like to come and join us on campus that weekend. I'll share our poster once it's ready :)
  • dammit said:
    Super excited about this! This year, Vega Durban is hosting as a venue so please shout if you'd like to come and join us on campus that weekend. I'll share our poster once it's ready :)
    That's awesome! Can you send the details, and then I'll make an event on the SAGJ Facebook page? Also, are you on the Discord channel? If so, I'll add you to the Durban list!

• dammit said:
    Super excited about this! This year, Vega Durban is hosting as a venue so please shout if you'd like to come and join us on campus that weekend. I'll share our poster once it's ready :)
    That's awesome! Can you send the details, and then I'll make an event on the SAGJ Facebook page? Also, are you on the Discord channel? If so, I'll add you to the Durban list!

Someone else is doing the leg work and admin of organisation. I'm sure they'll be in discord soon enough to chat to you :)
    Thanked by 1Free_Lives
  • dammit said:
    dammit said:

Someone else is doing the leg work and admin of organisation. I'm sure they'll be in discord soon enough to chat to you :)

Here's ourFB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1241245182725030/
  • We hope to see Durban peeps at Vega :)
    Email Invite - SA Game Jam-01.jpg
    3126 x 4876 - 4M
  • We're looking for someone in Joburg who could organise a hub in the city? We have a spot for WITS students arranged, but would obviously like another one that's accessible to everyone. Any ideas?
  • edited
    @Free_Lives I think because it overlaps with one-to-one with Comic Con's dates it might be tricky to organize a hub.
  • I read somewhere that there'll apparently be a place at Comic Con for people to jam, though I suppose requiring people to go to Comic Con if they want to jam isn't ideal.
  • @Free_Lives I think because it overlaps with one-to-one with Comic Con's dates it might be tricky to organize a hub.
    Yup, most JHB-based schools that offer Game Design will be at Comic Con and it's a bit of a tall order to take part in both.
  • One week left, exciting!
    Is there a Cape Town venue perhaps?
  • I can look into a Joburg venue, but I've been away and hadn't thought about this till now so it might be too late...

@megaguy32 here's the CT venue: https://www.facebook.com/events/2413221592279420/
    Thanked by 1megaguy32
  • funzies! Keen to join a team if they looking for art :D
  • Hi guys - we've liaised with Henrike and confirmed that Wits students taking part in Comic Con jam can also submit to SAGJ, however, that's only available for WITS students. We had tried to get another venue for the Joburg hub, but that fell through. @Tuism, could you see what you can organise, even with such late notice?
  • Hi. How do we get access to the SA Game Jam Discord channel?
  • So I had a poke around and couldn't get a venue on such short notice...

So Joburg SA Game Jam: From your homes, or from Comic Con... Or get together amongst you/ourselves!

Personally I have two meetings this weekend so that'll eat into jam time, but I'm gonna try and fit something in :) Down scope! Down scope!

• We've managed to organise a venue for the Joburg Hub - huzzah!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/533638560738515/

Hope this works for everyone!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Cool stuff , can you share the discord link please :) .
  • For the CT venue in particular, is there parking space, and how secure is it?
  • In case you still need to join the Discord, here's the link: https://discord.gg/DJxgag3
  • Hi Guys

I know we're nearing the first submission deadline but I wanted to share a thought before we all get distracted by reviews and prizes. Having watched our first, second and third years (along side some pros) on the Durban campus dig deep and make some really amazing games and generally having a great jam experience, I would like to personally thank @Free_lives for putting this game jam together. It really does make a difference having a local game jam (with such epic prizes) and I know that all of our students, from all of the Vega campuses, are better game developers for it.

So thank you. What you contribute to the South African development community is noticed, valued, and appreciated.

(And thanks, too, to Vega for hosting in Cape Town and Durbs ;) You most amazing lecturers, you).