School Project Interview: 14 questions on Game Development :)

Hey guys!

I need to interview people who work in the field that I'm interested in pursuing, which is in my case Game Development/Design. I spoke to @dislekcia (who has been super kind and helpful) and he told me to post my questions here, if anyone wants to answer them.

These questions were originally made for employees working at a company that I would be job-shadowing, but if you are self-employed or don't have an official "title", just say whatever suits you. You don't have to answer all of them. Your answers can be short or long, I don't mind! Any help is really appreciated. :)

1. What is your official position within the company?
2. What do you do day per day within the company?
3. How long have you been working here?
4. What did you study in order to qualify for this job and how long did it take you?
5. What did you do in order to earn experience required for this job?
6. Have you learnt new things while in this position?
7. Was this position easily available or in very high demand?
8. What are some qualities in a person that are important for this career?
9. What can a high-schooler do in order to gain the edge over others who want to pursue this career?
10. Are you satisfied with this job? Why or why not?
11. Is it easy doing this job? Why or why not?
12. Was this career your first choice?
13. Does this job give you enough work/home balance?
14. Do you think that pursuing this career is a good choice?

Thank you for answering!

Comments

• edited
    Welcome to MGSA!

I work at Free Lives. My official position is "Game Developer", which I chose myself to be purposefully vague (but isn't helpful at all to answering interviews, unless you want to get into why). For most of my career, however, I advertised myself as a "Technical Artist", so I'll be answering most of the questions wearing that hat.

A lot of the time I make art assets for our games. Sometimes I write tools or shaders, sometimes it's marketing material, sometimes it's prototyping something that I find interesting, and sometimes it's just learning something that I find cool that we might be able to use later. In a larger team, the things I'd do would likely be much narrower, but in a smaller team people tend to do lots of different things.

I started working here back in 2014, but left to work overseas for a while. I didn't enjoy that job, so I returned last year. I've been working in the game industry for 8.5 years, and at Free Lives for about 3 of them.

4. What did you study in order to qualify for this job and how long did it take you?
    I posted work on MGSA fairly regularly, and was building a portfolio and showreel based on the work I'd done previously. In it were bits of art, interesting shaders, an auto-rigger and some pipeline tools. Free Lives at the time was particularly interested in the shader- and tech art-related skills, because it wanted to have the option of expanding the sorts of art that the studio could do to look more expensive and fancy.

When I first got into games as an intern years ago, I had an art portfolio that had a game character and some game assets with breakdowns, and a lot of miscellaneous art (a traditionally-drawn comic, some 3D renders, some digital illustrations and some photography).

In my view, studios have only ever cared that I could do what my showreel or portfolio claims I can do, and they've only ever been interested in me because of what's in my showreel or portfolio. I have friends who got BA postgrad degrees who struggled to find work, and others who found work right out of high school because they were already doing interesting things.

I do have a 3-year BSC in Computational and Applied Maths, and a diploma in Visual Communication (it was 2 years of a 3 year BA degree; I was top student for two years before dropping out). There were parts of both degrees that were interesting and useful, but it was a very indirect path. I don't think I'd recommend someone study what I studied unless they weren't in a hurry, and had a lot of money to spend on an indirect path. (But I'm not sure if there's a direct path either. Tech art is pretty niche, so few places think to teach it. There's one local place that claimed to, but in my view it did an awful job of it.) I think most people who end up as tech artists started off being artists and gradually picked up some programming experience on the side, or vice versa.

When I had no work experience, I interned at a game studio over my university holidays. Those holidays were really long, and I figured if I worked over my holidays, then by the time most other people graduated from a 3 year degree, I would technically have squeezed in almost an extra year in work experience. When I couldn't find internships, I set myself personal projects that I'd work on -- there'd typically be some game art competition happening somewhere online, or an online course that I'd sign up for.

I learn new things all of the time. Part of it is because game technology is constantly progressing, so there's always new stuff to learn. Some of it is because I'm never satisfied with my art, and try to be better. Some of it is just from working with people who're better than me at other things. Some of it is because there are always new problems to solve: each game has its own distinctive requirements depending on the kind of game, its art direction, and whom I'm working with.

Technical artists are still in very high demand. In its broadest sense, technical art describes someone who does some amount of art, and some amount of scripting/programming. Within tech art in games, however, there are typically four sub-genres: rigging (e.g. making a skeleton that is used to animate a character), tools (e.g. something that lets you scatter objects in a world instead of manually placing them), FX (e.g. magic spells, muzzle flashes and explosions) and UI. I'm confident that in over 90% of game studios that post on job boards online, at one of the jobs is for a tech art position (it's just maybe not called that, because of the different sub-genres). It's difficult to find people who're interested in both art and programming, and it's not something you typically find in a course.

