[Playtesting and Feedback] Terran Colonisers (Tower Defence, RTS Game)

edited in Projects
I require some feedback on my project that I have to complete for my course.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ra2_74-_LTsL06HVUimeMmMDQ1pNKjyL

EDIT
----------------------------
I uploaded a playable Prototype to itch.io with 14 Levels and a proper "How to Play" section.
https://v-master.itch.io/terran-colonisers
Hope you enjoy!

Comments

• edited
    I tried to play but I have no idea what the different turrets are or how much they cost. I clicked after placing the first turrent and nothing seemed to happen.

Please add a tooltip with the names and costs of the different turrets and, preferably, what the turret does.
    Thanked by 3Tuism ashashza VMASTER
  • Hey, I played a few tries. Eventually got to Wave 9 and then the game crashed.

It took me some time and experimenting... but as I understand it the game is about upgrading towers and making towers target specific enemies? (rather than typical tower placement and upgrades for a TD game). I love TD games, mostly for strategically building my base and picking which towers to upgrade and when, so I'd be curious to see if part of that fun carries over to a targeting and upgrading focus.

Notes I jotted down while playing:
    - I liked the visuals on the central ship. The other art assets don't feel congruent right now but the central ship has it's own character.
    - Initially it wasn't clear that the bottom buttons were to target enemies. I thought they were to place a new type turret.
    - Cost of upgrading turrets wasn't clear to me.
    - The enemy health bar indicators weren't clear to me. It looks like you're using Unity sliders, maybe there is a more intuitive way to indicate this.
    - I'm not sure what the XXX / 1000 counter (underneath resources) was indicating.
    - At points I felt like I needed to move really quickly to have towers target different enemies. I would have liked hotkeys to be able to do this faster than clicking manically.
    - It was hard to me to match target button colours to enemy colours. I was madly pressing the purple button and wondering why the light purple enemies weren't being targeted.
    - After a turret has died, it seems free to rebuild it?

Out of curiosity, how long have you spent putting this prototype together?
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • Fengol said:
    I tried to play but I have no idea what the different turrets are or how much they cost. I clicked after placing the first turrent and nothing seemed to happen.

Please add a tooltip with the names and costs of the different turrets and, preferably, what the turret does.
    Basically, all the turrets are the same but, the player has to set each turrets' current target and Enemy type to attack. The names of each one appear above the target selection bar (North, East, South, West). The costs to upgrade are in multiples of 50. So the first upgrade requires 50 Resources. The 2nd upgrade requires 100 Resources. The 3rd requires 150 and so forth.
    Thank you for the feedback, I'll add the costs and other factors.
  • ashashza said:
    Hey, I played a few tries. Eventually got to Wave 9 and then the game crashed.

It took me some time and experimenting... but as I understand it the game is about upgrading towers and making towers target specific enemies? (rather than typical tower placement and upgrades for a TD game). I love TD games, mostly for strategically building my base and picking which towers to upgrade and when, so I'd be curious to see if part of that fun carries over to a targeting and upgrading focus.

Notes I jotted down while playing:
    - I liked the visuals on the central ship. The other art assets don't feel congruent right now but the central ship has it's own character.
    - Initially it wasn't clear that the bottom buttons were to target enemies. I thought they were to place a new type turret.
    - Cost of upgrading turrets wasn't clear to me.
    - The enemy health bar indicators weren't clear to me. It looks like you're using Unity sliders, maybe there is a more intuitive way to indicate this.
    - I'm not sure what the XXX / 1000 counter (underneath resources) was indicating.
    - At points I felt like I needed to move really quickly to have towers target different enemies. I would have liked hotkeys to be able to do this faster than clicking manically.
    - It was hard to me to match target button colours to enemy colours. I was madly pressing the purple button and wondering why the light purple enemies weren't being targeted.
    - After a turret has died, it seems free to rebuild it?

Out of curiosity, how long have you spent putting this prototype together?
    Based on what someone found out when playing, they indicated that the status bar (the white box on the bottom right corner) ended up going over the engine's limit and is why the game keeps on crashing. So I am aiming for a Neon/Cel Shaded look. Not all the assets and art are finish however. A lot of the stuff is just placeholder. I will add some indicators to the cost of the turret upgrades. I did originally have a GUIbox to show the Health, but the sliders seemed less "crowded", I will look into a better alternative. The "XXX/1000" counter was the Health of the Ship/Base. I will implent some hotkeys, that is a great idea. The colour on the enemy health slider will determine which target should be attacked. It isn't free, you just have a lot of resources stocked up XD. This is a semester long project that I started on back in Feb, I have been working on it every 2nd week in order to balance other things.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Thanked by 1ashashza
  • edited
    I uploaded a playable Prototype to itch.io with 14 Levels and a proper "How to Play" section.
    https://v-master.itch.io/terran-colonisers
    Hope you enjoy!
  • I figured out you click on the white block "Upgrade <Direction>" to buy the turret and then click on the different colours to switch between types! The game became playable.

So far so good :D I'm looking forward to more development on the title.
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • Fengol said:
    I figured out you click on the white block "Upgrade <Direction>" to buy the turret and then click on the different colours to switch between types! The game became playable.

So far so good :D I'm looking forward to more development on the title.
    Thanks!
    I will probably add different turrets and variety types as well as small in-engine cutscenes, sometime in the future.