[Event] Jhb Community Evening - 11 June 2019

edited in Events
- This event happens monthly (2nd Tuesday of each month)
- is free to attend and
- anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 11 June.
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. Auditorium 3

Content

- 6:00 - 7:00 Grab food elsewhere + bonding time (Microsoft serves food at 6pm and it generally goes quite fast.)
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)

==
- Entellect Challenge 2019 (Speaker TBC)
In this talk we will introduce the Entelect Challenge and what it is about. Besides an introduction to the challenge, this talk includes a demo on starting out to build your own bot, entering the competition and competing in the tournaments for the prize money. We will end of with an overview of the systems making this possible, talk about how we built the different parts of the system and show how we used a serverless architecture and containers to make all of this possible and run the challenge in the cloud.
- Is The Quest For Consumer VR Over? (Steven Tu)
Steven brings an Oculus Quest (standalone VR headset released internationally 21 May) and demonstrates what a console-level VR device means for VR, for game devs, and for everyone. And a short look at how to develop for a Quest

===

- Demo Slot 1 (10 min)
- Demo Slot 2 (10 min)

===

- Discussion Slot

===

- Playtest Pitchathon (if you're playtesting a game, we ask that you give a 30 second pitch to the room about what the game is, before we all break off and play things).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Board game prototypes can and will be played so bring along your prototypes!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the Facebook event (Not mandatory, so don't worry if you don't have/use Facebook) https://www.facebook.com/events/391938801663211/

===

If you are interested in giving a talk or demo for a meetup, drop a reply in the thread with what you'd like to do or send me a PM :)

Special note: As discussed at the previous meetup, I (Steven Tu) have taken over the running of the meetups from @karuji as he's become super busy with his masters degree. Thanks for all your work with the community dude, and honestly there's probably not going to be much difference between him and me organising :) (hopefully!)

Feel free to ping me for any questions.

See ya'll there!

Comments

• Thanks @karuji and @Tuism for your service :)
    Thanked by 2Tuism Fengol
  • By the way, I'll be doing a little talk about on the Oculus Quest & consumer VR :)
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Second talk about the Entelect Challenge 2019 presented by someone from Entelect posted.
  • Updated a bit more context of what my little Quest talk will be about :)
    - Is The Quest For Consumer VR Over? (Steven Tu)
    Steven brings an Oculus Quest (standalone VR headset released internationally 21 May) and demonstrates what a console-level VR device means for VR, for game devs, and for everyone. And a short look at how to develop for a Quest
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Hey I'm compiling news for next month, please remember to drop me anything if you want to share it with the community :)