As a personal side note, although there's high demand in terms of job postings, I don't believe that there's a high demand for "junior"-looking work. I don't think it's good enough to be able to do a bit of art and a bit of programming; I think you at the very least have to be a competent artist with an interest in programming, or a competent programmer with an interest in art. I think this is likely reflects why most tech artists start out as just artists, or just programmers, and pick up the other skills when they're already working.

I answer more of this below in 13, but I think it's important that it's something you're really interested in. If you're fiddling with game prototypes for as much time as you spend watching Netflix just because you're having fun, that's a really good sign.

But, as with most creative careers, it's also quite risky, especially if you're coming at it from the art-side. It sort of sucks to mention this as a "quality", but having access to decent internet, funds for online art courses, and funds to survive the initial period of internships and poor junior salaries would be helpful.

9. What can a high-schooler do in order to gain the edge over others who want to pursue this career?
    Unity and Unreal are free. Blender is free. Visual Studio is free. There are educational licenses for Houdini, Maya and 3DS Max. Pencils and paper are very cheap. There's nothing stopping you from making games, or making art, already. Making small projects, taking part in game jams (there are online ones as well as local ones) give you some early experience, and show that you're interested enough in it to pursue it without a teacher or lecturer first telling you that it's something you need to learn.

Yes. I have a lot of interests and get bored easily. Making games on a small team helps with both of those.

No. Figuring out what would be fun to make, fun to play, would confidently well very well, and is within the capability of your team's skill and resources, is hard.

Yes. I took a while to get to it though, because I initially didn't think it was possible to make a career out of making video games. I figured, eh, if I can't do what I'd love to do, then I'll study what'll likely make me the most money. I went through actuarial science and applied maths (the latter of which pushed me towards investment banking) before being super depressed imagining doing those for the rest of my life, fled to art for a while intending to be a 3D artist, and then discovered that South African game studios actually existed and had some really solid people working at them.

In general, the game industry is quite notorious for working people quite hard, and this is common to almost all creative careers. My friends who work in advertising have had a lot more crunch than I have.

In my career personally though, I've seldom worked very long hours as a job. I think I could count on my fingers (and maybe toes) the number of Saturdays/Sundays I've worked as overtime in the past 8 years for an employer. However, I think I could count on my fingers (and maybe toes) the number of weekends in which I didn't do some form of creative thing either: I paint, I take part in game jams, I sculpt, I write, and I read blogs, papers and articles about other people making art and video games. I do these because I enjoy them as hobbies anyway, not because my employer asks me to do them, but they do benefit my work too.

I think it's easy to be exploited as a creative person if you're not careful, but I also think it'd be difficult to do well if you don't want to do some form of creative pursuit after hours.

For me, absolutely.
  • 1. What is your official position within the company?
    I am a private game developer. Hence, I am my own company or something like that.

I am basically stepping into my projects as often as I can and doing as much as I can. I accidentally chose my two projects to focus on need procedural generation, and that is what is slowing me currently. Some days I just read the code for a few minutes, some days I change one or two lines of code, and others I sit for hours when an idea hits and I can focus on something impressive in my ideas.

I have been private for a few years, I did do internships at some companies (like Luma Arcade, and Microsoft for instance, I just have less memory of those times). I have been dreaming of game dev as a job for the last ~14 years.

IT in high school, Computer Science and Math majors at university. I don't have my degree yet though, I learned programming as my dad was teaching himself as a younger kid. Mostly, it is just for me to practice programming currently, and hopefully, my ideas will be awesome when they are playable. I just need to practice programming as often as I can, and it is enjoyable in game development.

I went to meetups (like at rAge, or the monthly meets at Microsoft), took part in "jams" we have had (though rarely now), and when I feel something awesome in the theme I join things like Ludum Dare.

We can always learn new things. That's why I am learning proper procedural generation for the first time. I didn't experience that at all while at university so far. It is awesome to go "I would like to do X and Y" and then research it for myself and try things out. It really helps the learning cycles.

I can't really share more than what I have seen and read on the news, though, it is somewhat skewed. Considering my friends, and lots of other people are quite hooked on games. Especially new, interesting, ones. The news reports have been showing that companies wanting developers is picking up a lot every few months. That isn't in game development though, I think that is slightly more difficult. It would be easier to get a game development career through an international company at the moment. Though, that's unless you are financially stable at the moment and have a game idea and plan that people already want to pay for.

We have quite a few game development companies here in SA, they just have employment limits for themselves. It has to do with project sizes and things, it would currently be easiest to learn as much as you can so you can get an international game dev job.

Having interesting thoughts, and creativity. I am not great at art, but I love challenging puzzle projects (that's why I am making a puzzle game and a roguelike). If you love being creative in drawing things (and one day also animating things, and such) you could be enjoying game development.

If you get completely comfortable with programming and you enjoy some games, you could see you love doing certain aspects of game development as hobbies (my hobby isn't just those games I mentioned, I am playing with DirectX 12 from the ground up). That being said, however, it is important to remember that you might not enjoy game development. It is easiest to try it for yourself for a while, then you will understand if it is the programming you would like to move into.

Make it your hobby and pass time, I'm sure you can understand that. I finished work this weekend, my parents are out of town, my friends can't do anything, I don't feel like just watching TV or playing PC games. Since I am a Computer Science major student it is awesome for me to practice programming. I love making games, that means learning things with programming are fun. "I want to use a database to store the save files", then I learn everything to do with databases and enjoy it as if it isn't such a "hardcore" computer science idea. I remember it easier because whenever I touch databases I remember the game I created that saved files in a database (for some daft reason I chose).

Yes, however, that is since I suffered very unfortunate circumstances (I can share them privately for the school project alone, however, we will keep that private). For me, this year I need to learn completely new things regularly, and I have been coping with that since I have such a comfortable exercise to "relax" and "stop working". Sure, it is also "working" on games, but I love it and the time I spend feels awesome for me.

Yes, and no. We can always help you get into it easily, then help you slowly but surely make your first game, and so on. It isn't easy as game ideas aren't quite like that. As you add anything it becomes more difficult. Like me adding procedural generation to my existing ideas? You might be close to the end of a project, move to the next feature you will be adding and then it becomes a stumbling block as it slows you down a lot.

Consider this example. I make a game state where all the machinery is working in a factory. You make a machine that you can play Tetris on, let's call it "state 1". You want it to open the new play "state 2" to play Tetris when the player interacts with that computer. We don't want the update of the "state 1" as that would fake us clicking a button on "state 1"s screens, we only want the "update" from "state 2" but the other machinery in our factory should be updated since we are playing this game while waiting for "copper to smelt" and it is slightly boring as it slowly heats up and melts. That state difference just adds a bit of complexity. It gives reasons for learning things like that, which is awesome, and makes it a bit more fun to look at things like threading. You can always find interesting things to learn, they just might be quite difficult. That's why it is more towards the "no", you can enjoy it and not worry about the difficulties, however, it isn't completely easy on its own.

I have wanted to be a full-time game developer from when I first learned to programme (at around 12 or 13).

Not quite, as the computer that I use is at home, and obviously, I live here. So I'm not sure about this.

It is as good as pursuing any career. If you absolutely love making games when you first experience that you will potentially be just like me and go "I would love to pursue that as my career in the future".

When I was a student at Wits and helped out in the computer labs. We had a high school bring their students to see what can happen at any department at the university for their subject choices (at grade 10 if I remember correctly?). Everyone was confused how we could get them interested in programming as the students that were coming had no experience using computers yet. Us as students suggested making a game using scratch, in the afternoon they were free to go back to any department they liked and we had tons coming back to the coputer labs we used as they loved the fact they could program and make games there. It was awesome.

So yes, you might love it, then just come into it and have some fun!
  • edited
    A perspective of an indie developer with no interest in making game dev a career where you do not own the game yourself and you're making it for a company/someone else.

I do game development as a hobby, but would swap it for doing game development as a career anyday in place of a professional career of 23+ years doing corporate software engineering in many, many industries. Why swap? Because it is creative and fullfilling. Why not swap? Because risk-wise (aka paying the bills) game development is financially not viable for too many reasons.

I sometimes wake up at 4am and then code game prototypes, afterwards leaving for a day job doing corporate software development work. I then return home and spend at least an hour or two on prototypes (weekends, usually 10+ hours per day), be it adding a feature, tweaking something, anything creative or simply watching motivational youtube videos
    about game dev. Game dev is extremely fun and fulfilling, but needs to be carefully considered as a career option.

I have been making game prototypes (MonoGame/Unity) for just over 5 years. A lot shorter than my professional corporate development career. I have made no money doing game dev. Not a cent. I have no regrets.

My 4 year B.Tech degree in IT (software development) helps a lot with the coding aspects of making a game.
    Although most of the coding knowledge was actually gained, after the fact, in industry making software for corporates.
    I do regret not focussing on making art or understanding marketing as well. Indie developers need to be multi disciplined if they are to succeed in it as a career, especially as an independent. If you want to focus on it as a career, then you need to specialise in a specific area that employers value (programming/art etc)

Worked in corporates making non-gaming related software. Playing many,many games is an easy way to gain experience as a game designer.

Absolutely. Game development is a journey, it is very hard and it takes an extreme amount of time to master.
    You will learn new things all the time. Which is fun and rewarding.

As a hobbyist game developer it is easily available, professionally not so. I don't think I would seek a position in any company unless it is my own. Corporates being the reason. You won't ever own your work that way or have the creative freedom to make the decisions for where you want to go creatively.

Be stubborn. Be driven. Be passionate. Don't compete with others, compete with yourself. Be unique.

Gain experience as often as possible. Don't wait for an employer to afford the opportunity for that experience.
    Gain it on your own first and then use whatever employers can offer you to grow. Or preferably do both at the same time.

Yes, very. Being able to create and share any creative work is extremely rewarding.

No, NO. I have regrets. Despite the creative, enjoyable work and the long hours, dedication and isolation has a huge, HUGE impact on other things in ones life. Family, friends, relations all suffer if one is truely focused and driven, selfish perhaps.

No, although games were the very reason I first became interested in programming in the first place.
    I cannot tell you how many of the best corporate programmers I have met that said the same, but they have never considered making a basic game/prototype. It's weird.

Nope. I feel deep remorse at giving so much attention to game dev at the expense of my relationship with a loving partner who supports me unconditionally and all the times I passed on an opportunity to hang out with friends because of it.

No, not as a career. For simple financial reasons. Start doing it as a hobby/part-time and when you do find it is what you want to do and you have a real shot at it being financially viable, then consider it as a career.
  • A bit late, but hopefully still helpful for those reading this thread...

I work full time at Spry Fox (I also work on a bunch of other side project games, but I'll avoid those for now). Like most small studios, roles are fairly flexible and not super important within the company itself, but I'll call myself a "Senior Engineer" when I want to sound official, or a "Game Developer" if I'm talking with friends

Spry Fox is a fully-remote company, so I work from home (most of my colleagues are in different timezones). I spend a large chunk of my time turning designs and ideas into code, and then a bigger chunk of time polishing and fixing bugs in that code ;) Sometimes I also help with some game design or other tasks, depending on other team mates' availability and project needs.

Just shy of 2 years now.

I have a degree in electronic & electrical engineering with computer science, and a master in computer science. All together that took 6 years. I also co-founded a small game dev studio, Clockwork Acorn, and helped run that for ~3.5 years before working at Spry Fox.

While my masters was enjoyable, and serves as a good fallback, if I had spent that time just making more games I'd probably be better positioned now. Starting Clockwork Acorn was a much more valuable learning experience in terms of what I do today (but I didn't know what I'd be doing today when I decided to do a masters).

Besides what I mentioned above, I regularly attended local meetups and tried to make a bunch of small games and prototypes.

Yip! Probably too numerous to name them all, but off the top of my head: Unity, MMO architecture, designing systems for much larger games than I'd worked on before. The reality is that if you want to work in the game dev industry, you will need to constantly be learning new things - it's a rapidly changing industry and you need to be able to learn and keep up with new developments. I view this as one of the best parts of the job - things are always new and exciting!

For obvious reasons I wasn't privy to my hiring process, but based on subsequent hires: Spry Fox is a delightful place to work, and we have fostered a good reputation for this, so when a position opens up we tend to get a lot of applicants. Combined with the fact that we don't hire very often, the number of candidates for positions like this tend to outweigh the number of well-paying positions at small companies like this.

- Good communication skills - you have to work with others in your team
    - Empathy - it's important to be able to put yourself in the shoes of your players
    - Willingness to learn - the industry is constantly changing, so you need to be able to adapt and learn
    - Other hobbies - games are cool, but the best designers get some/most of their ideas from hobbies and activities outside of the industry

If there's a meetup nearby: attend those regularly, ask questions and learn for local developers. Either way: make games and prototypes in your free time. Use tools like Game Maker, Twine, Bitsy, PuzzleScript, or w/e works for you, find a good tutorial or two and get starting making your first game; then make your 2nd, then 3rd, ... Congrats you're a game dev! Now just keep making games and learning as you go. As someone that's hired a developers in the past: almost all the time I'd much sooner hire someone that has a portfolio of prototypes they've made, over someone with a fancy degree or three.

Yes, very. I get to work with a lovely team on exciting new projects, all from the comfort of my home while working flexi-hours. Not only that, but I get to see how my work has an immediate and positive effect on players' current emotional state and hopefully lives :)

Making games is hard - it's just always super complicated and takes a long time. It helps a lot that I enjoy the work and it's very rewarding, but it's still hard. Electronic or software engineering would have been much easier IMHO

When I was deciding on what to study and a career, I never actually considered game dev. Probably because I didn't really know any game developers, so I hadn't considered it as a viable career. It's been a while now, but IIRC my plan was to do electronic and/or software engineering, so that's why I studied what I did. But then I decided to try the game dev thing a bit more seriously and one thing led to another...

I work flexi-hours from home, so it's tough to keep a balance, but ultimately that's entirely within my own control :)

It depends on your situation, but probably not. Do you have a drive to make games, and can you afford to spend years learning on the job, with zero to no direct income from the games you're making? Then sure, making games can be a rewarding choice. If you (understandably) can't afford that, but still really want to try get into the industry, then you need a very good support structure and fallback plan. For me that was my engineering degree and the support from my friends & family. That said, the reality is that even with all of that, a huge number of people try to enter the industry every year, and the vast majority of them aren't able to make enough money to live off it after years of gruelling work - it's a tough career!
  • 1. What is your official position within the company?
    I work at RenderHeads as Production/Project Manager/Operations Manager.

I cover a couple fo different roles. As Production/Project Manager, I get to oversee the studio schedule on a macro level, but also get involved in projects at a micro level. Looking at the overview, I plan what projects we work on next, who will work on them (based on both skill and availability), and consider the required delivery date for the client. Once a project is in production, I manage the daily running of the project with the developers, organise what they need in terms of info/assets from the client or other sources, and act as a buffer for them to be able to focus on their work. I also get to make a lot of spreadsheets, which I really enjoy.

As the Operations Manager, I largely take care of recruitment, contracting and HR. Most of what I do revolves around being as operationally efficient as possible.

Nearly three years.

I studied for a year and got a diploma in Broadcast Television. That in itself did not qualify me for this position. My work history did that.

My employment history is incredibly varied. I've worked as a stock footage librarian, bookkeeper, receptionist, 3d artist, animation teacher, 2d animation pipeline technical lead, animation director, game designer, project manager, and a few other things in between. All of these have given me a broad range of skills and the ability to talk to both creative and technical staff about the projects they work on and the challenges they will face. It's also given me a fairly accurate BS detector, which is very useful in my position.

Always. If you're not learning new things, move on.

I do not think there are enough positions available locally for my particular skillset. A lot of smaller game/animation companies tend to run as lean as possible, with the owner taking on more responsibilities than they need to. Having operational efficiency means that they will be able to focus on either new business or development/art, while offloading the general running and scheduling to someone like me.

Empathy, communication, and an understanding of the various disciplines of your team. Pretty much in that order. The last point can be learnt on the job, but without empathy or great communication skills, it will be very difficult for you and your team to get work delivered on time and with a a good sense of team accomplishment.

Learn as much as you can about all the parts of the pipeline, and work on being a strong communicator. Learn how to be organised, plan and follow through on things.

Very satisfied. We get to to work on some really exciting projects, work with a lovely group of people, and I get to bury my head in spreadsheets.

The process itself is easy, but making sure there is enough time for you to check in with your team and ensure everyone is as comfortable and productive as possible can be a challenge. It's easy to reduce all developers/artists to just being resources that need to get stuff done quickly, but making sure the human element is taken care of is so important. Time management is also an important aspect, as well s knowing when to panic about an issue. Keeping calm so the rest of your team doesn't feel any pressure until they need to is vital, and can be a bit tough sometimes.

As a 10-year old, I wanted to write software to drive custom hardware for a living. I would make my own circuit boards and control them in BASIC from my ZX Spectrum. When I got to high school, I discovered the arts and wanted to be a stage lighting technician, which is why I went to study where I did. But then I discovered television and that changed again and led me down the path I'm on now. So I'm kinda involved the same sort of stuff I originally I wanted to do, but in a very different position.

Yes, it's one for he reasons the company was started. The founders worked in AAA and wanted some work/life balance, so they started their own company. I do my best to ensure everyone here still has that.

Absolutely. There is a shortage of planning on most projects, so having more people who understand that will ultimately make everyone happier.
    Thanked by 2Elyaradine yayokb
  • Thank you all for the replies! I know that this is a long questionnaire and has the potential for answers to go in-depth, but it is still very helpful! :) Have a good day.